Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After investing quite a bit is upgrading and repairing my '92 Spider... it occured to me that getting parts was not an issue. Now that I have invested so much I want to keep the car for a very long time. My question is, will parts remain available for say the next 10 years? Are there parts "no longer available" that, if needed would relegate my car to a chop shop for parts? Part of my concern is the relatively low production numbers for the last few years of the Spider. Earlier models had larger numbers and my guess is that it more worthwhile for aftermarket manufacturers to keep parts for them in stock. Anyone have thoughts about this?

ps - pardon my naivete in asking this but, with all the talk of Alfa coming back to the US market, would dealers stock parts for older models?

·
Administrator
16,661 Posts
My guess is that mechanical parts (bearings, gaskets, etc) will be available. Body panels and especially trim will be the hardest bits to find. And maybe plastic parts could become unobtainium. I think it is possible for some plastic parts to be reproduced in small scale production runs. But that will probably make them more expensive, though.

The big unknown (IMO) is all the computers & sensors. Mechanical parts can always be rebuilt or made. What happens when the computer parts become obsolete? Will they be 'rebuildable'?

I tend to doubt the 'new' Alfa dealers will stock any parts for vintage Alfas. Maybe, just maybe, they'll be able to special order parts. But I doubt they'd bother. The internet (thanks, Mr Gore...) makes it possible - easy even - to search world wide for suppliers.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had the same concerns about my Datsun Roadsters. Those were last produced in 1971 and the production numbers were small compared to the Alfa Spiders. In the case of the Datsuns a couple of small firms picked up the ball and are doing an excellent job of supporting those cars. I suspect that Alfa's(Spiders) will be supported for many years to come. I think that the model that will become unobtanium would be the 164.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Obtainable Parts

Yea I thought the same thing when I bought my Alfa. But finding parts currently doesn't seem to pose much of a problem.

There is a list of suppliers in a "sticky" on this board. I've ordered parts from IAP and Vickauto, and they seem to have ample quantity. I also bought parts from other members off the Classified Forums here with success.

So now I have a Alfa in the garage and a cabinet filled with spare parts, either waiting to replace a failed one OR build another car with them. :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
S4 versus S1-S3
S4 spiders are newer and were better protected against rust. Therefore I am not so sure that there will be less on the road as compared to S1-S3 spiders. This goes for the body panels.

About the engine: how many alfas have motronic in combination with the nord engine? Perhaps that is the most vulnerable part.

·
Banned
129 Posts
If Alfa returns to the US, and who cares (front wheel drive FIAT's, IMHO), there won't be any support for the legacy cars like ours. Think a new Maserati dealer is selling BiTurbo parts, or a new Lotus dealer sells Esprit parts? Hopefully, the aftermarket will take up some of the task, as has happened with the even older Spiders.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have found S4 parts getting rare or just unavailable. You can't get many things which is disappointing. I didn't even consider parts to be an issue for a 1991 car when I got it as I have had ferraris for years and can always get parts. One of my Ferraris is one of 72 built and I can find bits for it. That said with the internet at least you have a chance! Unfortunately (unlike Ferraris) many people don't seem to bothered if the car has original parts or something close so that puts pressure on the remanufacturers to go cheap instead of original. Guess we will just have to figure it out as it goes but heck if the car is in great shape you probably will not need much for it over the years unless it is your only car and you are racking up the miles!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,366 Posts
The S4 Spiders are at an interesting point in time right now: Old enough that things are becoming unavailable from Alfa, yet new enough that most reproduction suppliers have not yet begun to produce parts for them.

As demand increases and the cars get a little older, they will be much better supported. The interiors especially on these cars seem vulnerable, and there is much more available now than just a few years ago.

Things will get better, trust me.

Joe

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If I had an S4 i'd shop for a spare Bosch Motronic ECU.
I did this for my S3, picking up spare ECU and ICU for "the right" price.

It is invaluable to have spares like these to help in eliminating suspect items when trouble shooting. Shop for the "critical" parts when your car is not off the road waiting to find one. Not only are these kinds of spares handy, but a great investment, as prices are and have gone up.

Best regards, Elio

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
god forbid if you get into an accident and need a new door, hood or rear, where would the autobody shop get the panels from?

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
hey , it happend t me a few months ago.. a slow parking lot hit....bent the driver finder in( i just pulled it out to drive it a bit) and had to replace the steering box...they totaled it..but i forgot to send in the imfo to local dmv...lets see what happens when i re- reg. it..so far no letters from dmv, or my insurance comp.maybe she will slide thru with out becoming an 'salavage' car..it took my $200.00 to fix it myself.. the insuance comp. gave me 3200 for the car..i kept it.:)

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
are you serious? that is horrible.
The best thing to do is get a stated value insurance policy for your Spider. They will have millage limitations so it's best if your Spider is not a daily driver.

I have a stated policy on mine with a limit of 3,000 miles a year (I usually put between 1,200 to 1,500 miles a year) It's cheap too I have a very high value on mine and it's around $320 a year (State Farm Ins.).

PS: Body parts can be found if lets say you wrecked your door or fender just call APE in Colorado (their a major Alfa junk yard).

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
The best thing to do is get a stated value insurance policy for your Spider. They will have millage limitations so it's best if your Spider is not a daily driver.

I have a stated policy on mine with a limit of 3,000 miles a year (I usually put between 1,200 to 1,500 miles a year) It's cheap too I have a very high value on mine and it's around $320 a year (State Farm Ins.).

PS: Body parts can be found if lets say you wrecked your door or fender just call APE in Colorado (their a major Alfa junk yard).
i currently have haggerty's - i stated the value at 20k - think that is about right?

i would not want to go through the hassle of locating parts - i would hope that the autobody shop along with my insurance company would do that - let's just hope that none of us will ever have to deal with that.

i need to take my car out soon - it is in hibernation in NJ.

i was thinking of taking it to atlantic city next week if the weather is nice.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Parts for the IV Series Spider shouldn't be a problem. In Europe, we have a lot of good vendors who stock 'em. Bosch etc was used on many other makes. Parts incl panels etc. are with Alfa Romeo Parts and Spares www.highwoodalfa.com who ships every week to the states.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
god forbid if you get into an accident and need a new door, hood or rear, where would the autobody shop get the panels from?
Local suppliers order these parts from Europe, or the body shop could order directly from a European source. This is no different than what it is for any other classic car. When suppliers of other marques don't have a part in stock in the U.S., they also order it from overseas. We must remember that there are many countries which have had a continuous Alfa presence.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
What about the interchangeability of the Motronic ECUs? Could you simply take the Motronic box from a BMW or something and pop a Squadra chip into it and have it work?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts