Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering about others who face winter conditions, what you plan to do?

Do you:

Store the care & remove battery or otherwise disconnect it.
Use the car regardless
Use a trickle charger
Use the car enough to keep things moving and lubricated
Change oil to a winter weight

It would be better if I knew how to do one of those "surveys" I've seen others do. But I'm about as talented on the computer as I am working on my car :eek:.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I garage the Spiders, as if I weren't going to drive them. This means I fill up the tanks, put gas stabilizer, slightly over-inflate the tires, and disconnect the batteries. (Spiders have a battery disconnect.) The cars are always up-to-date with their maintenance, so fluids are always in good shape. Nonetheless, if the weather is good, and there is no salt on the ground, I may take them out for a drive.

Survey is no big deal... It's just an option, when you start a new thread. Scroll down on the page, after you have completed the post, and then you can select the option for a poll. (It looks like you will only be able to place a post in a new thread, but you will be able to add the poll, and preview/edit it as much as you want...)

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Last year I put mine in my brother in laws airplane hanger. All I did was park it and started it up every month or so. I will put it on jack stands this year as the tires were a bit flat spotted for a couple of weeks after I started driving again. I'm waiting for a day to drive it up there when it's not raining so she's not "put up wet" I do disconnect the battery though.

Paul

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine gets attention in the winter - like fixing electrics ;). I also drive it a few times around town about once a month. The battery is disconnected when not in use (even in the summer) and it is always garaged.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I change the engine oil and filter, drive my Duetto for an hour or so to warm her up. I hum a tune and enjoy myself. The Killer, i.e. Jerry Lee sounds sooo good in the Duetto, just as Duane Eddy does. In the garage, which is a warm and dry garage, I jack her up on supports. Disconnect the battery and take the radio/CD-player inside.

Then at least three times a week, I go to see if my Duetto is feeling OK. In the spring, likely around March I start the engine and go for a drive to check everything is normal. It is 100 perfect every time. Then, Italy is waiting.

No fuzz, just oil and filter, disconnect the battery and keep her jacked in a dry and warm garage.

Cordially Wille R.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
.. here in fridged california.. i plan to drive it.. a lot..:):).. but this winter... i plan to work on a 4 throttle body conversion, and L jet to LH jet....and try to get her ready for a new paint job..:)

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Unfortunately, I'm building the tarantula of all spiders engine, otherwise I'd be driving it as God intended in the snow, ice, rain:eek:

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
battery disconnect?

Enrique,

I was surprised to hear that Spiders have a battery disconnect. I thought I would have to buy a separate apparatus or manually take off the leads. I have an S4 - does it have a battery disconnect already on it?

Aaron

·
Registered
434 Posts
My plan: finish up the current stage of work (install shift boot and knob, do front-end alignment, replace all vacuum hoses, put dash and everything back together), don my favorite light leather jacket and Raybans, and go driving. :cool:

I love Arizona. :D

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Enrique,

I was surprised to hear that Spiders have a battery disconnect. I thought I would have to buy a separate apparatus or manually take off the leads. I have an S4 - does it have a battery disconnect already on it?

Aaron
Aaron,
Sorry about the confusion. Spiders do not come with a battery disconnect. I got lazy typing, so I didn't choose my words properly. I should have said that all my Spiders have a battery disconnect, which I installed. I have the very simple ones. Two are the ones hooked to the negative battery post with the green knob (no wire to maintain the radio settings or clock settings) and one is a bit more robust. All do the same thing and work well.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enrique - thanks for the clarification. You guys in sunny climes... your really know how to rub it in. I bet you really do miss the gray skies, frigid temperatures, ice and snow storms... an all that salt. Now honestly, aren't you just a little jealous?

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do feel sorry for you guys. Its 33 deg. here and Sunday afternoon we may have a "wintery mix".

Happy Holidays and Wish you were here ;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Drive It

Just wondering about others who face winter conditions, what you plan to do?

Do you:

Store the care & remove battery or otherwise disconnect it.
Use the car regardless
Use a trickle charger
Use the car enough to keep things moving and lubricated (when weather permits)
Change oil to a winter weight

It would be better if I knew how to do one of those "surveys" I've seen others do. But I'm about as talented on the computer as I am working on my car :eek:.
Drove it today for about 45 minutes; it was 35 degrees and partially sunny. I plan on driving it at least once a month when I get chances like this in winter. Oil only has 700 miles on it and I just had the radiator flushed and refilled. Transmission is needing some work, so that will get taken care of soon. I always keep the tank greater than half full anyway, but will probably keep it topped off in the winter about every other time I take it out.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have to drive my spider every day to work since the Toyota beater is getting the carburator rebuilt ...and would you know it? winter is here early. I keep it garaged at night and let it idle for 15 min and still is hard to shift for the first few miles. Normally I would just put it the garage for the winter without doing anything to it, just start it up every week or so.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
The Spider and GTV get to stay in heated storage - run them regularly and if the weather is decent (dry with no salt on the roads) I'll go for a ride. Recently I picked up a Berlina. I'm going to drive it through the winter (again no salt) and see how it does. A rebuilt 1750 with a Wes Ingram SPICA makes for reliable starting even on the coldest days. I think a set of snow tires might be in order.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts