Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Several years ago I bought a set of Chromodora Campanatura 38 alloy wheels to fit to my '67 GTV - as pictured.

My wheels came of a wrecked Super, and came with a mismatched set of cast metal chrome plated Alfa badges in the centres.

As you can see in the pics, the badges have a screw in the back. The rear ones are held against the wheel with a piece of round sheet metal from the inside of the wheel, which is anchored to the badge by the screw.
The front badges don't fit directly to the wheel as the screw interferes with the hub, and so these were held in with some plastic centre caps - that are broken, and were held in place with silicone sealant.

I like the look of these badges, but they don't sit right and have been attached in a rather ham-fisted manner, threatening to fly off when the car is on the move:eek:. So I'd like to replace them with a badge designed for these wheels that will stay securely in place.

So to the point;
Does anyone know what badges/caps should sit in the centre of these wheels and where I can obtain a set?
Does anyone know what model/wheel these badges are from? I've never seen another set like these and I'm curious to know their origin?

I'm not a stickler for originality, but I'd rather my badges don't become airborne ninja stars while I'm driving one day.
I can probably make something to secure them better, but if there's an off the shelf option it'd make my life easier - and perhaps someone is requiring this cast set that I have for their car.

Cheers,
Col

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry Rossano. I was just adding the pic as you replied. Quick trigger finger there mate! ;)

Here's a clearer set of pics.
I should also add the badges measure 55mm from edge to edge, and I have a full set of four. I've removed only the front two for the pics.

Cheers,
-Col-

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
4,415 Posts
The center caps you have posted are from original Cromodora CD-35 "Daytona" wheels. They are probably worth some $$ to someone looking for a spare.

As you have found out - they sure don't belong on the "Turbina" wheels in your photos...

Joe

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe,

I've always wondered about the origin of these badges.
They're very appealing to the eye and it's unusual to see something so ornate in the middle of a wheel, so they've always been a curiosity to me.

Are you able to tell me what is supposed to sit in the middle of my Turbina's? And importantly, where I can find the correct badges for my wheels? :D

Cheers,
-Col-

·
Registered
222 Posts
Centerline and others, have 48mm badges in silver with black highlites as well as black with silver highlites. I've used these on Turbinas before. I think they have a retaining "c" clip to hold them on.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Scott,

I've gone and had a look at the Centerline catalogue. The odd thing is that the hole in the centre of these wheels measures 54mm, and the largest wheel center caps I can find are 48mm:confused:. I would need a badge with a diameter of about 60mm to keep it in place.

Bugger!

But I guess I just found out why this particular set of Turbinas has the Daytona CD-35 center caps. They're the only caps large enough to cover the 54mm hole - even if only barely.

Hmm... maybe I'll have to keep 'em, and just make 'em fit.
Unless anyone has any suggestions on where I can find Turbina center caps that are large enough.

Cheers,
-Col-

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Colin - Does it look like someone in the past machined the holes larger? I've never seen or heard of Turbinas with holes that big. Short of machining a new ring socket, I don't know what you can do about it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope, they've definitely been cast this way.
It makes sense to me now why the previous owner of the wheels decided to fit these this type of badge.

I don't have access to a lathe and I haven't been able to find 55mm caps for any type of car, so I guess I will have to spend an afternoon beating some sheet metal into cup shapes.
I'll put that on my list of jobs for the future.

Cheers,
-Col-

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those wheels are Cromodora CD 46s. They were an after-market item for Alfas. I have them on my 1975 2000 Spider. They're the most attractive of the various "Turbinias", in my view. My caps are like yours, but mint. They have a red background, with silver alfa cross & serpent, and the fit OVER rather than INTO the center of the wheels. The "spokes" are straight, rather than angled as on the "Turbinias" sold as optional extras on the cars when brand new. Congratulations on having a rare and beautifully-cast set of wheels - very hard to find any references to these CD 46s on the web.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi, this may not be relevant and I don't know what your timescale/budget is but worth checking Ebay.it for center caps - I found a set of cast alu 57mm centers very similar to the ones you have there for my Stilauto wheels from a guy who was re-casting them. They would fit over the aperture comfortably. Or maybe some originals floating about.

Search terms that helped me: Coprimozzo (center caps)
Stemmi (Emblem / crest)
Cerchi (wheels)
Lega (alloy)
oh yes, and... Alfa (apparently a car manufacturer)

Good luck.
R

·
Registered
26 Posts
To "Chris1750":
Your wheels are the Cromodoras fitted from new - the "spokes" have an angle half-way down their length. Compare with the after-market Cromodora CD 46s at the top of this thread, which have the rarer straight-line "spokes". Both are nice. In Australia you find both, depending on whether the car was fitted with alloys from new, or after-market (CD 46s).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys, thanks for the info on the centre caps.
Philip, you certainly have an eye for detail. I love how it's possible to learn such interesting tidbits from other enthusiasts on this BB. Especially things like this that you can't find in books or other resources.

Chris, I'm stunned that you have the same centers. Though yours sit better than mine. Probably thanks to having the correct backs. Two of mine did actually have those metal backs, but they were umm... modified. (beaten and cut into a shallow conical shape for some reason. Presumably to make a better fit). They are so misshapen I never would have thought them to be original without seeing your photos.

Chris, my questions were answered back in 2007 but with the great information that Philip and yourself have supplied I now feel better informed.

I did actually receive an offer some someone in the USA for these centers after they saw them on this thread. I think it was for about $150. But I like them too much to part with them. I like having something different.
I can't say unique anymore, because Chris has a set!

Forgive my taking 18 months to reply. I've had a busy couple of years and have sadly had to take an extended break from all things Alfa.
But seeing this conversation extend over almost 5 years is quite neat, and a great example of the asynchronous communication that the Internet and forums like this have made possible.

Cheers,
Col

1 - 14 of 14 Posts