Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be visiting museo storico in October with my wife and my son, as I have been aching to go there for a long time. After seeing so many of the exhibits in photos over the years it is simply a must-see museum for me on this trip.

One car that has elluded me to an identity is on this page -

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/aogallery/showphoto.php/photo/584/cat/545

I cant seem to copy and paste the image i'm afraid, but i'm hoping someone knows exactly what it is. I think I might have seen an image of it, taken at last years Villa d'este concours and I have an incling that it was destined to become the 105 series replacement for the 101 Giulia SS... Is this remotely correct?

Love to hear what you guys can tell me. No doubt there's someone out there who's been to the museum at Arese and has read the plaque! Any hints or tips for visiting the place?

·
Registered
874 Posts
The car that catched your attention, indeed displayed at the museum, is a 1964 proposal of Giugiaro on Bertone's behalf, called Giulia Sport Speciale. It might
have been a replacement for the 101 Giulia SS, as you correctly guessed.

As you can see, the front mixes some elements from the Giulia GT (fenders upper line) with an anticipation of the yet-to-come Alfetta GT.

The rear section instead is less convincing (IMHO) and includes a rear window taken from the Testudo prototype.

It remained a prototype.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
It's a beautiful car, some of the nose elements remind me of the first Grifos. I too would like to see some better photos of it. What a pity it remained a one-off.

Alex.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Reminds me of a Series I Chevrolet Camaro with "our" grille stuck in the middle instead of the bowtie.:D
I always wondered where GM design came up with the idea for that car!
Any pictures of the back view? I wonder if GM copied that too?

·
Registered
874 Posts
italiansedanman said:
Thanks gtv2000! Is there anywhere I can see more pictures of it on the web?
Well, I can't say. It's illustrated in some Alfa books, including the quite cheap Alfetta GT edited by Nada in Milan. As I remembered it was in that book, it took me only a couple of minutes to get back to pic and description.

cheers

·
Registered
563 Posts
its got bags of FIAT Dino Coupe in it!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Alex said:
It's a beautiful car, some of the nose elements remind me of the first Grifos. I too would like to see some better photos of it. What a pity it remained a one-off.

Alex.
I agree with you Alex. I think it's one of the best Alfa designs ever, if not the best. Here are some pics of her from my Alfa Museo visit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
More than a touch of Montreal and Miura in the trailing edge of the door and window profile eh?

Thanks for those photos Nino1969, and tips for visiting the Museum? Is it neccesary to book?

·
Registered
371 Posts
You have to call first, before you go. If I remember well the museo is open from 9:00 - 12:30 & 14:00 - 16:30.
When I was there with my wife, we were the only visitors!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Also you can do this, although it is forbidden!!:D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
nino1969,

As I recall that is the car with the "Paris" badge on front. It is a recreation and, to the dismay of the PR man who took us on a tour of the museum (back when all visitors were provided with a tour guide), it has vinyl rather than leather upholstory.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Even the finger plates look like the same ones on the Grifo. I just love it!! I wonder how much it would cost to commission a body on a Sprint GT chassis, find some glass, make one from scratch ....

And that looks like a GTA-SA engine in the background, doesn't it? I've never known why no-one has the gumption to race with one of those fitted (yeah, I know they're rare), wouldn't it be acceptable to the various homologation authorities?

Alex.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Alex said:
And that looks like a GTA-SA engine in the background, doesn't it? I've never known why no-one has the gumption to race with one of those fitted (yeah, I know they're rare), wouldn't it be acceptable to the various homologation authorities?
Nope. As far as I can identify it, it's a fuel-injected 2600 straight-6. The first experimental application of Bosch mechanical injection at Alfa in the late 60s. A GTA-SA would not feature the rear-looking air intake.

The GTA-SA was an impredictable beast, as the power was coming all of suddenly, not always at the same revs nor under precise conditions. Scary. Yet there are a few around, if anyone fool and wealthy enough wants to try...

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
gtv2000 said:
As far as I can identify it, it's a fuel-injected 2600 straight-6.
You're correct. The engine was mentioned recently in the Yahoo 2000/2600 newsgroup. It has a SPICA pump.
Unfortunately, pictures that were posted (requires login to the newsgroup) are quite small and don't show a lot of detail.

·
Registered
874 Posts
italiansedanman said:
and the Audi 100 Coupe, and the Fiat Dino coupe and the...
Please stop your list short of the Daewoo Matiz... :eek: :D

Seriously, the Alfa projet may pre-date the other developments quoted here, but this has to be checked. It its logical that a new shape, not accepted for production by a carmaker, will be reworked and proposed elsewhere. Now Giugiaro might have exaggerated with some resemblances over the years...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts