Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am feeling stupid today. I am trying to replace the hose to the cold start injector. I have read about burning off the hose to not nick up the "hose barb". What is a hose barb?

I started by cutting off most of the hose to the fuel rail. Then got a small butane torch to burn most of the rest off. I have a short stub left and the metal cap part. I am afraid of hurting the hose barb. :scared:

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
the barb is this part on a normal injector (allows the hose to push on, but not to pull off)...........I think the cold start injector 'barb' is slightly different and made of plastic....??......still, don't nick it or it might leak

Attachments

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok. I found a pic that shows it on the fuel rail side. No wonder I was having issues getting it off.

I can see not wanting the plastic barb from the cold start injector getting nicked up. But it would seem hard to mess up a metal barb if you were careful cutting off the hose.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
I can see not wanting the plastic barb from the cold start injector getting nicked up. But it would seem hard to mess up a metal barb if you were careful cutting off the hose.
"careful" being the operative word:)
but, a slight mistake, just a nick with a carpet knife and it will eventually leak.....hence why the recommendation is to burn the hose off with a soldering iron.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I find some, either from myself or the PO, would it make sense to put on a hose clamp just in case? That side doesn't have one. The cold start injector side does have a clamp ( I think).

The leaking comes from a small gap where the nick is? And the hose is under lots of pressure?

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
fuel might leak out through a nick, yes.

getting a FI hose kit from IAP or similar, then they deliver a kit with hose clamps for the rail side.
Alfa Romeo and Fiat Bosch Fuel Injection/Air Hoses

When I sent mine off to a professional company here, I did so with the old injectors still on the fuel rail, and they removed them, cleaned them, fitted new seals and filters and flow tested, then refitted them with no clamps, like factory.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually bought one of those the last time I placed an order. I was thinking of doing the injector hoses. I will do that another day. But I can use the kit on the other hose I am replacing. Thanks for the reminder!

More reasons I love this forum.

·
Administrator
17,023 Posts
I I started by cutting off most of the hose to the fuel rail. Then got a small butane torch to burn most of the rest off.
Do not use an open flame! An electric soldering iron is what one should use.

The hat shaped 'cap' is used to pevent the end of the hose from spreading. If you use the proper size hose it will be a tight fit and the cap helps keep it in place. The Cold Start Injector is the only connection that uses a hose clamp thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts