Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - just trying to do some planning and learn about what oil leak repairs are an engine out job. My '73 Spider makes my bRitish cars seem oil tight, which is saying something.

Thanks!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hear you...my S3 had its clutch replaced by the previous owner with express purpose of replacing the rear main seal. Nice fresh clutch, but leaks like a sieve! When I get ambitious, I will pull the tranny and see about a new seal AGAIN!

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
tdskip said:
what oil leak repairs are an engine out job
A lot depends on whether you have access to a lift. If you don't, but are willing to work lying on your back underneath the car for prolonged periods, you can do pretty much everything with the engine in place. At least in theory. In practice if you have to do anything very major, it's more pleasant to just pull the engine and work standing up.

I hear you...my S3 had its clutch replaced by the previous owner with express purpose of replacing the rear main seal. Nice fresh clutch, but leaks like a sieve! When I get ambitious, I will pull the tranny and see about a new seal AGAIN!
It is possible that your leak is coming from the "cigarette" seals and not the rear main seal. Or that the rear main popped out due to crankcase pressure (not much holds them in).

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
There are a couple of good brands of rear main seal and also some bad ones. I think that Corteca is the name of a good one. Spruell sells them. I don't recommend replacing one from the underside of the car. It is a painstaking job to get them in properly when the engine is on a stand. There have been discussions about this in several threads.

·
Richard Jemison
7,394 Posts
Leaks

Not the Seal that is needing replacing, as well the rear main bearing needs to be pulled and the ciggerette seals replaced uding Ultra Gewy belw them.
Then clean out the excess ultra grey sealant arounf the crank, then install the crank seal. Then no leaks.
Rj

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good morning, hope everyone had a good week.

It appears my leaks are concentrated at the bell housing to engine mount. I also changed out the shifter from the donor car and there was quite a bit of gearbox oil present where the shifter mount it.

Given that the leak happens when the car is stationary that would appear to not be a crank case pressure issue (thank you for that idea something to check however).

If this were one of my British cars I would immediately assume that the rear engine seal was bad which is an engine out job to fix even though it's a $15 part. Maybe thinking along similar lines here?

Thanks again for the coaching as i learn about this part of the car and the seals for the first time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts