Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you go for stock and suffer manually looking for that station or an ugly mp3 player? is there any particular brand that's classic friendly? i find the modern players so ugly.. maybe there is something interesting out there i don't know about.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I have a Blaupunkt Laguna with a hidden ipod dock in my 1750. It is all connected to 6X9s in the back shelf. Its a massive waste of time because all I listen to in the car is the radio. I think the ipod is far too dangerous to use in the car unless you have a head unit with control for the device.

The Blaupunkt isn't ugly, but it doesn't look right in the car either. I will be fitting a period Becker in the dash when I have time (2020?) But if you've serious $$ you could get the new Becker Mexico which is a full digital unit, compatible with everything and looks period-authentic on the outside. Its v.nice, but pricey.

There are quite a few threads on this subject already I think.

·
Registered
913 Posts
MagnaFlow...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
very hard with the older cars - unless you hide it in the glovebox and fit a classic looking one in the dash (or even just non-functioning fasia or blanking piece)

mines an eighties model, so not so tough. has a Kenwood CD player from early ninties that rarely gets used. Probably should bin it to improve power to weight and front to rear distrib'n...

·
Registered
what part?
9,894 Posts
.. i run a jvc cd head unit..kd-g320.. and 2 crossovers for the front speakes( tweeter are in the non-fuctional ac vents(84 spider)the ones closes to the doors, speakers in the lower kick panels..on the rear. a amp. of nice size.. 2 more crossovers, and smae speakes in the rear. with a cd. changer.. the speakes i got from frys. and they are the aussie units.. very nice..not loaud (sp? ) but very good sound quatily:)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
MagnaFlow...

Great choice! :D

I have a real cheap CD player in the Spider, it does have an aux jack for my mp3 player. Too bad I can't hear anything above the exhaust noise!!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm running a bellmouth intake tract into a high flow micronic filter, through a Bosch AFM, convoluted crossover duct, past a variable volume throttle plate, into four nicely sized reverb chambers, and all exiting via a set of Alfa cast-iron headers and on to atmospheric via an Al Cosentino tuned pipe.:D

And I like it that way, anywhere above 3500 rpm.

Speakers? I don need no stinkin' speakers...

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have Blaupunkt Syracuse units in both the 164's and they improve the look on these cars. They are very basic with MP3 hookups, I feel an MP3 player is safer than CDs since I can just hit play and let it rip through several hundred songs. I also have a cheap Rampage (Audiovox) CD player that will go into the GTV6. I think the center consule on this car looks pretty goofy so a modern deck helps it a bit. Now on GTV's and Berlina's and such, a modern deck would really break the look up, and not in a good way in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I find that units that were produced until around the late '90 still looked ok in the earlier Alfas. After that, with a few exceptions, they look out of place. Apparently, there is now a market for people who are interested in taking an older unit and having it updated with modern internals. Hence, the exterior appearance remains the same, but the features and sound quality are up to modern specs. The prices don't seem unreasonable either. I would encourage you to perform an internet search, to see if you may have one such outfit close to you.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
ANSA....actualy the stock pos is still in the gtv6..i think its been on all of 20 mins in 3 years

IMO i like the "hidden" classic car setups ....basicaly you put the whole unit in the trunk and its all ran on remote or a small wired face that can be hidden in a console, glove box or a slide out tray under a seat or dash....these units are capable of just about everything..not sure if there setup for I-pod yet tho
secretaudio hidden car stereo

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you got me drooling over the 'Becker Mexico' unitl i found out it costs $3000, if I can find one. for that money it better come with a live mariachi band in the back seat.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Europa II AM-FM Stereo

With as lovely a sound as my little 1400 makes, the Becker Europa II AM-FM Stereo with 2.5W per channel to Infiniti Kappa coax and plate speakers is not an audiophillic experience... but it is very classic. More than enought for my sensibilities and requirements.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've been looking for something for my '87 Spider... I've never had a Spider with an up-to-date radio in it. My two prior cars (and this one) have all had '80s cassette players. This one's a Blaupunkt, nothing special at all. Two big knobs and a little digital display.

I'd like something very conservative with a volume knob, not buttons. So far haven't found anything. Needs to play CDs and if it can be wired to control an iPod or SD card, even better.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,037 Posts
None

Stock blanking plate. :D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I've used this company on a few of my vintage Chevy's but they don't make anyhting for Euro cars as far as I know. I had a stock looking CD changer for my Impala.
VINTAGEVIBES Product 1

·
Registered
439 Posts
Blaupunkt Frankfurt

I would source a Blaupunkt Frankfurt AM-FM Stereo from Ranier at Konigs Klassics radios in Germany, with a US spec AM-FM section, and install good speakers. The Infinity Kappas are quite nice, and reasonbly priced. Ranier also has connectors to integrate MP3 players.

The Blaupunkt has FR balance and LR balance, as well as the amplifier section, in a single unit that will fit in the dash.

It's a very nice radio, and about 50% to 60% of the cost of a Becker... and I think the Blaupunkt sounds better, too.

If I were doing it again, I would install the Blaupunkt.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
In my sedan - none - just the stock blanking plate. In my coupe, I have a Sony CDX-C7850 installed, with amp in trunk and 4 speakers. I've had it about 7 years now and it's still great. The best thing about it is the remote knob that I've mounted between the seats in front of the handbrake. It controls everything with out having to look down (or leaning very far forward). With my height, my seatback is tilted back pretty far and it's a huge stretch to reach the unit itself, so, to have a control (with a turning knob no less!!) right at your side is great.
Everyone always comments on how cool it is, and many have asked if it's stock (!):rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yes I remember those Sony control knobs. Do they still make them for their current line?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I bought one of those new about two years ago, then finished up not needing it for some reason and sold it on ebay. They were cool though, very easy to use and not ugly in the interior of an old car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts