Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out what and where does this heat sensor switch attach. Was just hanging in engine bay with 2 wires on it. About 1/2 " diameter and 2 small mounting screws. Trying to get all missing pieces put in place on newly acquired 1986 Spider Veloce. Thanks.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,625 Posts
Switch for the electric fan. It mounts to the right side of the fan cowl

·
Push hard and live
11,033 Posts
It is probably the most Mickey-Mouse engineering I’ve ever seen on an Alfa.

On my S3, it was screwed, by one tiny screw, to the plastic fan shroud on the right side. Temp sensor looks like a transistor, with two mounting holes, but Alfa uses one screw and hangs the sensor out where it will catch the warm air coming aft through the radiator.

So, if by chance, your fan shroud disintegrates, like after the fan blades explode free, after an alternator locks up, then your temp sensor may have nothing left to be screwed into.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My car does not have electric fan but does have this sensor and there is an empty connector for power hanging also. That was probably for the fan power feed. The engine was replaced back in 1998 by previous owner and now does not have electric fan. That makes sense. Thanks for the quick response. This is the most helpful classic car forum I have ever been in. All have been great help. I will have more questions later, I am sure!!

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
My car does not have electric fan but does have this sensor and there is an empty connector for power hanging also. That was probably for the fan power feed
No S3 had an electric fan
(well, until the interim 1990 USA model arrived that is, but that we sort of nick-name the S3.5)

it is a thermistor (thermostatic switch, or run on switch) for the AC fan sitting in front of the radiator......if you still have AC you should reconnect it.

it attached to the fan shroud:
thermistor.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No S3 had an electric fan
(well, until the interim 1990 USA model arrived that is, but that we sort of nick-name the S3.5)

it is a thermistor (thermostatic switch, or run on switch) for the AC fan sitting in front of the radiator......if you still have AC you should reconnect it.

it attached to the fan shroud:
View attachment 1674176
Yes, it does have A/C as I just discovered yesterday! I see the a/c fins in front of the radiator. Not running yet so don't know if working. Wonder if the connector hanging there also goes to A/C ? Thanks for the info. I will check this out.

·
Push hard and live
11,033 Posts
“No S3 had an electric fan”? Except for the one on AC equipped cars, as you note. Blowing air through the condenser and radiator.

My AC was dead, so I removed all the heavy stuff. I left the electric fan in, because why not?

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
The condenser fan comes on when you turn the a/c on.

The sensor is for when it get to hot in front on the radiator it will turn on the condenser fan even when the a/c is off. It will also turn on the fan even when the car is off.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
The condenser fan comes on when you turn the a/c on.

The sensor is for when it get to hot in front on the radiator it will turn on the condenser fan even when the a/c is off. It will also turn on the fan even when the car is off.
You beat me to the answer. When I hear a fan come on after I get home after a hot day, I can open the hood to dissipate heat and the fan will stop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good to know about the automatic fan. I won't be hearing it for a while yet, I am sure!! Thanks. Learning about this car as I go along. Interesting features.

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
You beat me to the answer. When I hear a fan come on after I get home after a hot day, I can open the hood to dissipate heat and the fan will stop.
We had one summer in Atlanta back in the early 90's that was so hot. We had to take the sensor loose from the shroud and stuff it down away from the radiator. The fan would run so long from the heat it would kill the battery. That was when it was pushing close to 100 everyday for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Norseman50

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
We had one summer in Atlanta back in the early 90's that was so hot. We had to take the sensor loose from the shroud and stuff it down away from the radiator. The fan would run so long from the heat it would kill the battery. That was when it was pushing close to 100 everyday for a couple of weeks.
You mean back when we had global warming? ;)
Not going to debate that subject, just having a little fun

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will have to watch for that in summer!

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
I will have to watch for that in summer!
It only did it that one summer. Also remember back then most of these were daily drivers.

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
Looks like the VVT harness connector.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts