Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has been asked before..couldnt find it...and other than finding a 3.0L , what engines? I'm talking about the 81-86 GTV6 of course...can any models from the 90s be fitted in? Where would one go about finding possible engines...I found a bunch in ebay but from the UK (makes sense), im from california

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Also any of the 4 cyl Nord motors. A turbocharged TS would be great.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Not with no issues, there are some changes from a fwd V6 to get it to fit in a GTV6, check out the thread in the Milano section for Roxanne. Jes does a really good job going into the detail of what it takes to get a 12v 3.0 V6 into a rwd chasis. I think there maybe a few additional issues with the 24v motor, but it will at least give you a good idea about what it takes.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked before..couldnt find it...and other than finding a 3.0L , what engines? I'm talking about the 81-86 GTV6 of course...can any models from the 90s be fitted in? Where would one go about finding possible engines...I found a bunch in ebay but from the UK (makes sense), im from california
How much $$$ do you have to spend? I once saw a Maserati V8 in a GTV6..

The simplest engine is the 3.0 from the Verde, it's pretty much a bolt in.

Any of the 2.0 variants will fit, that motor came in the Alfetta. But now you're looking at parts - headers, fuel system, ECU, etc.

The 2.0 TS from the later cars would be a nice swap, imo, you're still looking at parts, but that motor came in the Milano (75) in Europe, so it should be readily available. Depending on what you do, you'll end up with similar HP to your 2.5, with around 100 fewer lbs over the front wheels. If you've ever driven an Alfetta, there's an appreciable difference.

Any of the 3.0 variants from the 164 can be made to fit, but there are issues there as well, sump, intake, etc etc. If you opt for the 24v, you need to fabricate headers as well.

Personally, I think the 3.0 from the Verde is a great update to a GTV6, if you're looking for more than that, it's going to start costing you $$$. For any 163 3.0 variant (with the exception of the 24v), I'd think it would be just as easy to build a Verde motor to 164 specs, as opposed to making the 164 motor fit. A lot of the effort in making the 164 motor fit involves finding Verde parts anyhow..

HTH,

bs

·
Registered
118 Posts
Agreed bshorey.
I have just completed putting in a 3 litre from an Alfa 75(Milano), into my Racing GTV6.
As you would already know the engine was a 90 Degree engine and there for was very straight forward beside a few small things.
Because the Alfa 164 onwards are 60 Degrees and front wheel drive, there are too many mods to be a straight swap. You need to spend big $$$.
The engine from a 75(Milano) would be your best bet.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Are you sure the 164 V6 engine and the GTV6/Sei/90/75 engine have a different vee angle :confused::confused::confused::confused:

First I've heard of that...............

·
Registered
324 Posts
Wot? the alfa v6's are 60 degree not 90!. and you dont need to spend big bucks on the 164 conversion at all. there are just more issues with flywheel spacing, front pulleys, intake set up and Motronic set up. All of which can be done on a budget. Infact you will get a 164 v6 much cheaper than a 75 v6 in europe.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Personally, I think the 3.0 from the Verde is a great update to a GTV6, if you're looking for more than that, it's going to start costing you $$$. For any 163 3.0 variant (with the exception of the 24v), I'd think it would be just as easy to build a Verde motor to 164 specs, as opposed to making the 164 motor fit. A lot of the effort in making the 164 motor fit involves finding Verde parts anyhow..
But with the Verde engine you are stock with L-Jet (which you can argue is suboptimal for the S-spec engine). If you get a 164S engine including the ECU (Motronic), harness, etc. you are better off, IMO. I put a 164S engine into my Milano race car on a budget - Motronic, 164 harness, everything - it runs great. You do not need Verde parts to put a 164 engine into a Milano/GTV6. A (cheap) late-style 2.5 Milano engine will do as donor for parts - plenty of those around. I did not use a single 3.0 part putting the S-engine into my Milano race car (originally this was a 2.5).

Depending on where in the world you are, you may be lucky to find a donor 75 3.0 Motronic. I believe these were the last model years of the 75 3.0 V6 QV (1991-1992). In Australia I think these go under the name 75 Potenziata. I don't recall if these were basically S-spec engines, but I suspect so, or at least close.

Jes

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
But with the Verde engine you are stock with L-Jet (which you can argue is suboptimal for the S-spec engine). If you get a 164S engine including the ECU (Motronic), harness, etc. you are better off, IMO. I put a 164S engine into my Milano race car on a budget - Motronic, 164 harness, everything - it runs great. You do not need Verde parts to put a 164 engine into a Milano/GTV6. A (cheap) late-style 2.5 Milano engine will do as donor for parts - plenty of those around. I did not use a single 3.0 part putting the S-engine into my Milano race car (originally this was a 2.5).
Hi Jes,

No argument wrt which one was better, I was simply trying to point out that the Verde 3.0 is essentially a bolt in, and that you need to add $$$ and time for other (better) alternatives.

You're also right about using 2.5 parts as opposed to 3.0 parts to make the 164 motor fit. Good point.

bs

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Hi Jes,

No argument wrt which one was better, I was simply trying to point out that the Verde 3.0 is essentially a bolt in, and that you need to add $$$ and time for other (better) alternatives.

You're also right about using 2.5 parts as opposed to 3.0 parts to make the 164 motor fit. Good point.

bs
I totally agree that the Verde 3.0 is the most straightforward. Your "$$$" also reminded me that doing a 164 on a budget is only possible if you do the work yourself. You do need to change quite a few things, which are "free" if you have time etc for a winter project, but can cost you a smaller fortune, I imagine, if you have to pay a shop by the hour.
Jes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what are the numbers for the verde 3.0 vs the 164 ? and isnt there more than one type of 164 3.0 engine

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
It depends on where in the world you are, but 164 3.0 in North America:
164B, L: 12 valve, about 182 HP
164S: 12 valve, about 200 HP
164LS: 24 valve, about 210 HP
164Q: 24 valve, about 236 HP
All approximate off the top of my head. Verde 3.0 is 182.
Jes

·
Registered
625 Posts
How much power do you really want, and how much do you want to spend. Also, how much of the work are you planning/are you capable of doing yourself?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Boys
There is a very hot Alfetta GT with a very hot 24 valve 3.0 in Oregon. He keeps tearing the front drive donut off the flywheel at track days. So there is a down side to big horse power, it can cost you money. I installed a Milano 3.0 in my GTV6 with power steering. It really makes a nice driver. Also Koni's, sloted rotors front & rear, Plat gearbox, 7x15 wheels, now if I could just get it painted.
PW

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Is this car for street/daily use or track? Since you're in California this is something you need to consider. An engine swap can get tricky for a street car to pass inspection if you're not careful. Some things like stand alone engine mgt systems and 24V V6 coil packs can be a dead givaway during an emmisions inspection. There are those who have done it and believe me I've looked at it a bunch lately but for me (California also) I would go with a 3.0 with S cams, or S engine with GTV6 plenum, Milano power steering and Jet Tronic or Motronic with harness for the 164 engine. Sure there are many ways to get more hp but I just want a daily driver with around 200 hp that will pass California smog and visual with ZERO hassle.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hi Boys
There is a very hot Alfetta GT with a very hot 24 valve 3.0 in Oregon. He keeps tearing the front drive donut off the flywheel at track days. So there is a down side to big horse power, it can cost you money. I installed a Milano 3.0 in my GTV6 with power steering. It really makes a nice driver. Also Koni's, sloted rotors front & rear, Plat gearbox, 7x15 wheels, now if I could just get it painted.
PW
Power Steering? That's just dumb :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts