Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is this wire for? ANSWER: hood light

1976 Nuova Super .... because it is late in the series some things like 2000 Berlina (for example the intake manifold).

I may of knocked this wire off while working or it may have never been hooked up.

It is a yellow / black strip wire in the same harness as the wire to the oil pressure sender, starter, temp sender, and coil. It has a male spade connector on the end. It would reach about half way to the front of the engine.

I do not see it in the wire diagram that Papajam send me for the Nuova.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
The length and other wires it's bundled with would seem to eliminate it being for the right front parking lamp. So I'll go with it being for the reverse lamp switch in the bellhousing.

·
Premium Member
21,668 Posts
The reverse light takes two wires normally.

Not oil pressure light sender? On late blocks that's right near the exhaust side motor mount. Not sure if a Nuova would have one. Or oil temp sender, on the canister filter top?

Andrew

·
Registered
134 Posts
When is there power on this wire? Always, with ignition on, or when the lights are on?

But to guess, Yellow-Black are parking lights, so this could be for the engine compartment light

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe it is the under hood (bonnet) light. The light and wiring in the hood were completely missing from the car. I am surprised that this dangling wire didn't short out and blow a fuse.

I now see it on the wiring diagram ... depicted with other wires on the opposite side of engine from where light should be. I know .... you should think of wiring diagram as physical depictions .;.. even thought old ones frequently are.

Thanks for the help.
Carl

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
I now see it on the wiring diagram ... depicted with other wires on the opposite side of engine from where light should be.
Which is why I didn't see it (at first) either. Factory diagrams, on which my color versions are based, used a bit of artistic license at the expense of accurate component/device placement for a few things. If the engine bay lamp and switch can be verified as being factory fitted on the right side of the vehicle, I'll revise the color diagram accordingly.
It is input like this that helps increase the accuracy of the color diagrams.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely the under hood lamp is toward the front of the hood .... intake manifold side. The self-grounding switch is on the cowl (firewall) on the intake manifold side ... above and closer to the fender than the coil. When the hood is closed it will push down the switch and break the ground connection.
Carl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts