Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished replacing my clutch pivot pin, but now I found that my clutch take-up point (i.e., where the clutch engages) is about halfway up the pedal travel.

It used to be much lower than this, maybe 1"-2" off the floor. What is the correct clutch take-up point? I've bled it already, but is there still air in the system?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I;ve been through this twice with our Spiders. As Tifosi says, do make sure the rod length is correct at the master cylinder, but you just get used to the clutch engaging close to the floor as that pivot pin is failing. What you're really seeing is the correct (or close to correct) engagement point.

If the engagement point or clutch feel does not change after pumping the pedal several times, then you have no air in the line.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tifosi and alfaloco. I made the adjustment and it's better now, although as alfaloco mentioned, the low engagement point was probably a result of the pivot pin failing and I just got used to this. Clutch now engages when pedal is about a 1/3 off the floor.

I made a length of dowel at the right length (5.28") and used that to measure distance as somebody suggested on another thread. Much better than using a measuring tape.

Looking back at when it failed, I was lucky that I was home and had the car in the driveway. I was testing the clutch pedal by pulling it back when it gave way.

BTW, despite the instructions from another link, I wasn't able to pull the entire vacuum assembly out enough without taking out the brake master cylinder.

Here's a tip for the next person. Paint a little mark on the end of the tapered pin that holds the clutch pivot arm to clutch pedal. This way you know which is the flat side as you're working it to slide it in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts