Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I said in other posts I am new to this car, so looking at my pictures could someone tell me what the black cylinder thing that sits to the right of my air bo
Also notice on the what I will call the ram tube coming out of the air box the circular thing that looks like it should have maybe a vacum hose but if it did where would it lead.

Is there a manual I should own that will help me identify the different parts that I am having trouble with. Replaced the air filters today for that bottom clamp, wish I had smaller less arthritic hands

Its a 79 Spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Those pictures aren't real helpful. They are too close up to tell what you are really looking for.

Look thru the FAQ at the top of the forum and you will find lots of interesting info.

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
when you say black cylinder thing, I guess you mean that cylinder thing, almost out of shot, top centre your first photo?.....if so that is your OVS (Oil Vapour Seperator).......you should remove this and thoroughly clean it through with brake cleaner spray...........you will prob. find all sorts of junk fall out of it. It is part of the crankcase breathing system and can get real messy inside (if it hasn't fallen apart altogether inside!)

The small "hose outlet" on the airbox: the photo doesn't really show where it is........at a guess it is one of these, as described in this thread:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/carburetors-fuel-injection/25018-spica-airbox-hose-question.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oil vapor seperator

I think from looking around the site that is what it is. My next question what purpose does it serve and do they need to be replaced at certain intervals

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I think they recirculate/direct the oil vapors that occur when oil is heated up, into the intake manifold to be recycled/burned in the combustion chambers. Its kindalike a emmissions item.

If my explanation is not exact, other well knowlegeble members here will correct me......

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Also notice on the what I will call the ram tube coming out of the air box the circular thing that looks like it should have maybe a vacum hose but if it did where would it lead.
That would be the TAC (Thermostatic Air Cleaner) vacuum motor. A temperature sensor in the air cleaner sends a vacuum signal to the TAC motor which then blends cold intake air with warm air from around the exhaust manifold to maintain engine intake air temp to about 104F.

Is there a manual I should own...
Please send me a private message with your email address and I'll send you the 1979 factory Alfa engine maintenance manual. It includes systems descriptions, Spica and ignition stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Papajam does it also have an influence on the secondary points? I wonderd about that cause it hooks to the connector to the distributer. Can you also send me this diagram?
My 79 had this unit in it and wish to learn it's function

·
Premium Member
24,487 Posts
Yes, I thought it was the spark retard vaccum switch for dual-point Marellis distributors of the smog era. Most are disconnected/broken by now, but some still function or are present even if not functioning.
Andrew

·
Registered
163 Posts
And it's not to be confused with the often problematic fuel cutoff switch that is there to protect you in the event you should find yourself upside down. Like it would help at that point.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Papajam does it also have an influence on the secondary points? I wonderd about that cause it hooks to the connector to the distributer.
We're talking two different devices.
The second pic shows the front of the TAC vac motor (and the vacuum hose fitting). The off white plastic device (with the red hose) in the foreground of the first pic is the vacuum switch for the ignition system. This vacuum switch, when sensing low/no vacuum (high engine loads), engages the secondary set of points in the distributor which retards the ignition timing a few degrees.
Both the TAC temp sensor and the ignition vacuum switch use the same manifold vacuum source.

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Oil Vapor Separator

Here's a picture of an Oil Vapor Separator removed from the car. This one has, of course, been cleaned and repainted.

Auto part

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well if you are upside down in a stock Spider with no roll cage....being on fire too probably won't matter because your head and spine are crushed and likely you'll not feel a thing! But good to know it's there lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts