Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This looks like the most fun yet. What is it and where do I buy one? (Is that Bonnie in the background?)

Randy

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was at Mid-Ohio on Wed. and one of the teams testing GTO's had
an orange car similiar to the photo. However, it had a different nose
that was closer to the shark-nose F-1 Ferrari of the early 60's with a
mesh covering the opening etc.... Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Yup, it's the Ariel Atom 2.

It weighs in at 456 kgs / 1005 lbs and has a 2-litre 220 bhp Honda VTEC engine in it. The engine is part of the structure, as on a motorcycle.

It beat the cr*p out of a Dodge Viper on Willow Springs and regularly scares the hell out of any motor journalist who tries it on. It's apparently a lot of fun :)

http://www.arielmotor.co.uk

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh this is wonderful! Now I don't need a Ducati or a TZ cause this thing looks like more fun than the two of them put together. :p

Thanks Guys!!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
"It weighs in at 456 kgs / 1005 lbs and has a 2-litre 220 bhp Honda VTEC engine in it."

I thought they weighed in at about half that; saw it on Top Gear once, the guy driving it had his cheeks seriously flapping in the wind when he opened it up.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
"It weighs in at 456 kgs / 1005 lbs and has a 2-litre 220 bhp Honda VTEC engine in it."

I thought they weighed in at about half that; saw it on Top Gear once, the guy driving it had his cheeks seriously flapping in the wind when he opened it up.
Well, I just lifted the specs from their web page where it says "456 kgs". Clarkson says "five hundred kilograms" on Top Gear, since the BBC speaks in metric. A five hundred pound Atom would be ... even more scary? :)

The attachment shows Jeremy Clarkson's face (and seat harness!) flapping in the wind while driving the Atom 2 :D

Attachments

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... The attachment shows Jeremy Clarkson's face (and seat harness!) flapping in the wind while driving the Atom 2 :D
:eek: Looks painful, but it's got to be awesome! :D

Best regards,

·
Registered
295 Posts
The one is saw at the mitty in road atlanta was one of the first built in america, it had a solstice engine (ecotec) with a supercharger, and a saab transmission.

I think that is basically the same as a cobolt ss engine and trans.

He said he would take me for a ride, but didn't in the end. He had his car next to the booth I was working at. ( www.kokopelliauto.com )

I always thought they were made to look cool, but when i saw one in person I was impressed with the structure of it.

oh, and the rcr car
15k as a roller v. almost 100k

Attachments

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh, and the rcr car
15k as a roller v. almost 100k
Huh? :confused: Are you saying that it is somehow possible to get one of these for $15K??? Please elaborate. What is "the rcr car"?

Regards,

·
Registered
869 Posts
Atom like no other!

Check out Dennis's Atom here:

http://www.dpcars.net/

From his website:
"It so happens that this Atom is at least in part a testbed for the V8 that will eventually go into the dp1. And purely coincidentally the model designation for the motor is H1, from Hartley Enterprises. Yep, 2.8L, 375 naturally aspirated horsepower at 10K rpm, 210 lb-ft torque at 6.5K rpm. A more powerful version of the Atom! :) It is considerably lower and 100 lbs lighter than the Ecotec so it will both drop the CG and reduce overall weight. Should make for a fun car. Now you know."

·
Registered
295 Posts
Huh? :confused: Are you saying that it is somehow possible to get one of these for $15K??? Please elaborate. What is "the rcr car"?

Regards,
rcr is Race Car Replicas ( http://www.race-car-replicas.com )

They have no affiliation with the Aerial, however they have a similar car available in kit form on this page. http://www.superlitecars.com

I looked at the roller they had at Carlisle this year and really liked it. It is different from most of their stuff, GT40, Lola T70, Porsche 917, Ferrari P4. All with aluminium monocoques or semi-monocoques except for the 917 which has a space frame made from the original blue prints (very impressive).

Fran from RCR dared me to build a car in 3 weeks, supposibly that is how long it took him and one other guy to build their Superlite Roadster. Tonight is the 3 week mark, I am not quite done but very close.

Point was, you can buy their Superlite Roadster as a roller for $15,995 as opposed to a whole lot more, and you can add almost any fwd engine you like, the roller at the show had a supercharged ecotec.

I will probably post pictures of my car as it becomes more complete, it has a fully stressed saturn twin cam in the back, engine bolts to rear of frame, and a small sub frame bolts to the rear of the engine to support the rear A arm mounts a coil overs, also a single seater.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Better and better!! I could afford one of those. :p

Thanks for the info!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts