Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from a discussion on another thread where I am taunted about paying too much for a pair of early cursive script RHD Carellos, I thought it would be interesting to hear from others about which parts, literature etc. that you may have paid top dollar for because you really, really wanted it!

It might be a fun topic to read in a few years time when the prices have doubled as well!

So first up were my pair of RHD Carello 08.480.800 headlights for $481.60US :whistling:

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
I fail to understand the obvious oxymoron of "overpaying for an item that you really, really need".

There is no granite-tablet price on parts for antique cars. We pay what we will for what we want. The measure, for me anyway, is "does this get the project finished to a high standard in the least amount of time so I can begin enjoying the results". By that standard, the very last part bolted to the car may well be the most valuable. To me.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I fail to understand the obvious oxymoron of "overpaying for an item that you really, really need".
Firstly I said want and not need. I see no oxymoron about overpaying for something that may or may not have been 'needed'. Secondly, it was not meant to become a discussion on the justifications and rationale of the value of a part.

It was meant to be a light hearted thread on items that made you feel a bit dizzy when you hit the buy-it-now price or when you won the auction. Of course you state the obvious when you say you pay what you are willing to pay to get that rare part.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I'd like to delve into this thread but I think I'd definitely be shamed into my next lifetime if I showed my hand at what I paid for NOS parts.

All I can say is that the pocket pain dissipates and life is too short.

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Some 4 years ago I saw a watch on eBay that I had to have. It was one of a few made in the shape of a 1911 or thereabouts radiator. The stem represented the radiator cap.

It looked like good quality and it was $51 bid and I thought I would blow any buyers out of the water. So just inside of a minute before the auction ended I put in a "lucky number" bid. $999.99

Bought it for $71 and then did some research on it and one had traded a couple of years earlier for $2500.:detective: I became excited and then became very concerned that the seller would not deliver.:crying:

About 8 days later it "finally" arrived, but by then I discovered that there were a few made for an anniversary of Alfas being sold in Switzerland. Had a special inscription on the back.

Not mine, but, hey it is a very nice piece.

:cool2::cool2:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I know what you mean, Derek. For me it was treating myself to a set of HRE wheels back in '96. I had the original wheels but always wanted a set of period basket weave BBS's. Well, I never found them in 4x108 so I really went overboard money wise, at least for me. Custom built 3 piece wheels in 7 1/2"x16". They might not be everyones cup of tea but I like them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Peter, that Montreal is beautiful and the wheels were well worth all the money spent. A set of 'wheels' got me going too. I wanted a set of period Borrani wire wheels for a '59 Tourning Roadster really, really bad! It almost became an obsession for me.

Long story short, I ended up buying all the components for two complete cars. Thats 10 wire wheels, 8 knock off nuts, 8 splined hubs and 4 complete sets of bearings and seals. For me that was also a bunch of cabbage.

Fortunately I was able to 'cherry pick' the components and keep what I wanted to use (alloy rims, good splined hubs and Alfa Romeo script knock off nuts). The rest of the items were resold but not as a set; instead as individual component pieces -to recover part of a significant investment.:chris:

Now 'regular' alloy wheels seem very reasonable by comparison.

Mark

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
HI Mark, thanks for the compliments. I remember when you debuted your 2000, absolutely stunning car, and the wires really sets the car off. Money well spent.

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Firstly I said want and not need. I see no oxymoron about overpaying for something that may or may not have been 'needed'. Secondly, it was not meant to become a discussion on the justifications and rationale of the value of a part.

It was meant to be a light hearted thread on items that made you feel a bit dizzy when you hit the buy-it-now price or when you won the auction. Of course you state the obvious when you say you pay what you are willing to pay to get that rare part.
That's odd, I thought I read "had to have" in the thread title, which seemed to expand "want" to need.

Nevertheless, I still see 100% of the Alfa experience as discretionary, and the question of "over spent" pretty much starts with dollar one. Kinda like dating a much younger and very beautiful woman, the extravagance does not start with the fur coat you buy her, but with the quarter you spend to call her for the first date.

Having said that.....

I've spent about $3k to organize a freshly overhauled set of 45's, intake manifold, and hot cams for my 102. Why turn a Touring car into a hot rod?

I dunno. Cuz it was there?

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Don

Go for it!

When I think about it, my posts about the watch indicate that I underpaid for it.

Should not be in this thread, but then I was willing to "overpay".

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Yeah. The stock 2300 was advertised as having 149 HP. I reckon broadening the torque curve and moving it up about 500 - 700 RPM should be good for another 5 - 10 HP, right?

See how we rationalize the irrational? Man is his most pure when gloriously attempting the pointless. The predecessor to my yellow biplane was named "Rocinante".

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Oh, I'm going to hate myself for passing this one along, but....

"Why do divorces cost to much?"

Because they're definitely worth it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts