Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
It can be welded up and re-ground by someone who knows what he is doing.
It isn't necessary to replace or weld the mainshaft. The end of the shaft can be ground down and the "ball" from a spherical bearing fitted. The replacement bearing from an Alfetta driveshaft is the correct size. If the sleeve in your driveshaft is worn, a sleeve with a larger I.D. can be made that fits the outer race of the Alfetta bearing.

·
Registered
7,315 Posts
It isn't necessary to replace or weld the mainshaft. The end of the shaft can be ground down and the "ball" from a spherical bearing fitted. The replacement bearing from an Alfetta driveshaft is the correct size. If the sleeve in your driveshaft is worn, a sleeve with a larger I.D. can be made that fits the outer race of the Alfetta bearing.
just trying to work out what you mean....

do you mean the alignment bush from the alfetta prop?
like this?
https://www.ebspares.co.uk/part/C/EB8/EB81381.cfm

so the spherical 'innards' of the alignment bush (photo:alfaclubvic) replaces the damaged olive?
But how do you fit it, gearbox shaft out or in situ?

or have I got things completely wrong.....?

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Mainshaft Repair

You have the concept correct, but I can't confirm the dimensions of the replacement parts. The original Alfetta bushings are the correct size and had a split outer race that made it easy to remove. I used this method to save several close ratio racing transmissions.

-jim

olive.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
If you're replacing the olive using a spherical bearing,you do need a lathe to cut off the worn transmission output shaft olive,and turn that area down to a press fit with the spherical bearing ID. I'd check all of the above suggestions before replacing the olive.Unless yours is visually worn,I wouldn't mess with it.To be sure,it wouldn't hurt to measure the driveshaft end bushing ID(tophat),and your olive OD.I believe the tolerance is .002"-.007"max. The Aurora GE12E bearing is very inexpensive,maybe $4.00 ea.,worked for me,but is also made by other manufacturers such as SKF.I believe the center "spherical bearing is available separately too,but I don't have that part number. There's a thread that covers this somewhere in the gearbox forum.The GE12E bearing measures 12mm ID,sphere OD18mm,sphere width 10mm

Attachments

21 - 26 of 26 Posts