Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would you pay for a TI in this condition?

- No rust body, older stripped to metal restoration (about 12 years old) but still looks great. The car is dark navy color.

- Not all trim parts are correct. The bumpers are steels from the earlier years. The overriders have been removed; the holes have been filled and the bumpers have been rechromed. Other trims are all there and original.

- The grill pieces are from 1967 Giulia Super (black mesh with stainless heart).

- Engine, Trans, and differential were done by Besic Motorsports about 10 years ago. The car has been driven less than 3000 miles since. It now has 2.0 liter engine, 45 DCOE Webers, 4.56 diff, and 2 liter transmission.

- Interior are in great shape. Red seats and door panels. Instrumentation still works.

In all, it is a solid, fast, and fun car without too many things to do.

The owner is a good friend under tough situation. He wants the car to be with me. I also want to be fair but without overpaying for it.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
22,397 Posts
So hard to judge values, unseen, and particulary a project car, and particularly between friends when you want to be fair, but not necessarily a market price.

So the current paint is good? At first I thought you were saying it was stripped and ready for paint. Has a TI interior, not Super?

Besic running gear is a good thing. This car is pretty far from stock/pristine, but sounds like a good performance drive that is up for any use you want to put it to. My rough guess of the market value, without seeing pictures, is in the $15,000 range. What would be a friendly price between you is a different matter. $10-12,500?

Andrew

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Andrew for your comment.

More about the car, the restoration was done 12-13 years ago. I was the owner back then. I bought the car from CA and transported it to Chicago. It did not have a lot of rust to begin with. It was white but the paint was poor (sun fade, scratches). We stripped it down to metal then cut off any rust spot and weld in new metal. We then painted it navy blue. Engine was original and weak. Trans also needed work and diff was howling like a dog. Suspension was a bit soft. Interior was original TI with that beautiful but funky ribbon speedo. The previous owner replaced the front seat covers (from Re-originals) just before I bought the car. The rear seat was good but appeared darker due to age. With all these weaknesses, it was still a very fun car to drive. In 1999, I traded this car for a red 1971 GTV with my friend, who is the current owner of this car. During his ownership, he has invested a lot of money in mechanical upgrade.

I just talked to Besic two days ago. The car now has fresh 2 liter motor with high compression pistons, big valves, hot cams. The pedal box was replaced with 1969 box so that it can take hydraulic clutch master cylinder. The braking system has been upgraded to later model spiders. The trans is from a later 2 liter and it was completely rebuilt by Besic. The clutch is from Porche 911 to handle more power. The diff is 4.56 limited slip and was also rebuilt by Besic. It has performance header and exhaust. High performance suspension has also been put on the car (IAP springs, Bilstein shocks). It has been tuned to run with Weber 45. Clearly, this is no longer a stock TI, but it is not a project car either. Besic completed the job back in 2003. Since then, it has been driven less than 1500 miles. According to my friend, it goes like a rocket.

At this point, the car will be picked up by a transporter later this week. Hopefully, it will be here early next week. I'll post some pictures once I get the car. Can't wait.

·
Premium Member
22,397 Posts
I'll bet it goes; sounds great. Can't wait to see pics.
My race Super has a moderate 2000 with 45 Webers (34mm throats) and moves right along.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Lincoln.............your less then a hour away from me. The TI sounds like a nice one good luck with the sell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts