Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to put my top frame back together. To make a long story short, one of the castings that pivots on the triangular plates fell off my bench, hit the floor and broke. I'm very surprised at how brittle it is. Is this piece aluminum? Pot metal? Is it weldable at all? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about the triangular plate with the pivot pin on it? That piece is all steel. The frame is a mixture of cast aluminum and steel pieces. They all can be fixed.

Member @GTD, I believe can fix the part you are talking about. The pin needs to be oriented a certain way for the top to function properly.
Thanks Brian,

I mean the part that rotates on that steel triangular piece, not the triangular piece itself. It forms the B Pillar when the top is up. I thought they were aluminum but when it broke so easily it made me wonder if it was pot metal and maybe not weldable.

·
chiuso per ferie
11,770 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there are some threaded inserts either cast or pressed in to it. It's the piece that you had riveted and welded. That's good news for me. Fortunately mine broke very cleanly and near the top, in the middle of curve and near where the top bow attaches. I wouldn't think that is a highly stressed area. My friend is a good welder, I just wasn't sure what to tell him this is. I'm still surprised it fractured the way it did.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You need a really good tig welder. I had the rear upright broken on my car and a good tig welder was able to made an invisible repair. I would recommend going to a pro. It is Aluminum.
Tony

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes, I think TIG, not sure if MIG will do aluminum or not. I wouldn't think gas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts