Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was found by a fellow 164 owner on a Thai site.
The guy must have wrecked his engine and decided to install another engine easier accessible.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
This was found by a fellow 164 owner on a Thai site.
The guy must have wrecked his engine and decided to install another engine easier accessible.

I like this one better:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I'll bet you that Toyota motor rocks back and forth quite a bit without that upper dogbone attached. But generally a good fit layout wise, if it was the only option for someone. It would be preferable, if faced with the option of letting it rust in the weeds or putting it on the road. I give someone credit for a swap that would have required a lot of work and persistance to get it to run. Unfortunately, the all important "cuore sportivo" (sporting heart) would be gone. :(
Charles

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'll bet you that Toyota motor rocks back and forth quite a bit without that upper dogbone attached. But generally a good fit layout wise, if it was the only option for someone. It would be preferable, if faced with the option of letting it rust in the weeds or putting it on the road. I give someone credit for a swap that would have required a lot of work and persistance to get it to run. Unfortunately, the all important "cuore sportivo" (sporting heart) would be gone. :(
Charles
Yes - looks like a Celica motor, doesn't it. 2.2L 5FE or something, I can't quite recall.

All credit to the guy for the reasons you said, but personally I have owned a Celica (1990 model, 3SGE Japanese market) that I bought last year for $500, and I was quite surprised by the relative harshness of the large four-pot motor. It was my first, and last, Japanese car - only bought because it was being neglected by someone I used to work with, and I can't stand neglect of perfectly-serviceable cars.

Likewise in NZ those motors would be widely available, but always just a matter of time before an Alfa engine turns up. Why not fit a Croma Turbo or Thema Turbo motor, anyway: much easier as they had the same transmissions and mountings! (a bit of a "let them eat cake" statement, I realise...)

-Alex

·
Registered
503 Posts
i would never know, there are at least a spare engine for most the cars i owne all except the 57 veloce and countless other enigines BMW, Chevy big blocks and what not, and no the Chevy engines are not mine its my brothers.
infact just got my Alfa engine at my house for a rebuild and cleaning

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts