Alfa Romeo Forums banner

861 - 880 of 886 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
esm 009r wheels

16x8 esm wheels with 30mm offset wearing 225-45-16 tires. just a little trimming to the inside of the front air dam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
355 Posts

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Those would be Chromodora Daytonas. Stock on Spider S3 Veloce models.
No, they are not. That is originally a Campagnola design used as oem on Alfa Spiders. I think an additional version, with slight differences, were made by FPS, While Chromodora also made oem wheels for Alfas, I doubt they made wheels based on this Campy design. The Chromodora "Daytona" is a different wheel and, IMHO, better looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
These were on my 74 spider when I bought it.

I have not been able to find any information on them except that they have been on the car since at least 1977.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,315 Posts

I have not been able to find any information on them except that they have been on the car since at least 1977.
they are nice.....not too far off the classic Momo Vegas, albeit a little bit 'busier'.definitely a 70's classic look!
Seen LOW wheels on a couple of cars like BMW 2002 (see photo) and classic minis.
as well as some variants advertised for alfa.
But, no info out there who made them.....I am guessing they are italian, as that is where most are for sale (rarely for sale, but when then in Italy)

clean them up, then they'll look nice like these:)

the 2nd/3rd photo are other types of LOW

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
New wheels for the black 75 3 litre

The black 1989 3 litre 75 that my son and I share, came with a set of original 14" wheels that were fitted by our Alfa mechanic when the aftermarket 17" ones were stolen during the two years it sat outside his workshop. The tyres had plenty of tread but were all over ten years old and mismatched brands, so we weren't game to push them. After spending time considering various options, including my daughter's old 16" wheels off her 156 and a set of 16" ones off a late 156 that a friend had, I finished up buying a set of almost mint, ROH Envy 17" x 7.5" wheels, fitted with low mileage 215/45/17 tyres, for a lot less than the cost of four new tyres. They were made to suit a late model Alfa GT, so the offset is 35, as opposed to 43 on the 75. The centre bore on the FWD Alfas like the 156, 147 and GT, is 58.1mm, whereas the 75 has 58.6mm, which meant they wouldn't fit without taking .5mm off either the wheels or the hubs. After much thought and research, I decided it would be easier to grind the .25mm all round off the hubs, rather than either pay to have the wheels machined, or run the risk of damaging them by doing it myself somehow. Using a grinding stone on my trusty Dremel and a 40 grit sanding belt turned inside out, I am pleased to say it worked out very well and they fit perfectly, with just the right amount of leeway for the wheel nuts to centralise the wheels. The car drives much better with good tyres that are only about two years old. It is more responsive, quieter and smoother. It also looks much better. Below are before and after photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Compomotive FH

Josh at Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA has been terrific. He stripped the wheels, then even found me a used 205/55-16 tire to mount just to see if it would rub!! Terrific
I wanted to mount the tire and wheel to see if there were any rubbing issues, but they didn't have a 195/55-16 tire, but this works so the 195/55-16 will then work too.

These old Compomotives remind me of my Cromodoras. The brands and options in 16" tires are compelling, so I'm switching. At least for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
In the 1981-'86 GTV6 production runs, there were three rim designs. 1981-'84--- Campagnolos. 1985--- TRX 'phone dials' (metric). 1986--- Speedline 'wine glasses'. Altho, all of these are reasonably attractive and worked with the body shape... I have always been sweet on the phone dials, styling-wise. The problem with these rims is they are metric! Coker purchased the tooling for the TRX tires, so they are still available as new. But, the tire price has climbed to a level that would dissuade most buyers, and the tire construction technology is exactly what it was in 1985.
The following company sells a wheel similar in design to the TRX phone dials.

AR TD ? Ntm Wheels

·
Premium Member
15,431 Posts
16 inch Borbet Type E on both 164, as they are ok looking on the car, not over the top, and easy to clean.

The Milano has the 15 inch Verde wheels since our 89 came new with the Verde rear spoiler, so why not?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks - I was looking for one in dark blue, but then fell in love with that silver :smile2:

[QUOTE=71super;8403116]That's a great pic, and one of the nicest colors I've seen on a Berlina. Really tidy.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Thanks - I was looking for one in dark blue, but then fell in love with that silver :smile2:

[QUOTE=71super;8403116]That's a great pic, and one of the nicest colors I've seen on a Berlina. Really tidy.
[/QUOTE]

Funny, I am not a fan of silver exterior yet 2 of my last cars both sport silver. Berlinas look great in any color, yet silver makes these cars really pop! Very nice example.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

If you find out any information, let me know. I've been asking "experts" for years and the closest answer seems to be Lows. However, the hexagon pattern wheels we have don't have the Lows manufacturing casting marks like the pentagon patterned ones.

Attachments

861 - 880 of 886 Posts