Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.
have a small problem.
Mechanic says that this front bush on the RHS needs replacement.
He says it is the "caster bar bush" (Australia)
I have searched, but am not 100% certain what the name of this bush is.
I think it may be also referred to as the radius rod bush.
I am after a poly bush...just need to know its name...
Pics are attached

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Well there is no way to screw front bushes on the 33. The front suspension of the 33 comprises of 6 bushes where 4 of them are like the ones you are showing on the photo.

You may call this bush front wishbone-to-crossmember bush. The rear wishbone that bolts on the floor mount has a different bush (smaller in diameter and longer) whereas the one you are reffering is wider and shorter.

The photo reveals that the bush is worn out as it has come off its seating - any possibility that you have a leaking motor where oil drips on the crossmember and puddles on the area of this bush?

My advise is to replace all 6 bushes. You will need 4 bushes like the ones on the photo (wishbone to crossmember) and 2 bushes for the rear wishbone (rear wishbone to floor mount)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Thanassis.
You are correct...the bush is totally worn out.
I have had a power steer fluid leak, so i assume this would be the culprit.
Will order up a set.
Are you familiar with a good supplier/brand...overseas purchase is usually cheaper than here in Aust

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi

I would stick to the regular rubber bushes - I have been on a 33 with poly bushes and for sure the ride is stiffer compared to rubber bushes. It is not uncomfortable but I prefer the rubber ones. I think it is a matter of personal taste.

In case you decide to go for rubber bushes, I can supply them at reasonable price among many other parts. There are 6 bushes for the front and 10 for the rear.

Regards

·
Registered
57 Posts
i got the 6 for 90 bucks from the spare place in adelaide however unless you have a hydraulic press just take it straight to the mechanic. i usually do everything my self but it took bout 3 days just to do the one bush your pointing at. i had to chamfer the leading edge of the bush and rig up a puller. i broke a g clamp in process it a real head f*&^. but if you take it to the mechanic get the old ones back cause my mechanic obviously gave up cause i later took a look and at least one bush is definitely the old bush. the mechanic even said he couldn't work out how in hell i did the one my self.
harry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its called "The Spares Place"...is that right?
Mechanic that i go to seems to thinl it is a straight forward job!!
Lets hope so.
Thanks for the reply guys.
BTW...did you notice much difference after replacing those 6?:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah its called "the spare place" good shop he's got most things and can get anything for you. were about in aus are you. yeah not a huge difference in the car but you could definitely tell something had been changed for the better. the mechanic says its and easy job hey? hope it is for him but there a seriously tight fit. like when you hold the new ones over the hole there a good couple of mm bigger so its a real tight fit. good luck though
harry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts