Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've driven one of three GTV's continuously to work, and now that I'm retired, as daily drivers and track day cars since 1974. My most recent, a '71 GTV has been nicely restored, is still serving as a "not so daily" driver (3-4 times a week) and will again see Willow Springs, Buttonwillow and Laguna Seca (or whatever they call it now). It's had a recent outing to the San Marino Classic car show.

alfa173.jpg

I haven't driven or owned a modern Alfa (Well, since the late '70's). I saw an add for a 2017 Giulia Ti Lusso with 6500 miles on it so I went to look and test drive it three weeks ago...which led to a same day drive home.

Alfa Giulia.jpg

I'm enjoying the Giulia a lot! My wife likes it too, she'll ride in it but not in the '71. HOWEVER, it's got 4 doors, not 2! And at 72 years old, while I find the Lusso driving position great, getting into the car is actually more challenging than with the '71 GTV.

What if Alfa made a new "retro" GTV for us? Something akin to what the manufacturers of modern retro-styled Cameros, Mustangs and Chargers are doing? Make something with 2 doors, easier ingress than the Giulia, elements of the GTV styling of the '70's, but with all the current Giulia's bells and whistles.

I took some time to sketch a "GTV" concept blending my '71's styling with the new Giulia's. First I scaled and printed side view pics I had of the cars, then I "averaged out" their profiles and wheel bases, sometime favoring the style of one over the other. One main goal I had was to open up the angle of the rear of the door to allow easier access for an old codger. And I wanted to capture a retro look. I kind of like it. It does need work, especially something about the roof-line needs refinement.

gtvlussoblend3.jpg

I'm sure many of you have WAY superior design skills compared to me. How about posting your "Retro" 2-door, modern GTV ideas? Maybe Alfa will take the hint. Perhaps it could be their somewhat lower priced entry level car.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,886 Posts
Eh, just buy a Giulia, weld the rear doors shut, and punch some holes in the engine so it leaks oil. Done.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a very cool car! I've heard about it. It's not what I was hinting at though with my feeble attempt at a sketch or in my prose.

I don't see in it any of the '70's GTV "retro" look. Price point-wise, I doubt if it will be entry level...perhaps it'll be even higher than the Giulia. The styling looks more like a super-car. Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome...

...I guess it's me... I'm too retro.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
9,990 Posts
That's a very cool car!
I agree that the 2021 GTV is a cool car. But I don't see any DNA from Giugiaro's 1960's design in it.

Car Magazine article said:
The new Alfa GTV will fit under the bespoke, carbonfibre-bodied Alfa Romeo 8C, also confirmed for production. Where the 8C is a limited-edition, super sports car, the GTV will roll off the regular production line.
Seems like a smart strategy to slot a performance car beneath the low-volume / high-price 8C and the everyday Giulia.

But, will the 2021 GTV be available with three pedals?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts