Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Crew;
You may have noticed that my posts have gone way down.
Does any body else know what may have changed the time it takes to get a page up?????
Heck I try and try to get a page up and it takes forever!!!!!
Only happens to our loved Alfa BB.
All is well at all other sites and BBs i vist.
Only have issues with this BB.
Hope this get fixed soon
Take care
PS

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I believe the issue arises from the Google ads loading in the background.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
What Happened to Our BB....

I believe the issue arises from the Google ads loading in the background.
It must be system or network specific; I have not experienced any slower loading than normal except on my laptop and that's a firewall issue with the accelerator that I have loaded that can't seem to find itself or read minds.

·
Premium Member
15,534 Posts
Haven't had any problems at all.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
It must be system or network specific; I have not experienced any slower loading than normal except on my laptop and that's a firewall issue with the accelerator that I have loaded that can't seem to find itself or read minds.
You might be right. New pages take 10-20 seconds to load. Replying is instant (no new links). There is a possibility that the issue arises from my antivirus software with phishing filter that checks each link in the Google ads before displaying them.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You might be right. New pages take 10-20 seconds to load. Replying is instant (no new links). There is a possibility that the issue arises from my antivirus software with phishing filter that checks each link in the Google ads before displaying them.
With all my filters/anti-virus software/etc. Im pretty much the same way: slow to start-but afterwards much better.What I DO question is it ONLY happens w 'BB' All other sites there is NO lage times. I guess with all the junk out there to be concerned with and trying to prtect proprietory information from my other business programs; I think it's better to be 'slow' than 'sorry'...
.....Ed K

·
Registered
318 Posts
The speed of this site is down significantly. Has to be the new ads...
Very annoying I might add!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The pages have been slow to load since the Google ads. However, let's be considerate about this situation since the ads are meant to raise revenue for the maintenance of the BB. In prior discussions I mentioned that if 300 members (out of the 15000+ on the BB) would contribute $20 a year, we would note be having financial issues, but that hasn't been the case. Hence, we've brought this on ourselves and the answer is to contribute and encourage others to do so as well. We need to be careful about complaining without providing a viable alternative, since that is very unsupportive of the monthly expense being footed by our moderators.

Best regards,

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
OK. Here's something that may help understand what happens (and how to cure the problem at least partially).

I'm using an XP system with IE 7.0 and PCcillin antivirus software.

When a new page loads, the "Internet" icon at the bottom right of the screen disappears and "Unknown Zone" is displayed instead until the page loads.
So, this was an indicator that the delay may be caused by my computer system, not AlfaBB.

I then went to Tools-->Internet Options-->Privacy-->Sites and added AlfaBB.com to "Address of website" and clicked the "Always allow" button.

The pages now load a lot faster.

Please check if this helps on your computers as well and post the results here.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
What Happened to Our BB

OK. Here's something that may help understand what happens (and how to cure the problem at least partially).

I'm using an XP system with IE 7.0 and PCcillin antivirus software.

When a new page loads, the "Internet" icon at the bottom right of the screen disappears and "Unknown Zone" is displayed instead until the page loads.
So, this was an indicator that the delay may be caused by my computer system, not AlfaBB.

I then went to Tools-->Internet Options-->Privacy-->Sites and added AlfaBB.com to "Address of website" and clicked the "Always allow" button.

The pages now load a lot faster.

Please check if this helps on your computers as well and post the results here.

I have a problem similar to that when I have to use IE at work to use AIM Express; the red bomb comes up and makes me add it every time to the accepted list. It won't allow me to do it except on an each time basis because of admin. rights.

I use Firefox and don't encounter that problem except for pages that I have set to open only in IE view because Firefox is too clunky in navigating those particular pages; the Alfa bb is not one of those pages.

I'm also running XP; one computer with Norton Systems anti-virus and one with Avast anti-virus.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
FYI: I got further speed improvements by adding "googlesyndication.com" to the "Allow" list.

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
I haven't noticed any signs of the site slowing down. For my network, it is as fast as can be. Google ads aren't slowing me down. I use both Mozilla and IE.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,068 Posts
I wasn't having any problems from home using Firefox or Safari. I'm on the road right now, however, and I tried using Internet Explorer and the site was an absolute dog. Downloaded Firefox onto this PC and now it works fine.

So the posts suggesting changing the settings on IE (or, better yet, dropping IE entirely) seem to be on track.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I haven't had any problems or sen any slowness :confused:
If its the adds and people contributed more i think they would go away.
from an it point, please run spyware removing software on you pc, i like ad aware and its free, you would be amazed at what might be on your pc
thanks, and have a blessed day

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Here are some things you may try...
1) Don't use IE7.
2) Use Firefox.
3) If you are using IE7, turn off the Phishing Filter.
4) Add the following to your IE trusted sites: *://*.alfabb.com
5) Empty your Temporary Internet files.
6) Limit the number of 'subscribed to' threads on the Alfa BB.
7) Go out and play with your kids more often.

·
Registered
9,287 Posts
I ran a sequence of tests using the free www.wireshark.org network protocol analyzer (formerly known as Ethereal) on a multi-boot machine, where I could compare the behavior of Win XP/IE 7.0, Win XP/Firefox, and Ubuntu Linux 7.04/Firefox. Using the same hardware eliminated all possibilities that different results may be obtained because of differences in CPU, memory, hard disk, and/or network or graphics cards. The only variables were software and unforseeable fluctuations in server load and/or Internet or ISP network load.

The tests I performed was measuring the time (at the network layer) it took for a forced reload of the AlfaBB home page (after login) by comparing the time stamps of the first HTTP GET request and the last HTTP 200 OK confirmation indicating all page elements had arrived.

The big surprise is: At the network layer, all three configurations took about the same amount of time to retreive the page elements. This evening between 9:20 PM and 9:44 PM PDT, the response times ranged from 6.25 to 14.17 seconds, but were mostly around 8-9 seconds. When response times exceeded 10 seconds, Wireshark typically showed 1-2 TCP re-transmit requests because requests to a server timed out (a time out occurs if a response was not received within 3 seconds). Such time outs occured both for AlfaBB as well as Google ads, indicating that Internet or ISP network congestion may be to blame. When I prepared the tests between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM this afternoon, there were no re-transmit requests and response times were between 3.04 and 5.03 seconds (compared to 6.25 to 10.32 seconds this evening).

During the afternoon as well as in the evening, FireFox on Win XP and Ubuntu seemed faster than IE 7.0. I say it seemed faster because FireFox displays the page elements as they arrive, while IE 7.0 seems to wait until all page elements have arrived before displaying the page, but the time stamps indicate that, at the underlying network layer, they are about the same. And, while some people stated strong preference for FireFox, I must say that I find the page resizing that happens as page elements load about as annoying as having to wait for IE to display these elements.

Also, I didn't see any clear trend between the Win XP and Ubuntu Linux operating systems that would indicate one or the other would be better or worse on the system I used. I had about the same response times and response time fluctuations with both operating systems.

With respect to the page elements I'm referrring to, these are:

- The content in the threads, delivered from the AlfaBB database.
- Graphics delivered from AlfaBB.
- Banner ads delivered by AlfaBB.
- Ads delivered by Google.

Some of the longest times I've seen are between a HTTP GET request for a file called GET urchin.js that comes from www.google-analytics.com, and a HTTP GET request for /pagead/show_ads.js delivered from pagead2.google-analytics.com: Between 9:19 PM and 9:30 PM, the delay between these two requests was almost always about 6 seconds, but that changed before and after that time (and despite the 6 seconds, overall response times stayed at 8-10 seconds). Although urchin.js is a javascript file that gets executed in the browser (which would take less time on a faster system), I don't believe this file is the culprit. Some of the delay we experience seems to come from how Google ads have evolved: The ads don't use URLs anymore, but JPG images displaying the links. In other words, the ads are graphic maps on which Javascript is applied to extract the mouse position, which is translated into an URL.

For sure, it would help if AlfaBB would run on more powerful servers to get back to response times we like, but that costs money. For the time being, we'll have to live with the status quo.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Nice analysis, Ruedi... Certainly saved people time from performing their own response time tests. I'm not surprised by the Google analytics impact, since this is a key data element for them - and for revenue! I just wish people would simply send a contribution, and we would avoid all of this altogether.

Best regards,

1 - 20 of 53 Posts