Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a diagram or picture of the fuse panel or know how theyr layd out the previous owner put in a fuse that i dont think belongs there....
im trying to see if one of them are the problem because my reverse lights and the idiot lights(the two red , blue , and green on the console by the gauges) dont work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,482 Posts
Ignore the advice to get rid of the glass fuse, provided it is the correct amp rating. It is a Buss GBC fuse and it is superior to the crappy plastic fuses that Alfa used. The ends are stainless steel and they will not oxidize and make high resistance contacts like the aluminum/copper types. GBC fuses are out of production. I bought stack of them on ebay a couple of years ago.
Ciao,
Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Ignore the advice to get rid of the glass fuse,
hey Ed, don't tell people to ignore my advice ;);) Just kidding, I'm learning....I like to keep my car close to original, hence the advice (I did indicate I thought that might not be the issue:eek:) So you found that the glass fuses work better in the old fuse holders? It seems to me that the pointy shape on top of the original ones fits better, but I am willing to accept the fact that the glass ones are better if you have the experience....It is clear that the original fuses/fuse holder are far from perfect, and sometimes need some wiggling:)

·
Banned
129 Posts
The glass GBC fuses also have pointed ends, else they'd fall out of the fuse holder. I've been using them for almost 10 years, and they're great. Finding them for sale anywhere is a challenge, though, as it seems Buss quit producing them. I've got a stash of ~10 boxes, which I'm likely to hang on to for as long as I've got an old Alfa or two.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
thanks for educating me guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are all the fuses in the 1974 Spider 8 amp also? I have not been able to find the fuse sizes in any of the wiring diagrams or any of the many manuals that I have for the car.

1974 Alfa Spider owner.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For a '73 all of the fuses are 8 amps. I 've owned the car since new and I have the original owner's manual. I'm 99% sure a '74 would be the same since the only real difference between a '73 and a '74 was the '74's addition of the alloy Turbina wheels for the '73's steel wheels.

Bob J.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I have not been able to find the fuse sizes in any of the wiring diagrams.....
then you need to ask for one of Papajam's wiring diagrams.......:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes, Papajam's wiring diagrams are a must. I took it to Kinko's and had it printed in full color about 2 to 2.5 ft wide. Then I had it laminated. It's pinned on the wall of my garage for easy reference. It was indispensable this year as I chased grounds and other various electrical gremlins as I put the car back together after a bare metal respray.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Whatever you do, get the aluminum fuses out of there. They will oxidize against the dissimilar metal (brass), and resistance will increase until you have intermittent problems. And that process won't take long. Clean off all the contact shoes with abrasive cloth, make sure they all have tension on them, and replace with brass or copper fuses from Centerline or other source.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts