Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was fixing my sunroof drains and discovered a problem. Don't know if this is a problem on all GTV6s or just mine.

The top screw that retains the plastic/vinyl trim on the A-pillar is located in such a way that it perforates the drain tube which is running down the pillar directly behind the screw hole.

The attached photo shows the hole made by the screw in the drain tube.

This has happened on both of the front drain tubes on my GTV6 so it seems to be a design fault. The top A-pillar trim retaining screws have perforated and compressed the drain tubes, thereby causing the drains to become blocked, water to pool and the drainage outlets to rust away.

Its not hard to check if you have this problem. Try running a flexible line along your drains. If there is a blockage near the top of the A-pillar then its likely that the screw has blocked the drain.

Fixing it is fun as the tubes are installed so as to make replacement pretty much impossible. You want to be real careful when pulling on the tubes!

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just hit the hole with a dab of polyurethane and reposition out of the way.
Well I would, but...

The tubes have been deformed by 27 years of being pinched by the screws. There are bits of plastic intruding into the tube and a large constriction there. Any junk going down the drain gets caught and blocks the drain after its been patched - I tried.

And I don't know how to reposition the tube - it goes through a very tight hole at the top of the A-pillar and then down the A-pillar. There is no access to the inside of the A-pillar. At the top of the A-pillar there is no room at all and the only path the tube can take seems to be directly behind the top internal screw hole for the A-pillar trim. There really is no access.

Replacing the tubes seems to be impossible as they seem to be routed through a blind area below the A-pillar with no access - does removing the dash and drilling out the plastic plumbing for the cowl vents provide access?

Anyway, since both sides have been perforated on my GTV6 I imagine it is a common problem and others might be interested.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
If you get a heat gun out, you can soften up the line to run a new one by drawing out the old vinyl tube and replacing with some softer rubber ones. I think I had held the old/new together over a piece of threaded rod with some small zip ties. I think the hose clamps I initially tried got stuck.

To gain access to the "terminal" end of the drain tube, you need to remove the rear splash shield in the front wheel well - they just dump right into that area. This is a good time to extend the drains.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
You must have the version with the vent for the tubes. Those were an option those years. I agree with Rob, I would replace all the hoses. I am thinking of doing the same since many years of crap must be in there and would save me from another cold shower during a rain storm.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
real can of worms...maybe you can keep the hidden portion and trim off just above screw hole, clean out, then add new tubing distally with small adaptor....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You must have the version with the vent for the tubes. Those were an option those years.
Yeah thanks, included gratuito with the factory sunroof option.

I've ended up cutting much of the depressed bit out of the tube and sliding some tight fitting PVC tube over the patch, it works but isn't ideal.

Does anyone know if there is any access to the area between the base of the pillar/windshield and where the tube comes out in the fender? Its close to the cowl vent but I can't see any obvious access.

I'd like to know what I'm potentially getting myself into before I try to pull new tubes through, it all looks very tight and needs to go around a corner. If there's a problem and I need access to fix it, then I might end up with a worse problem than I started with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The factory did a "better" job of piercing the drainage tube on the right side - they got it dead centre, below is a pic. :rolleyes:.

After fixing the tube the difference in drainage is amazing, water gurgles down the drain as opposed to just dribbling.

More seriously I'd say this fault has directly resulted in one drain outlet on my sunroof rusting away, which has allowed water to get into the roof above the headliner and run down the A and C pillars - doesn't seem to go down the central pillar. Resulting in rust all over the place.

I've blown compressed air through the drains many times before and didn't even realise that there was a problem hidden out of sight.

The original alfa design of having the drainage tubes dump water and debris in the fenders is bad enough, but having the factory pierce and block both front drainage tubes is ludicrous or maybe even negligent. Using shorter screws to retain the trim would have prevented it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
This was an informative post. I've been looking, but I haven't found anything on say, how to remove (or at least peel back) the headliner without destroying it - to get to the drain tube spigots, so one can re-attach them.

Most likely they're rusted-out and the reason the hoses come off. I suppose one could tack a short section of steel tube on there.

The Alfetta/GTV6 is a beautiful design with swoopy lines. Unfortunately, there are a lot of water traps in these bad babies!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have recently cleaned the sunrof tray and replaced all the lines in mine. A bit of work I got to say. I had to redo my headliner so went for the whole thing. The tubes are fastened in place with round metal clips/fasteners whatever those are called. Tighed the new vinyl tube from home depot with black electrical tape and pulled the old tubes out pulling the new ones in. Almost all GTV6s have wholes in those tubes. The problem becomes real when the bottom of the tube gets filled with debri and it prevents the water from draining. Now you have accumulation of water that reaches the screw whole and starts dripping in the pillar thus ending up on your floor board.
You need to remove the pilar oulding, the door weather strip, the sun visor, and the OS******t handle and peel the roofliner back.
Its tougher to get the rear ones cleaned out since you cant pull enough fabric back without removing most of it. The back ones tend to have accumulated debrie from rust and corrosion from the sunroof tray. They tend to block the water exit whole and you start seeing water damage at the edge of the roofliner in the back.
The fix is 3-400 bucks to get a new headliner. Might as well remove the whole thing and get it done right the first time.
Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts