841 - 860 of 886 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Nice! Is that blue original?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
This thread is amazing, but not for the reasons you think.

It is amazing that more people do not think that the 14 x 6 Milia Miglia are the nicest looking wheels in combination with a GTV. IMHO.

Ken
I agree Ken. They don't look bad on my roundtail either

Attachments

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Thanks! Yes, AR347 (medium blue) is the original color. The previous owner, a commercial airline pilot, repainted it during his 35 years with the car.
They look good in blue. It's the second blue one I have seen on the BB in the last few days, but the first isn't original. I didn't know there were blue ones.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
They look good in blue. It's the second blue one I have seen on the BB in the last few days, but the first isn't original. I didn't know there were blue ones.
Thanks! Yes, Alfa Romeo made the Montreal in at least two different shades of blue and perhaps more by special order. There were a few interior color choices, beige with velour or leather seats and a bizarre blue velour and turquoise seat back & door panels with blue carpet; but hey man, it was the 70's, ya know. I understand the 'Isle of Capri' was the motivation for the bizarre blue color scheme (may have been at the time the least popular color, I believe).

The wheels have no identification other than 'RB Milano' on the cross and serpent in the center caps. No size, no offset, purely anonymous and that fits the Alfa to an "A".

I saw the other darker blue car and really like it as well but originally it was the flashy metallic green which is a very popular color. The most popular color for the Montreal was orange and you could have primary orange or metallic orange.

Mark

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The wheels are quite something. I feel I may need a set ...... Any leads?

·
Registered
906 Posts
In the 1981-'86 GTV6 production runs, there were three rim designs. 1981-'84--- Campagnolos. 1985--- TRX 'phone dials' (metric). 1986--- Speedline 'wine glasses'. Altho, all of these are reasonably attractive and worked with the body shape... I have always been sweet on the phone dials, styling-wise. The problem with these rims is they are metric! Coker purchased the tooling for the TRX tires, so they are still available as new. But, the tire price has climbed to a level that would dissuade most buyers, and the tire construction technology is exactly what it was in 1985.

In putting parts aside in creating 'my ultimate' GTV6, I was torn between the beauty of the metric rims and the practicality of the wine glass style. In providing a gentleman in Ireland some of my used GTV6 parts, he had asked if there might be any bits I'd like him to look into over there. Euro parts never seen here. I mentioned that I'd seen pix of a phone dial style from later ALFA FWD models that looked appealing. But, wasn't particularly serious at that point as the shipping would have been killer. Turns out... a good friend here had been offered a design consultancy position from a company in Ireland. This had him flying to Dublin about 4 times a year for meetings. Now the shipping expense became treating him to a nice dinner, on each end.

Stock GTV6s came with 15" rims (and the metric). The 147/156 rims were available in 15, 16, and 17'. So, I settled on a set of five of the 16" Teledials. One arrives about every 4 months. 4 down, 1 to go. I figured by jumping from 15" to 16", and maintaining the original tire O.D., I could get a little less sidewall to help handling... and not affect the spare fitting in the trunk recess, nor worry too much about how much tire I was cramming in the wheel arches. These do require a mild tweaking to enlarge the center hole from behind. The FWD ALFAs are hub-centric, the RWD GTV6 is stud-centric. A few cms shaved off and they snug up fine. These are 1/2" wider than stock, so a bit more rubber on the road. But the offset and extra width worked out to 3/8" to one side, and 1/8" to the other. Nearly centering the rims.

As these Teledials are more modern and designed to work with a very different body shape, I was a bit concerned that they might look out of place on an older GTV6 body. I've decided to have them painted or powder-coated a darker shade of silver so they don't scream too loudly on the car. Closer to a pewter, or the color of duct tape. But, not quite as dark as a gunmetal grey.

Here is a pasted up composite foto to show what I'm shooting for. Borrowed a pic of someone else's GTV6, as their paint job looks like what my final will be.

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
planetmojo2, I think those Teledials look great on GTV6. They should match nose of the car with round headlights perfectly. Please post more once all 4 wheels are on this side of the pond. :001_cool:

I'll add my Migle Miglias, which been repainted non-stock silver and I think look great on French Blue GTV. I'll get better pictures soon

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
planetmojo2, I think those Teledials look great on GTV6. They should match nose of the car with round headlights perfectly. Please post more once all 4 wheels are on this side of the pond. :001_cool:

I'll add my Migle Miglias, which been repainted non-stock silver and I think look great on French Blue GTV. I'll get better pictures soon
Flattery on my Teledials accepted, naka :- ) I have now received all five 16" Teledials from Ireland. Had the first rim machined at the back side of the center hole to make sure everything would work out in fitting to a GTV6. Wanted to be sure the stud pattern, and the rest were compatible before requesting delivery on the other 4 (1 extra for a spare in the trunk). No problems there! Will order a single tire to double check offset and extra 1/2" of width inside the wheel arches, at some point.

No rush on getting all those rims on the GTV6. It will be a long-term project to get me my 'ultimate for me' GTV6. Body needs a fresh paint job. I've purchased a used 24v 4 cam 3.0 164LS/Q engine (in kit form) that I will be cramming in there. May require me hitting PowerBall next time around. The body is very rust-free, but I may still obtain a new spare wheel well from the UK to make it more perfect. Plus, a few suspension upgrades I haven't ordered quite yet (SZ ball for the deDion swivel, new Konis or Bilsteins, and poly bushings all around). Already have a 25mm front sway bar from a Verde.

I've sourced modified headers from Eastern Europe for the engine conversion, but will still need a modified intake plenum from JungleJustice ($700 or so). I've collected pretty much all of the best detail bits from my bone cars to finish it off. Now it's a matter of throwing $$ at it in small shots to get further along. Hope it will be finished in time for my friends to drive to my funeral!

Mentioned to my mechanic that now that we have 16" rims to replace the stock 15's, there may be extra room in the front to consider larger brake discs. Wasn't sure what might be involved in moving the calipers out father (aftermarket brackets, etc?). His response was--- on a GTV6, the brakes are more than adequate for the 2.5 stock engine. And likely fine, even with the extra 100HP from the 24v. So, we're leaving it as braided aircraft brake hoses, at this point on the brakes.

But, I'd love to hear more input from others on upgrading at least the front brakes.

BTW--- those Mille Miglia wheels on your blue GTV are stunning!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
I'm sure there are plenty of good suggestions on this site to help you through your project. One that really worked for me was: doing at least small things or even planning it EVERY DAY and project just keeps moving on and soon you reach a small milestone and next....avoids stalling it. Written down, well organised plan from the beginning would have been a big help, now I know. Still making mistakes, learning and doing it right in the end, project like yours is bit too advanced for me..Good luck!
P.S. I'd mount all 4 wheels and tires, clean up the car and take some pics, make few motivational posters for the garage. and of course don't forget to post em here!
Apologies for going bit off topic

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
wow... $1000? i gave a set away to a friend. I just cant keep everything though i would have liked to...
Its a set of 5 wheels, 4 of them brand new plus you get a spare. Not a bad deal at the asking price. Seller is a great guy.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
i suppose its not a bad deal... but when i ment i gave a set away i ment literally. i gave em away for free.

i have a set of bwa sportstar 14x6. anyone interested? im asking for someone to add a year on my bb subscription (20$ ?) and make a donation to the BB website. not free but 20$ plus a donation this wonderful BB

·
Registered
530 Posts
Indianapolis rims on gt junior

So it seems to be called "INDIANAPOLIS"... Haven't seen them before getting the GT Junior, not sure if they are any good in terms of quality, and one is broken... Any feedback on quality and on where I could find "1" replacement to the "3" pieces that came with the car?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Does anyone have experience with American Racing Ansen Sprint wheels? I have a 74 GTV and I am looking for wheels. The Ansen Sprint appears, on paper, to potentially fit. 15x7 4x108 with et0?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
ET 0 will not fit unless you butcher the fenders. 15x7'' can be used with offset in the 22mm-35mm range for late high arch GTV. Those rims are likely for Ford 4x108mm = 4x4.25''common Ford size.

841 - 860 of 886 Posts