Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I read somewhere that Stock Spider timing is 2 degs TDC, is this correct? WHERE are the marks, how can you tell? (we tried looking for marks) Have you/can you advance the timing for additional performance/torque, to how much, seven, ten? What is the max to avoid detonation?

Many thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Going from memory

Hey,

I'm going from memory on this one as I'm traveling this week and don't routinely carry my Alfa manual for leisure time reading. However, I hate to see any question go very long without a response. The timing marks are on the pulley on the passenger side of the car. The marks have letters engraved which correspond to Italian terms. The important thing to know is that you don’t adjust the timing by twisting the distributor. The timing adjustment is made by adjusting the cams themselves. I found that painting the marks (once you find them) with white paint made them much easier to see. I’m sure there are other postings on engine timing, so you may want to search the site. Good look!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Assuming we are talking about a U.S. spec 1991 Alfa Spider, the timing is controlled by the Motronic ECU and can't be advanced with normal methods. You can get a chip from Squadra Tuning which is pretty well regarded and I am pretty sure that advances the timing a little.
Greg Gordon
www.hiperformancestore.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts