Alfa Romeo Forums banner

201 - 220 of 886 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #201 (Edited)
jpv said:
I agree with Bill... They are out of place... Can't you use some panasport? or something more period looking?
If you look at the picture a little closer, you can see I just put them beside the car. I was loading the wheels onto my truck yesterday and just wanted to see what they'd look like on the GTA.

If they car was gonna be in on of those stupid Fast and Furious movies (not like we'd let that happen), I'd leave them but because its not, these GTA wheels are right at home.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
italcarguy said:
17x7.5 Stil Auto's on the GTA?
When I see those wheels I gotta think WING on the back and a big spoiler on the front.
Maybe a megaphone exhause tip, tach on the A piller . . . . .

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
It looked like it had a pick up truck 'dually' rear axle fitted there for a minute ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Very nice wheels Paradiso! Did you drop the suspension on your Spider as well ? I am hunting for 15 or 16 inch wheels and am leaning to either 5 spoke or mesh design but not sure about manufacturers or proper offset... any suggestions?

·
Registered
325 Posts
The 1957 Spider is too valuable and rare for any obvious mods, so it looks stock and nearly is. The mods to the Milano are all for autocross.

The car has been raised a bit in back and the wheel flares trimmed a bit since the pic.

This weekend I'm putting my 7 X 15 Team Dynamic wheels on Ebay. They are the correct dimension for a Milano or GTV-6 with 205s or 225s.

The important measurement is not offset. Offset is difference between the wheel's mounting surface and the middle of the rim. So with different width rims you'd need different offset. It is backspacing. This is measured from the edge of the inside rim lip to the wheel's mounting surface. On a Milano the correct backspacing is 4.25 inches, or 108 mm.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Bill-Sims said:
The important measurement is not offset. Offset is difference between the wheel's mounting surface and the middle of the rim. So with different width rims you'd need different offset. It is backspacing. This is measured from the edge of the inside rim lip to the wheel's mounting surface. On a Milano the correct backspacing is 4.25 inches, or 108 mm.
Bill,

Backspacing is the important measurement if you are simply after inner guard-to-tyre clearance, but offset is important to retain the scrub radius. Unless of course you deliberately set out to change the scrub radius.

If you keep the backspacing original but go with really wide tyres you will certainly feel it through the tiller and also increase loading on the spindle/axle.

So, I believe that with wider rims you should strive to retain the original offset :confused: Unless I missed the point somewhere along the line (highly likely :)

If you change the rolling diameter of the wheel/tyre combination, it is possible to play with the offset to bring the scrub radius back or even improve it somewhat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Another rookie question- Will a Spider look like the suspension has been dropped because of the introduction of larger rims ?

Stu T.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Beatle,

I agree with you in theory but not application. First, we need a constant point-of-reference. Backspacing provides that. Offset is different for every different rim width. Secondly, if one is adding rim/tire width, the only available room is outboard, not inboard. At least that is how it is on a Milano/75. The GTV6 I had was on OEM wheels, so can't speak from experience with it. Would think it was the same, though.
I had my current wheels custom built, so had to get the measurements right or I'd be eating the cost and have nothing. Custom wheel builders don't like to talk offset with customers. They talk backspacing, rim width, rim diameter, bolt pattern, and center
cutout diameter.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Stu T said:
Very nice wheels Paradiso! Did you drop the suspension on your Spider as well ? I am hunting for 15 or 16 inch wheels and am leaning to either 5 spoke or mesh design but not sure about manufacturers or proper offset... any suggestions?
Suspension is dropped with IAP red springs.
It really depends on what year spider you have.
I think the Enkeis work real well with the series 4 spiders but may be too modern looking for earlier spiders.
I scored a set of BWA Sportstars for my 71, perfect period look as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not a fan of mesh designs from a looks point of view and they must be a mega PIA to keep clean.
IMHO Cromodora Daytonas look awesome all the time.

John

·
Supporting Vendor
4,406 Posts
Bill-Sims said:
First, we need a constant point-of-reference. Backspacing provides that. Offset is different for every different rim width. Secondly, if one is adding rim/tire width, the only available room is outboard, not inboard. At least that is how it is on a Milano/75.
Bill,

As Beatly said, simply increasing width to the outside of the vehicle will have a detrimental effect on the suspension geometry for a road car.

In your application, I would guess you are going for max grip and subtleties of feel, turning effort, etc. are not as important.

For example, on a Milano (75) with 15 x 7 wheels, if the offset is kept in the ET30-ET37 range, the car handles largely as stock, with a bit more grip. If you use the same 15 x 7 wheels with and offset of ET25 or lower, the car has slightly more grip, but is hard to turn at low speeds, follows ruts in the road, and generally doesn't feel the way it should.

Backspacing, of course, really measure the same thing as offset, but is a largely American usage. Offset, while a little more difficult to understand, has the distinct advantage of being stamped on most wheels available for Alfas, making it easier to compare.

Joe

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know Joe and Beatle understand offset, but I've seen people get in trouble by checking the offset on their 6 inch rims, then ordering wider wheels with the same offset and they won't clear on the inside.

By the way, I had a serious typo in my previous post: maximum backspace is 5.25 inches, not 4.25 inches!

Note that by keeping the wheel at maximum backspace, we are keeping the wheels inboard as much as possible for a given rim width. We are not simply increasing width to the outside. We are going inside as far as possible, and then the rim width dictates how far out we go. And of course that is further limited by how much sheet metal one wants to remove.

It's been a number of years since I've had OEM wheels on the Milano/75, but do know the Team Dynamics 7 X 15 wheels with 35 mm offset have 5.25 inches of backspacing. My 225/45 and 225/50 autocross tires used to have just about 1 cm of clearance on the inside wheel well liner. Have since removed the liners, but wouldn't recommend that for a road car. That's why 5.25 was the maximum backspacing on my 9 and 11 inch wide rims.

Joe, you are right--I don't worry about scrub angle at all in my application. The car has power steering--the big autocross tires would be a bear to turn in the paddock without it! IMO, scrub angle isn't too critical for handling on RWD cars, even daily drivers. Matters alot more on FWD cars with lots of hp and torque steer.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Alex,

Your Junior is looking great! I remember when it was a faithful daily driver with faded paint. And had the 1300 engine. Do you still drive it daily?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Paradiso said:
71 Twinspark with Sportstars (Thanks Sprintn!)
Ma che? Non e' brutto!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Alex Csank said:
John,

Those look great!!!
You are obviously a person of great taste and discernment!

This John M guy keeps telling me I have to chrome them.

I don't know, wadda you think?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hi Bill,

No, I now drive my Verde more often. My Spider got a rocker repair, an interior re-do and a paint job in 2001. I put on a new top last year, and I dropped a 2L in this March. I just finished putting in some new seats with headrests the week before last. Mechanically, I still have to modify my suspension a bit more with poly bushings and new springs and shocks, and maybe a chassis stiffener. I'm trying to install a better radio without having to cut the dash, and I'm now faced with getting new tires and probably another paint job this year or next. But overall, she runs like stink and she looks a lot better too!

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Paradiso, if you polish to chrome-luster those bloddy wheels, I will personally drive over to your house and using an abrasive pad...will rough them up in the middle of the night!!!

201 - 220 of 886 Posts