Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - looking for some coaching on what a 1750 complete engine in unknown condition is worth. I need to pull the plugs get some oil down the bores and see if it spins freely still, but assuming it is a rebuild-able core is it worth anything?

Same question on the gearbox...

Any opinions to share?

Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The engine is worth something only to someone missing a 1750 engine. Not many around. Many 1750's were "upgraded" to 2.0 back in the day for the extra performance. I have seen a couple on the list go unsold.

Gearbox, is a gearbox, not special.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PM sent.

Thanks Red, still learning about all the various engines/gearbox combinations. Where all the 5 speed gearboxes the same?

Turns out the PO harvested some of the bits already based on what I found when I pulled the valve cover off.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Gosh,
we could be more help if we found out if it is a euro or US motor, good pics of condition, and what hemisphere you are located.....
Some may be interested if not for shipping cost from Botswana.

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
My sense is APE is getting $1200-1500 for complete rebuilder 1750s of late, usable ones are getting rare. I'd think a private party would charge less. I got two US engines, without Spica, for $500 each two years ago in Denver, was in a position to drag them home.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gosh,
we could be more help if we found out if it is a euro or US motor, good pics of condition, and what hemisphere you are located.....
Some may be interested if not for shipping cost from Botswana.
Good morning, I'll edit my signature so my location (SoCal) is published.

Based on some help from Jim it appears this is a 1750 original USA SPICA engine.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/gt-1963-1977/366458-can-someone-please-confirm-ar00551-06474-engine-size.html

I don't have any history on the donor car or engine etc, so trying to figure all of that out while I learn about the GTs and all their various flavors and what swaps between the Spiders and these. Thanks for everyone's help and patience as I learn here.

Andrew - thanks the info/context.

·
Premium Member
21,690 Posts
Transes, who knows. I think $400-500 is normal for one that can be rebuilt, but you really don't know til you get inside. Often unknown-condition boxes are cheaper.
Andrew

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Transes, who knows. I think $400-500 is normal for one that can be rebuilt, but you really don't know til you get inside. Often unknown-condition boxes are cheaper.
Andrew
Thank you. This is all very helpful as I try to get a plan and budget in place on how the build will come together. Always a roll of the dice when you don't know why a car was taken off the road.

I supposed I should try to see if the engine is free now that the some oil has been in the bore overnight. Wrench on the main bolt whee the cooling fan attaches?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts