Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
What is this thing on my 1981 GTV6 lower left of the speedometer? My previous 1985 GTV6 did not have this. Looks like a choke, but the car is fuel injected.
When I start the car up cold, I need to pull it out a bit to keep the revs up, but can push it back in once the car is warm after a minute or two.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It bumps the throttle open a bit to help warm up. It would be the same as pressing on your accelerator pedal just a bit. It can also double as a cruise control, but don't tell anyone I said that.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm sorry to contradict the others, but I believe all that does is open the vent to the hood louvers.

·
Premium Member
15,842 Posts
What hood louvers? None on the GTV6 except for the HVAC vents under the windshield, separately controlled. Don't remember now from my GTV6s, but I thought the lever was a hand throttle as earlier Alfas had, up through 83?

Dangerous to use those hand throttles as "cruise control", as they don't release automatically if something goes wrong. Of course, that darn safety switch under the hood was always a problem, cutting things off on bumps in the road, requiring one to pop the hood, jump out, reset the switch, and get back into the car and drive off. I just bypassed it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yep, no hood louvers to be sure. That setup was pretty much like a choke and it was gone by 84.

·
Registered
102 Posts
On GTVs with carbs it's a choke; on GTVs with ECU (L jetronic) it's a hand throttle.
Use it as a choke on ECU models and you risk plenum lift off.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Really just useful when your idle is off and you need to keep the revs up while you're stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Or as previously stated a lo-fi cruise control. Or an engine warming mechanism for cold mornings. Or disconnect it from the throttle linkage and attach it to a homemade manual AAV. Take your pick!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Good one mz107 !!
Ya, it is a hand throttle. You should only pull it on AFTER you start the car, to avoid plenum pop. I also use it for the AAV instead of throttle. My car, the Blue Meanie, was Greg Gordons before me, and he hooked that up, as well as a pushbutton cold start.

·
Premium Member
15,842 Posts
"Or as previously stated a lo-fi cruise control"

Almost can't think of anything more dangerous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts