Alfa Romeo Forums banner

301 - 320 of 886 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
hammer said:
I intend to install those wheels on my 1750 GTV Euro Series II what' s your opinion? Alfisti, I need your comments, it will be much appreciated.
N.B tires size will be 205/45/16 same as Goldcoverleaf 2000 GTV's :rolleyes:
You should do a photoshop mock up and then we can tell you what we think they look like on....without it I persoanlly think they may not match the period looks of the car

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
hammer said:
I intend to install those wheels on my 1750 GTV Euro Series II what' s your opinion? Alfisti, I need your comments, it will be much appreciated.
N.B tires size will be 205/45/16 same as Goldcoverleaf 2000 GTV's :rolleyes:
I don't like the look of anything bigger than 14" on the 105 and 115 cars.

·
Registered
127 Posts
wow, two of em! and they are tracked? wouldn't that be a thrill.

hammer, go for it. anything later than a giulietta is a modern car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Painted Turbinas

As I continue to be inspired and advised by John Stewart (Roadtrip), here are a couple of pics of what *will* be on my car, when I finish this process over the next couple of months (weather and time permitting). The first is my spare - this is probably the best of the 5 (center cap is decent, all the others are shot....check out those awesome lug nuts...mmmm). The second pic is another wheel after 4 coats of dupli color silver and 3 coats clear.

The process is a ton of work (99% prep/wheel cleaning) but I'm very pleased so far. I pulled the weights before painting, so I'm planning/hoping to get them rebalanced somewhere that will put weights on the inside of the wheel rather than the outside.

·
Registered
717 Posts
haus - ... I pulled the weights before painting, so I'm planning/hoping to get them rebalanced somewhere that will put weights on the inside of the wheel rather than the outside.

All the tire places I've used will put the weights on the inside if requested ahead of time. The exception might be if the wheel is severely out of balance from the inside to the outside and they should tell you that if their balancing machine shows a problem.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The GTA has a set of 6x14 Campagnolo (Technomagnesio) period wheels; these are repro wheels actually made by Campy using the original dies/moulds. They made a modern improvement in that these "new" wheels have a steel insert around the lug holes, whereas the originals did not. Tires: Yokohama 195/60x14 A032H

The GTV6 uses the original wheels with street Michelin Pilots. On the track its a 7x15 O.Z. Five-star: Tires: Kumho Ecsta V700 225/50x15, shaved.

David

·
Registered
398 Posts
I gotta say, the painted turbinas look awesome, esp. with new center caps and lug nuts, but after cleaning 4 of them to prep for paint (just one more to go!) I wouldn't mind never seeing a turbina wheel again. Those 5-stars are starting to look a lot more compelling.

John, or anyone else who has painted + clearcoated their wheels, do you do anything special to clean them over time? Brake dust being a terrible problem for me, I'm pretty sure the standard spray-on, hose-off wheel cleaners would eat the paint for lunch, though I might spray a random piece of metal and try it later on.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My neighbor has these wheels... does anyone know where I could find them? I know they are 15 x 7 ronals... but ronal is no help on em either...

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Ian, those are Ronal R-1s. They are very nice wheels and are 'period-correct' on Alfettas (4x98mm) and early GTV6s (5x98mm). They came in 14"x6", 14"x7" and 15"x7" (as far as I know). They are no longer being produced and are highly sought after.

·
Registered
201 Posts
haus said:
As I continue to be inspired and advised by John Stewart (Roadtrip), here are a couple of pics of what *will* be on my car, when I finish this process over the next couple of months (weather and time permitting). The first is my spare - this is probably the best of the 5 (center cap is decent, all the others are shot....check out those awesome lug nuts...mmmm). The second pic is another wheel after 4 coats of dupli color silver and 3 coats clear.
haus said:
haus,

Nice! I just noticed, and very much prefer, the full filleting of the Cromodora-made Turbinas, especially where the Cromodora spokes "blend" into the rims. Campy's have much more angular intersections. Mine are Campagnolo.

I wonder what's up with the "Rubber Soul" styling of the flutes between the bolt holes on the Cromodoras? Both companies should have left the area blank, but I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short to say so!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Msiert:

Excellent choice of wheel. Borbets are very well made and at $99 each, an excellent choice. It also looks like you made an interesting choice of prepped tire. What make and size are they ?

David
Campys with Yokos
OZs with Kumhos
OEMs with Michelins

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
david rivkin said:
Msiert:

Excellent choice of wheel. Borbets are very well made and at $99 each, an excellent choice. It also looks like you made an interesting choice of prepped tire. What make and size are they ?

David
Campys with Yokos
OZs with Kumhos
OEMs with Michelins
I was wondering about the size and offset of the wheels.

Thanks...

·
Registered
398 Posts
fredwidmer said:
haus,

Nice! I just noticed, and very much prefer, the full filleting of the Cromodora-made Turbinas, especially where the Cromodora spokes "blend" into the rims. Campy's have much more angular intersections. Mine are Campagnolo.

I wonder what's up with the "Rubber Soul" styling of the flutes between the bolt holes on the Cromodoras? Both companies should have left the area blank, but I guess I'm a day late and a dollar short to say so!
Thanks Fred! I'm finishing the last clear coat on my final wheel today. I have to agree with you, I like the Cromodora wheels somewhat more than the other ones for the same reason. The flutes don't bother me too much, though they do look a bit off-style compared to the rest of the wheel. They're more just a super-annoying area to clean. My chief concern going forward is how to clean these without stripping the clear coat and paint. Hopefully it's a hardy finish. I'll post a pic when I'm done.

By the way, I learned a hard lesson. Pull your center caps before you have your wheels balanced. They put my wheel in that machine, pulled it out, and there were nice scratches and a small dent on my brand new center cap. %^&*#

·
Registered
398 Posts
F - I - N - I - S - H - E - D

What a transformation! Thanks to all who inspired me here on the board. :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The finished wheel looks great!! Did you get the nuts rechromed, or did you get new ones ($$$$)?

haus said:
The second pic is another wheel after 4 coats of dupli color silver and 3 coats clear.
How many cans of each (silver and clear) did you use for all four wheels?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks Tiger! I got new lugs from Pep Boys. I'm not that wild about them - they stick out *way* too far compared to my stock lugs (Roadtrip said exactly the same thing), but they are far better than the originals. Just for kicks, I'll try soaking the originals in some simple green and going at them with a 00 steel wool someday. However, I suspect I'll decide I like the chrome better no matter how much rust I get off those old lugs; I just wish they were a little less obvious.

Oh, the new ones were $8 a 4-pack, so $32 total. IAP is asking $6 apiece. Center caps from Centerline; they didn't have the snap rings, so I'm living with my mildly-rusted ones for now. I had to dremel down the sides of the new center caps to fit the painted holes so the paint around the front edge wouldn't chip out. Ask me how I know.

For all 5 wheels (did the spare too) I used 2 cans of WP101 silver and 2 1/2 cans WP103 clear. 10 minutes between sprayings, 4 light coats silver, 4 light to medium coats clear; the last clear coat heavy, but avoiding runs and drips of course. Prep took about 2-3 hours per wheel - simple green, barkeeper's friend, mineral spirits, and tire cleaning chemicals (the spray-on ones, only I'd use a red scruff pad to get 15 years of brake dust off). Dry overnight, tape and paint the next day. Tools included blue sponges with a rough side, nylon brush for the words along the rim, and red scruff pad (3M "metal") to clean each hole. Cleaned inside and out, since it's actually easier to get to some of the holes from behind. I only painted the outside, and was careful not to remove finish on the inside.

I gave up having a tire place re-balance these; after the first one, they messed up one of my center caps and scratched my paint, so I just started saving the weights (marking the locations) and re-hammering them in after the paint was dry. I know that'll be a pain someday when I need new tires, but that won't be for awhile.

One thing that strikes me after looking at Roadtrip's pics and mine - the flash on the camera picks up a lot more "flecks" than you really see when you look at these wheels with your eye. They look better in person as a result.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alex Csank said:
Ian, those are Ronal R-1s. They are very nice wheels and are 'period-correct' on Alfettas (4x98mm) and early GTV6s (5x98mm). They came in 14"x6", 14"x7" and 15"x7" (as far as I know). They are no longer being produced and are highly sought after.
Thank you for the information... :)

301 - 320 of 886 Posts