1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
LNG or propane conversion?? Notice the regulator and hoses shown in the lower left of the photo below. The regulator seems to hook right into the air cleaner intake.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LNG or propane conversion?? Notice the regulator and hoses shown in the lower left of the photo below. The regulator seems to hook right into the air cleaner intake.
That was my first thought....not to familiar with these setups

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
When we lived in Italy during the mid-late 80's, all cars underwent a major inspection once they had been on the road for then years; after that, it after every five years. Owners dreaded it as it was a very comprehensive examination, somewhat like an MOT in the UK, I suppose. At the ten year mark, and thereafter, engines had to meet a set pollution standard with which many gasoline-powered vehicles could not comply; not sure about classic, or vintage, automobiles.

In the late 90's, a friend of mine owned an Alfa 145, and a couple of older cars which had all been converted to run on methane. Like all things in Italy, I'm certain that the conversion was NOT an inexpensive undertaking.

He swore they were far cheaper to operate, but the tank took up a fair amount of room in the trunk as you can see in the photos. I think you could order new cars powered by methane in some cases.

Ray

·
Registered
29 Posts
Gas conversions (be it LPG, CNG) are quite common in Italy but also in Belgium, The Netherlands and other countries in Western Europe. Price is about half the price of gasoline. Cost of installation: 4 cyl @ 1650 €, 6 cyl @ 2100 and 8cy [email protected] 2300€. Mostly used in big displacement engines. But (at least in Belgium) for owners of exlusive cars as Aston Martin, Ferrari and the like it was a way of avoiding prohebitive registration and very high annual taxes. The special gastank can only contain a few liters but technically the vehicle can run on gas and get the lower taxes.
Some importers which didn't diesel cars to sell offered gasinstallations at favourable prices sometimes even free.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I drove some LNG converted cars in the late 80's that were owned by the local utility. They had a limited range and also gas a stock gasoline tank with a changeover switch for when the LNG ran low.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If the car is from Europe it will be LPG and like Eduard already wrote quite common in Europe. During the seventies in the Netherlands a lot of cars were running on LPG (liquified petrol gas).

I have a Berlina 2000 which was converted to LPG in the late nineties when it first arrived in the Netherlands. I drive it always on LPG at low cost (no road tax because of > 40 years old and a low price per litre of € 0,60) and it runs perfect. There is some loss of HP (max 8%) driving on LPG with carburettors. New LPG systems with LPi (LPG injection) for modern cars have no loss of HP’s.

Other advantage of LPG; insides of the engine stay very clean; clean oil, no sludge, no carbon deposits etc.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Yep, LPG. Over 1/2 the Giulia I looked at in Italy had LPG conversion. It is not only cost - its also the fact that in big cities like Milan, the LPG cars are exempt from pollution restrictions, and congestion charges.

(also, are those correct seats for a 71? I thought the headrests only appeared in the Nuova Super?)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am not familair with Italian regulations.........

btw ; is LPG available in the USA ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts