Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is rapidly approaching paint - which I'm thrilled about. I'm going to do much of the assembly myself but will have the body shop do the big exterior brightwork and the headliner/glass. Can someone remind me what the sum total of interior and exterior trim must be installed when the headliner goes in? Obviously the rear glass and its trim...

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Can someone remind me what the sum total of interior and exterior trim must be installed when the headliner goes in? Obviously the rear glass and its trim...
If I understand your question correctly, no trim goes in prior to the headliner.

Any sound deadening in the roof and the wiring for the interior lights must be installed before the headliner. It doesn't hurt to take dimensions of the locations for the rearview mirror and sunvisor screw holes before the headliner is installed, so you have an idea where to poke holes.

But all of the stainless trim that goes around the rear window and door goes on after the headliner.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's what I was looking for - a preflight checklist for the headliner.

I have never had a car reupholstered professionally. I am presuming that besides the little "sunroof" detail that is unique to our cars, the headliner install should not be a groundbreaking affair for an experienced shop.

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
Thanks that's what I was looking for - a preflight checklist for the headliner.

I have never had a car reupholstered professionally. I am presuming that besides the little "sunroof" detail that is unique to our cars, the headliner install should not be a groundbreaking affair for an experienced shop.

I would say that a shop experienced with older cars won't have a problem. I just had a shop install my GTA headliner from Classic Alfa and they butchered it. They were clueless...

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
I would say that a shop experienced with older cars won't have a problem.
Yea, that's the key. Modern headliners go in completely differently; they are pre-made at the factory, and sort of snap in. Vintage car headliners require completely different skills.

Bodyshops differ between collision repair and restoration, windshield installers either do the newer glue-in, or the older gasketed, so similarly, upholsterers are experienced in modern or old-time technology. Of course, some are just klutzes!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts