Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I created this so people can talk/complain/ponder/kibbitz the value and merit of Milanos in various conditions. It never fails that somebody posts their car in the classifieds and people want to tear it apart or rain on their parade which is not terribly cool. So instead, this can be like a _therapy_ thread since we are all kinda crazy for owning these unique cars and we really need a "support group". The first step is admitting you have a problem :)

I'll go first... "Hi my name is John, and I own a Milano" :D

To the nellies out there talking smack to poor sellers looking to move on... if a new prospective owner isn't prepared to sort out Alfa-isms then they aren't ready to be an owner yet :) If they price it too high, it won't sell, and they didn't research market values well so let 'em go figure it out on their own. No need to brow beat the poor souls. My Milano is like a boat... keep throwing money at it and those fixed things get better, yet new problems keep popping up. Maybe a better analogy for the process is:

I have been mechanically refining this car for 15 years and it's still nowhere near where I want. The body is straight and for the most part rust free but needs paint badly IMO. I probably have over $18k into this car in total and no way in heck would I even consider selling for half that. However, the market would probably only bear a value of something in that ballpark and without a shiny paint job (~$4k or more here in California) I would imagine a good amount less.

The good news is the mechanicals are awesome and she handles killer. This my friends is what we are actually buying. That and the fact that these cars provide a level of feedback from the road that I have yet to find but in a few very expensive cars. This is the beauty and attraction and you simply cannot put a price on that if you ask me.

So to the folks who think there is even the slightest proposition of getting their money back out of them, you may have to let that dream go. Feel free to buy a clean rust free and straight CHASSIS at $5-7k and just budget in the extra money you will spend... it will be worth it in the long run, I promise. FYI, when I bought my car 15 years ago I PLANNED on a total budget of 20k. Well it looks like I may go over the mark a bit but put it into perspective. A 20-25k Milano is a kick *** car with a new trans and motor. What on the planet can you buy new nowdays that even comes close to the performance->value ratio?<semi-rhetorical>

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I created this so people can talk/complain/ponder/kibbitz the value and merit of Milanos in various conditions. It never fails that somebody posts their car in the classifieds and people want to tear it apart or rain on their parade which is not terribly cool. So instead, this can be like a _therapy_ thread since we are all kinda crazy for owning these unique cars and we really need a "support group". The first step is admitting you have a problem :)

I'll go first... "Hi my name is John, and I own a Milano" :D

To the nellies out there talking smack to poor sellers looking to move on... if a new prospective owner isn't prepared to sort out Alfa-isms then they aren't ready to be an owner yet :) If they price it too high, it won't sell, and they didn't research market values well so let 'em go figure it out on their own. No need to brow beat the poor souls. My Milano is like a boat... keep throwing money at it and those fixed things get better, yet new problems keep popping up. Maybe a better analogy for the process is:

I have been mechanically refining this car for 15 years and it's still nowhere near where I want. The body is straight and for the most part rust free but needs paint badly IMO. I probably have over $18k into this car in total and no way in heck would I even consider selling for half that. However, the market would probably only bear a value of something in that ballpark and without a shiny paint job (~$4k or more here in California) I would imagine a good amount less.

The good news is the mechanicals are awesome and she handles killer. This my friends is what we are actually buying. That and the fact that these cars provide a level of feedback from the road that I have yet to find but in a few very expensive cars. This is the beauty and attraction and you simply cannot put a price on that if you ask me.

So to the folks who think there is even the slightest proposition of getting their money back out of them, you may have to let that dream go. Feel free to buy a clean rust free and straight CHASSIS at $5-7k and just budget in the extra money you will spend... it will be worth it in the long run, I promise. FYI, when I bought my car 15 years ago I PLANNED on a total budget of 20k. Well it looks like I may go over the mark a bit but put it into perspective. A 20-25k Milano is a kick *** car with a new trans and motor. What on the planet can you buy new nowdays that even comes close to the performance->value ratio?<semi-rhetorical>
I was going to open this exact point on dude's for sale thread, but even I realized that this is a bit much for a for sale thread. What is a Milano really worth? Well if you compare it to the other front engine rear transaxle cars on the market, hmm, the cheapest one I can think of is a Corvette. Don't they start at around $50K now? So a like new Milano is worth what?

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
What's a Milano worth? Less than a similar condition GTV6! :p
Never argue about religion. I am in the church of Sedan, so, no, you are wrong. Tragically wrong! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Never argue about religion. I am in the church of Sedan, so, no, you are wrong. Tragically wrong! ;)
Brilliant reply.

BTW I have always thought the Alfetta/GTV6 and Milano forums should be combined into a Transaxle Alfas forum (1972 to 1994 when you include the SZ/RZ). Less clicking back and forth that way.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The true value for really nice Milano/75 should be 10K'ish. The choke hold on these cars are usually between 1k and 4k for a good one. The question is, who is creating this choke hold? Mine is not for sale because of this reason.
I think most of us know if you buy a 2k Milano, its usually pretty nice. If you invest 3 to 5k into it in quality mods, do most of the work yourself. It should have a 10k'ish value, no doubt. But for some reason if you put 4k into it, its worth 2k, if you put 6k into it, its hardly worth 3k. Something is definitely wrong with this picture.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I too go to Randyleepublic's church, same chassis, room for four!
I was actually considering that silver $13k Milano knowing it's a crazy price but supposedly all done. (are they ever done?)
I've bought them from $200 (parts car) to $3500 (nice driver).
Mine is mechanically good, poly bushings, donuts, brakes, nice Verde interior and good cold AC... etc but 121k on the engine and needs paint also.
So it's only worth what somebody will pay, I would think $3500-$4500 but I would rather part it than sell it for that.

On on another note I'm going to see what I in it (have owned it for 15 years) but I'll start a new thread on that one.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My name is Chris and I own a Milano...

I have had a Milano in the family since 1989. They have their good and bad points. In my opinion, they carry on the Gulia tradition of ugly but awesome Alfa sedans. They are undervalued (unlike Gulias!). The market is what it is. The answer is... don't sell! :D My Platinum has 268k miles on it now. I replaced the clutch at 180,000. The engine is original, but tired. :p

My point is that if you want a car this fun and this cheap, buy! It is a buyers market. But do not whine if you decide to sell. Think of all the fun you had driving it! If you are a buyer, please don't pour salt on the seller's wounds by slagging his car on this forum or making an insulting offer. Do you really think he might take less than one third of his asking price? Get real.

When I sold my GTV I had several "buyers" come look at it and make stupid offers. I was polite but did not budge from my price. There was no point. They were looking for a steal. I sold the car within a few weeks for a fair price. I did not negotiate price with anyone who did not drive the car. They had no idea what it was worth before they saw and drove it.

If a seller's price seems high to you, wait to make your offer. If it is really overpriced, the seller will reduce it when it becomes clear to him. Or if the car is close to you, go drive it. Then at least the owner knows you are serious. Then, if you want the car and can't agree on price, wish the owner well and part as friends.

Finally - it is great that Milanos are so cheap to buy. It means that people without much money can experience such a fun car. And for you people that have spent $50k building your dream Ferrari killing Milano, drive it! Don't sell it! Or next time think about buying a 348tb or F355 if you want to keep your money safe.

My 2 cents.

~Chris

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Tired at 268k? Cool I still have many miles to go.

I don't think anybody here is whining,
We know what the market is, and I agree don't sell.

To get back to original post, We all know the parts/clapped out cars are cheap but it would be nice to know what really good Milanos have actually sold for, not asking prices but actual sales prices.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sad but true. After enough of them are destoyed, hopefully the value will go up. It the mean time, poor Alfisti will be able to get parts from the pick and pull to keep their Lemons race cars and cheap street cars running.

~Chris

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
That is a downside, we had local Verde that had an engine fire,not all that much damage actually, but it wasn't even offered to local Alfisti. One guy tried to get from the local wrecking yard but I don't think he was able to.

·
Registered
173 Posts
engine fire Verde

That's too bad. My Alfetta race car was an engine fire car bought from a private party. I replaced belts, hoses and rewired the engine compartment and had a runner. Even the paint buffed out. It had a cracked spica FI line. That Verde would have been a great starting point or parts car.

~Chris

·
Supporting Vendor
4,448 Posts
Here's a data point from the other end of the spectrum.

I have a low-mileage Verde that I like to think is quite nice. It has a few performance upgrades (Shankle suspension, 16" wheels, Euro Carellos, etc.) but is not a highly modified example, and could be easily put back to stock condition. As one might expect of a car that is well taken care of, every single thing on the car is 100% functional - A/C, cruise control, windows, etc. all function perfectly.

Now - nearly every time I take the car to a local car show or Cars & Coffee event, I get an out-of-the-blue offer on the car (it's not for sale). Some of these offers have been thousands or more above what is typically talked about as the top selling price of a Verde here on the BB. These people making offers are not Alfisti, they arrived at the show in a Porsche or a Mercedes or some other non-Alfa. They just like the car, perhaps have always wanted one, and almost always say they never see nice ones on the road... so when they do see one that looks and drives well, they respond with a ready offer. The first time this happened I though it was a fluke, but it has been a pattern.

However, if I posted my car for sale with the same asking price I have been offered, I would probably take all sorts of abuse on this forum.

My point is that top quality cars will always find a buyer, regardless of what people in online forums or the SCM database says.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Ok so let's hear it, what have you been offered? Just curious, you said it's not for sale and mines not either, but that's what this thread is about right? As I said earlier we all know what parts cars/ beaters are worth, but what is a really good one worth? "worth" as in whats been offered by a serious buyer.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,448 Posts
Ok so let's hear it, what have you been offered? Just curious, you said it's not for sale and mines not either, but that's what this thread is about right? As I said earlier we all know what parts cars/ beaters are worth, but what is a really good one worth? "worth" as in whats been offered by a serious buyer.
The lowest offer was $8,500 and the highest was $12,000. I assume they were all serious as they left me contact info and said to get in touch if I changed my mind. I suppose to people used to playing with much more expensive cars those are not big numbers. I am not saying this is what they are "worth" but it is another data point for the discussion.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, I do think thats a good data point for the higher end.
The Milano/75 will be the Super of the 80s and I also think prices will go up, witness Berlina's, and it being the last "real" Alfa etc.. But the best return on investment is the joy we get out of them now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Roi

... But the best return on investment is the joy we get out of them now.
If we are happy with this, whatever else that might happen is gravy. Besides... I know that if there is ever profit in restoring these cars, speculators and not enthusiasts will buy them and I will be p*ssed!

~Chris

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
I can tell you from close personal experience there is no profit in restoring and selling them. Doesn't stop me from trying though, as I get to drive them as I do it !! ;-}

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I can tell you from close personal experience there is no profit in restoring and selling them. Doesn't stop me from trying though, as I get to drive them as I do it !! ;-}
See, you and I are standing in the same field, just on other sides of the fence. I don't want to restore any Alfas, at least not right now - I know it's a losing battle. Instead I am trying to discover a pathway to happy, driver-oriented, Alfa ownership. I am not quite there yet, but I haven't given up yet either, and I have certainly learned much along the way.

I am still hoping for the big shortcut: the 4c arrives in a year or so, on target for weight and price!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts