Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to change the spark plugs. Wondering wich ones are good there are too many to choose from :):confused:

thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
I bought some autolite and I could hardly get my car to start. so that was a waste of 10 bucks. I ran out and got some Bosch Platinums, the ones with two electrodes, not the super 4's. The super 4's might be better, I dont know but they cost alot more. So i stuck with the platinums and my car is running great. Sorry i don't know the exact number. The auto store had the number

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm a faithful devotee of the Holy Church of the Golden Lodge.....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Golden Lodge Spark plugs

Only use Golden Lodge 2Hl spark plugs,the single electrode spark plugs(Bosch,Autolite,NGK,etc.) can do damage to the piston crowns at high revs,because the spark is too centralised in one spot,rather than spread in an even area such as the Golden Lodge do. They cost more.but it will cost even more to replace the pistons if they have blow holes in them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I read that the V6s were less sensitive in this regard. Was I misinformed?
BTW "registered user makes me sound like a heroin addict, this is not the case"

·
1991 164L
27,872 Posts
Champions work fine and are even listed in Alfa 164 12v V6 shop manual and owner's manual as alternate to Lodge. My 91L came from factory with Champions. I run 415's usually and getting ready to pull out a set of Autolites and go back to Champions to see if idle issue goes away.

Do you have 2.5 or 3.0L engine in Milano?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2.5 gtv6! i read that the bosch platinum 2s get gunked up.. is this true? they look like quality plugs

·
Registered
218 Posts
NGK BP6ES

I have had Bosch Platinums lose the center electrodes, meaning fall out of plug and ground against side strap. No fun. These were not the +2 or +4, but the older W8DP series.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Champion Iridium on the 2.5 and when the 3.0 is done I'll put them in as well

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
i've always loved bosch platinums and when switching have always noticed an increase in throttle response but i have heard on rennlist that the electrodes can break and cause the loss of a turbo in my 944 turbo so i switched them out. however, in a non turbo, his wouldn't be anywhere near as bad so i use them in my non turbo cars.

i wanted to try the lodge in the alfas but thought they weren't available as IAP doesn't stock them anymore. where do you guys get them now and how much are they?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Golden Lodge Spark Plugs

Hi superloaf, You ask for the availabillty of Golden Lodge spark plugs,surely in LA or anywhere else in the United States,there should be an Alfa spare parts dealer for older Alfas that sell these plugs. Such as Centerline spares or International spare parts. failing that try EB spares in England ,they will have them for sure. Warning,they are expensive,and also these plugs like the engine to be given full steam occasionally,otherwise they dont last as long if you drive your Alfa like grandma on her way to church.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Hi superloaf, You ask for the availabillty of Golden Lodge spark plugs,surely in LA or anywhere else in the United States,there should be an Alfa spare parts dealer for older Alfas that sell these plugs. Such as Centerline spares or International spare parts. failing that try EB spares in England ,they will have them for sure. Warning,they are expensive,and also these plugs like the engine to be given full steam occasionally,otherwise they dont last as long if you drive your Alfa like grandma on her way to church.
are they good for other cars too? how about turbo applications? i've never heard of them except in the alfa world. i have a friend in italy and an alfa racer so i'll ask him about them to gain some knowledge. more to come ....

·
Registered
277 Posts
Golden Lodge

Hi superloaf,I went to the EB spares website,and the Golden Lodge 2HL spark plugs are 8:50 GBP each,so that means for six you will need 51 GBP. Ouch!plus postage ??.maybe you should try the NGK or try and buy them in The US

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Golden Lodge 2HL is two heat ranges colder than the Silver Lodge 2 HL-E,that was the original spark plug for the GTV-6!
Bosch recommends their W7DC,or the W78 Super-4.
I go for the Bosch Super-4!
NGK B6ES for the road and NGK B7ES for the track.
You can use the BP=extended tip without problems as well. Gap to .030.(Without blowing holes in the top of the pistons)
John.

Reactions: ToonRboy

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Reviving a dead thread - has anyone else notice that it's getting harder to get spark plugs? My neighborhood parts store had nothing in stock. I ended up going to an Autozone about 15 miles away to get four Champion copper plugs, then wait three days for them to have the other two shipped from another store in a differnt city.

That seems... odd.

So I went with copper plugs because in my experience they perform better than platinum or iridium. Given I don't drive that much the thought of replacing them in 20,000 miles isn't that onerous.
Because it's like 5 or 6 years with my car.

For a brief moment I was going to buy a set of Golden Lodge plugs, but they were coming from the UK and would coast around $100, shipped. These Champions were $15 with tax. But can plain ol' copper plugs really destroy my engine? I've never heard of spark plugs burning holes in pistons before. Arre they too hot? What's the deal with that?

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
We went with the NGK platinum plugs, and they fired up and ran beautifully, from idle to redline. Good compromise between the Lodge and el cheapo plugs, in my opinion. Got them from Rock Auto for about $4 each.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts