Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct driver's side mirror for my 71 spider? Did they even come with a passenger's side one? I'm not interested in having a PS one anyway. Right now, I have these two black plastic ugly things that have an italian name. Anyway, they have to go.

Does anyone have a mirror they would sell me?

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
Most of the mirrors were dealer add ons (at least here in the US). A period Italian Vittaloni mirror, regardless of shape, would work just fine...

Even a bullet style mirror like a 1970s English Talbot would be proper.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Sean,
The round chrome mirror sold by Centerline, IAP, et.al. is similar in shape & size to what was most likely installed. (as Stu says, by the dealer) They are about $50 and usually have the Alfa insignia cast into the body. I have bought several over the years and they are just ok. The chrome flakes off over time.

The "original" one was most likely stainless, not chrome and had a knurled section on the base. They are available around $100 but harder to find. BTW, they usually did not install a mirror on the right.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I can't read german though! LOL. I'm still not sure whether to restore this car or...what. Anyone want to convince me to?? :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
sprintgtc said:
Sean, found a picture of the original style mirror:
The one pictured here on a red car (probably 365 "daytona") is different from the one being discussed here on the thread. This mirror is called "daytona" or "pininfarina" mirror and was fitted to left front fenders of spider 1600 "duetto"s. It was also used on some ferraris such as daytonas and dinos. I remember seeing an official picture of three 2000 models (GTV, spider and berlina) lined up on one hairpin curve somewhere, in which the spider had aforementioned round mirrors with the cross and the serpent casted on the front side of them. Most of the ones sold today are reproduction and do not have wording ("MARINI" and some numbers) at the top of the front side of the mirror body.

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Tiger,
That is a picture of a Ferrari and that mirror was the mirror most often installed on the '69 and '71 Alfas in the US. As you say, the serpent & cross mirror is for 2Ls. Sean's car is a 1750.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
sprintgtc said:
Tiger,
That is a picture of a Ferrari and that mirror was the mirror most often installed on the '69 and '71 Alfas in the US. As you say, the serpent & cross mirror is for 2Ls. Sean's car is a 1750.
Okay, but I have never seen 1750 coda tronca originally equipped with daytona mirror. Do you have any official photo of 1750 coda tronca with daytona mirror that you can share here on bb?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Euro 1750 GTVs and Spiders and all Duetto 1600s got a round mirror with no Alfa emblem on the back. Part #105.03.61.017.00.
The 2l Euro GTV got it's own round mirror with emblem that carried #105.48.61.017.00.
The most popular mirror, in the US anyway, 105.64.61.017.00 (which is a Montreal # BTW), was fitted to US version 1750 & 2l GTVs and Spiders and the Euro 2l Spiders. It is also round and has an Alfa emblem on the back.
Thank you papajam!

So according to what papajam found out, US version 1750 spider coda tronca was sold with the popular round one with cross/serpent insignia on the front side of the mirror body. I wonder what kind of mirror alfa used on Euro version 1750 coda tronca... The one mentioned in papajam's post I quoted above that is said to be fitted on Euro 2000GTVs (105.48.61.017.00) do have 1750 part number (105.48=Euro 1750GTV IIRC) so this may have been used on all hanging-pedal 1750s too. Is this the one with loooong stem?

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Thanks Jim & Tiger,
Looks like the square-tail 1750s usually had the insignia mirror. I get a kick out of these threads because we all know the mirror was installed at the dealer's descretion, just like the radio. I'm sure dealers used what was on the shelf at the time.

That said, and getting back to Sean's question, I'd still recommend still recommend using the $100 stainless one over the $50 chrome one. The chrome ones are cheaply plated and flake. You will be happier over time with the quality of the Ferrari-style mirror.

Also Sean, I think the '71 spider is a great car to restore. They are lighter feeling and more nimble than the 2ls. They are a one year only model (at least in US trim) and quite rare. My $.02 .

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sprintgtc said:
Also Sean, I think the '71 spider is a great car to restore. They are lighter feeling and more nimble than the 2ls. They are a one year only model (at least in US trim) and quite rare. My $.02 .
Thanks you guys, for your vast knowledge of such a seemingly simple topic. I didn't know there was so much info about mirrors!!!

If I do restore this car, I'm going to go all out and do everything. I'm not sure. For now, it's just my beater. Nothing wrong with that either! Doesn't mean I don't take of it :) It still gets attention.

Maybe in 20 years this car will actually be worth something...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sean, I just saw your pics of the mirrors on the car now. Ugh - I totally agree with you, those are the cheapo ones that can be found in mail order catalogs and auto parts stores. I just committed (maybe?) a faux pas and fitted the $50 chrome ones (with the alfa logo on the back) on my 78. I know they're not original, but I like them anyway. I think they look great, and I couldn't decide how I wanted to refinish the old ugly plastic ones.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I, too, like the chrome or polished mirrors, either round or rectangular. I plan to install one on each side of the car to deal with modern traffic. ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
To go off on a tangent, I don't use the mirrors much if the top is down. I remember switching from the Spider as my daily driver to the Acura, I was frustrated by my inability to tell where the cars were around me just by hearing them. Driving a convertible for years, apparently this really happens. When the top is up (rarely, of course), mirrors on both sides are great. The only thing I will miss about my large black rectangular mirrors is that I had room to put those little convex "blind-spot" mirrors on the glass, which helped.

Sean, according to the DMV, you can leave your mirrors and wheels exactly as-is. The license plate "PIMPD71" is available. Of course then you'd lose your period-correct blue plates. Your call...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Vivace said:
Bill77 - I see a new pic....is the yellow gone?
Vivace -- yes, the yellow is gone, mostly. It's been stripped to bare metal and sprayed with black epoxy primer. The bodywork is progressing very nicely and should be finished in the spring.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
tiger0529 said:
...that is said to be fitted on Euro 2000GTVs (105.48.61.017.00) do have 1750 part number (105.48=Euro 1750GTV IIRC)...
Quite common actually (sorry, going off on a tangent here as well). It would appear that the first five digits of an Alfa 12/14 digit part number (the first three digits are the series number, the forth and fifth are the model number; a '00' for the model number designates all models within that series) designate one (or more) of three things;
1) the model on which the part first appeared
2) the model for which the part was first designed
3) the model for which the part was first intended to appear on
Once a part and it's number have been issued, it could be used for many years on many different models. A perfect example of this is the use of early 60s 101 series parts on 116 series Alfettas.
Euro 1750 model designations;
10544 - LHD GTV
10545 - RHD GTV
10548 - LHD Berlina
10549 - RHD Berlina
10557 - LHD Spider
10558 - RHD Spider

1 - 20 of 23 Posts