Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
to fit it to an 83, you will need to open up and change thre input selector shaft to the type used on the 83 gearbox,so that you can use your 83 linkage, unless yuo are going to be brave and rebuild/use the isostatic linkage that is, which IMHO is crap, too many moving parts. alter the pivot ratio on the original 83 gear linkage whilst under there, put 83 selector shaft in the TS box, and you have a winner.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I think you need to alter the Speedo stuff too, I think the 83 GTV6 and all Milanos use different Speedo sensors and black boxes.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that it?...sounds alot simpler than expected...what about the rear axle outputs..i hear there diferent?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Yeah, the slave cylinder setup seems different, but I know that it has been done without too many issues. I think that maybe changing the forward case-section does it (together with the input shaft...)

If you are not going to be running monstrous power, I would not even bother with the smaller output shafts on the sides...

·
Registered
324 Posts
yeah I would agree with that too. if you are running the standard 160 hp, the TS box will be fine, no need to mess with the outputs. if you are going to be running 220+ hp, the TS box is probably too fragile. I cant remember what exactly is needed for the speedo. But if memory serves me correctly, the 83 type sender is analogue, where as the later stuff is pulse signal generated stuff, so you will need to change your speedo in the 83, and aquire a signal amplifier box and sender unit too. hence maybe easier as JJ says, to change the forward case?

out of interest, what re you looking to achieve going to the TS box?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Also, since this is going in to a custom project, you'll probably have to figure out the speedo-sending separately any way, so it' doesn't matter...

When are we going to see a seperate thread and pictures on that thing boss!?

Since this involves a Milano/75 TS box, you should probably also x-post the question to the other forum - I knew that it was here and even had to go look for the thread...

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well it wont be going into my "lloyd/milano" project for atleast a year or more..its slated to go into my gtv6 to get it going again....once the lloyd is done and ive proven that the box in it is good THEN and only then will i consider swaping the boxes but at that point i will probably just look at re-building the milano diff

the TS box is going into the gtv6, i know nothing about the engine background tho...it was swaped out by the previous owner who got it online from someone back east..other than knowing its under 70k miles on it...im 99% positive the cams were swaped to some S-cams or better..the car pulls like a lightly modded small block v8..or atleast thats the way it feels to me and ive got my fair share of 4brl v8's.........and the gtv6 did managed to "clunk" the stock pegleg diff

MJR
what in the TS setup is "weak" in relation to a milano or gtv6 or alfetta setup....it was my understanding that other than gear ratio changes that the actual center gearbox section was essentially the same on all of them and that the guts interchanged across the board

cant the speed sender be unbolted and swaped?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anyone else with some input?

will the TS survive behind a 3.0?...if i ever came across one ?

·
Registered
324 Posts
"weak" perhaps thats the wrong word really. according to the transaxle manuals, the gear sets were strengthened for the V6 stuff, ie the TS box is the same but I believe the gearsets are not as strong. you should be fine hooked up to a stock 3.0 though. As fr as I know the sender set up is different than the early boxes, not as simple as swapping senders over

1 - 11 of 11 Posts