Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is ready, as well as the body shell.
I alread put the steering box and upper and lower suspension arms in. What else is helpful to do, prior putting the engine in?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Hi,

If I was going to use Veloce headers, I wouldn't hesitate to put them already in the motor bay before mounting the engine.
Just my opinion.

Rgds,

Thierry

·
Premium Member
3,733 Posts
My memory of the same thing came back as I read your post. I remember using wire to hold the headers out of the way as I lowered the engine.

Hi,

If I was going to use Veloce headers, I wouldn't hesitate to put them already in the motor bay before mounting the engine.
Just my opinion.

Rgds,

Thierry

Reactions: Gordon Raymond

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I would take the generator off your engine, put the headers in the engine bay, mount the throttle rod along the firewall and install all your brake stuff (pedal box, master and plumbing.)
As per this thread, I also took the studs out on the right/passenger side and used internal headed bolts, 8x1.25x25 I think.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Brakes line and fuel lines, wiring loom before all !

Then the throttle linkage system in engine bay

And then the firewall rubber grommets

After you put directly the engine+gearbox. No space, but it works.

·
Administrator
4,159 Posts
Chris is spot on, but to echo everyone else.... the Veloce exhaust manifold & wire it up tightly to the side & out the way - being mindful of your beautiful paint. Oh & jack the back end up as high as you can get !!

Raimondo asked the same question and there's lots of advice here --> Installing engine/trans advice

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
790 Posts
I just went through this the last 13 months in my spare time. The engine and trans were just about the very last things that went in and I still wished I done a few things before that...like the clamps on my fuel pump. Everything is so much easier to install and test before the engine bay is filled up. You just can’t get a wrench, or ratchet in most areas after the engine is in to get to a lot of things. If you check out Bill Gillham’s website you can see what he drops in first, in and out of the engine bay, on his restorations. Wished I had earlier.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
Install the fan.. carbs (especially if DCO3s').. put a tennis ball on the shifter stub...definitely lay in the headers .. they won't otherwise go in.. fan belt ...put the tach and speedo cables in.. no radiator till last... PS you forgot the engine lift bridge that bridges the head studs. Position it on the second row .. remove and reposition to the center and torque the head after installed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went through this the last 13 months in my spare time. The engine and trans were just about the very last things that went in and I still wished I done a few things before that...like the clamps on my fuel pump. Everything is so much easier to install and test before the engine bay is filled up. You just can’t get a wrench, or ratchet in most areas after the engine is in to get to a lot of things. If you check out Bill Gillham’s website you can see what he drops in first, in and out of the engine bay, on his restorations. Wished I had earlier.
So the I am proceeding with brakes and suspension and fuel system first
Thank you

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today I inspected the brake stuff.
The lines I removed 13 years ago are fine, so I‘ll just clean and repaint them.
I try to get all parts together, nearly found all in 3 different boxes but I am missing number 34 - shim under 4 way union.
Could anyone please provide a picture of that part? Have no idea what that is? A thicker washer maybe?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Install the fan.. carbs (especially if DCO3s').. put a tennis ball on the shifter stub...definitely lay in the headers .. they won't otherwise go in.. fan belt ...put the tach and speedo cables in.. no radiator till last... PS you forgot the engine lift bridge that bridges the head studs. Position it on the second row .. remove and reposition to the center and torque the head after installed.
The lift bridge doesn't appear in the picture in the brochure. When was it inteoduced? Seems the early ones did not have it.

Horns afterwards but prior to radiator?
Pedal box in or out?

Saw a video from spiderveloces blog when they moved the engine into the car, without gearbox, seems much easier to put the gearbox in later, any thoughts on that?

Water hoses to heater also prior to engine?

I have the car on a rolling cage right now, so I can decide if I leave it there to have tje luxury of more room in the wheel arches or.move the brake back plates, drums and wheels.
Thoughts on that? How important ist the acces through the wheel arches?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hi,

Just my opinion.

Rgds,

Thierry
If I remember, the headers can go in later provided the brake MC is not installed. That said, putting brake system prior to the engine is a lot easier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts