Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read Mark story about being given a Spider for his birthday by his wife! What is your story when it comes to your Spider and your partner. Is he/she into your hobby? Does he/she encourage you to pursue your dream of making your Spider perfect. Does he/she enjoy going out for a drive etc.

Here is my story:

My wife has always been very supportive. In fact it was she whom convinced me to go and buy a classic car. At the time, we are talking more than 20 years ago I was very interested in classic cars. Visiting events, buying all the classic car and restoration magazines. So at some point she said; why don’t you get yourself a classic car, I am sure you would enjoy it a lot. Of course, I jumped at that and eventually ended up buying my Spider which we have owned since early 2000s. My wife has never driven it, but she does enjoy going for drives with me. And we get a lot of fun out of it. We have been all around Europe in it. Two years ago we moved to the more rural parts of the Netherlands. Perfect touring country, we often go for just a little spin after work.

A few weeks after I had bought it I had been out for a little tour by myself. Very pleased, very proud! As I drove up to our home in the Netherlands, my wife was just seeing an (American) friend of ours out. I pulled up on our drive way as they were saying their goodbyes. The friend looked at me, at my Spider. I could see her think, this guy is going to be 40 soon. Next, she put her arm around my wife’s shoulder and spoke the legendary words: Don’t worry dear, it is much better than a skinny blonde!

Since, whenever I need something for the Spider I will check with my wife: Dear, the Spider needs a new exhaust, only $500, or shall I get a skinny blonde. So far all Spider purchases have been approved without any comments!

Jeroen

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well my story is slightly different because I didn't have a partner when I bought my '71 Spider. In brief I had managed to somehow get a date with a very attractive girl and took her to London to see a movie (Blue Velvet - hard to imagine a worse first date movie). Afterwards, walking through fashionable London on a sunny day she very much admired a red spider.

The relationship didn't progress but I latched onto this Alfa Spider thing and in my shallow way reasoned that if one attractive and interesting girl thought a Spider was cool then so might others. The hunt was on and after some blind alleys I found one.

Unfortunately, quite independently to this I had met the lady who was to become my wife that same week. The joke in the family is that either the Alfa Spider was 100% successful in bagging me the girl of my dreams, or alternately it was a total waste of money. I'll never know.....

I ran it for over 20 years and it's still the classic she remembers with most fondness and the only one which she admitted to enjoying driving. When I got to 3 Alfa's she did threaten that if I got another it would be grounds for divorce. But overall she was and is tolerant and understanding. I will admit to concealing some of the costs though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will admit to concealing some of the costs though.
We are, probably, all guilty of that one; Here is a sobering thought in these Corona-times. If you die, your partner is likely to try to sell your Spider for what you told her it cost!

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
Thirty some years ago we were newlyweds and living in Florida. With her approval I bought a banged up, rusted out Duetto which we often used to make a run to our favorite ice cream store. That made it a favorite car. A year later I took a job in Detroit but the car wasn't worth shipping ( today I'd be restoring it) so I sold it and headed north. My wife said we'd find another up here which we did but not until three children, several job changes and another 15 years passed. She drove it periodically but was more saddled with the minivan and a load of kids.

Then I started buying more alfas. At first this was a mild annoyance for her but ultimately she saw the true value: I buy an Alfa, she gets a room painted. I buy another Alfa, she gets a new couch. And so on. These days she can't wait for me to bring a new one home...

·
Administrator
16,776 Posts
My story starts when I was in high school. I bought a 1961 MGA in 1972. I drove it through my college years and then married my high school sweetheart. A few years later we were starting our family, the budget was tight and I suggested that the old MG was not very practical & we could use the money so I could sell it. She wouldn't hear of it saying, "you love that car, we have too many memories with that car - don't sell it." So I didn't and still have my first car & my first wife. The MG is now my vintage race car and my wife is my "crew chief".

One day she noticed a red sports car (Series 3 Spider) and said she like that one. I told her it was an Italian car (she is Italian) and she replied, "then we should get one". Well, a wise husband knows when he should listen to his wife... I found an '84 Spider for sale on the old Alfa email digest. It needed some engine work so I trailered it home, rebuilt the engine and the brakes, installed a new top and we've been driving it ever since.

And, to answer the obvious question; yes - she has two sisters. But they are nothing like her.

·
Super Moderator
11,434 Posts
My partner loves it. It's noisy, it moves and feels alive. Whats not to love?

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Thirty some years ago we were newlyweds and living in Florida. With her approval I bought a banged up, rusted out Duetto which we often used to make a run to our favorite ice cream store. That made it a favorite car. A year later I took a job in Detroit but the car wasn't worth shipping ( today I'd be restoring it) so I sold it and headed north. My wife said we'd find another up here which we did but not until three children, several job changes and another 15 years passed. She drove it periodically but was more saddled with the minivan and a load of kids.

Then I started buying more alfas. At first this was a mild annoyance for her but ultimately she saw the true value: I buy an Alfa, she gets a room painted. I buy another Alfa, she gets a new couch. And so on. These days she can't wait for me to bring a new one home...
My Mother drove a 72 Spider back in the 70's. I grew up in the back jump seats in it and a 73 spider my 8 year older brother drove.

My wife got a house on the lake. So I have about 30 alfas to buy to catch up to her.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
My Mother drove a 72 Spider back in the 70's. I grew up in the back jump seats in it and a 73 spider my 8 year older brother drove.

My wife got a house on the lake. So I have about 30 alfas to buy to catch up to her.
Wait, by my count I think you're way past 30 cars already !!

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Wait, by my count I think you're way past 30 cars already !!
Maybe. But I think I can get another 30. Its a big house.

Did you get the emails I sent you about the really early Giulia TI?

Also I posted the alfa tech bulletin on rebuilding the burman boxes on your thread.

Stay safe up there.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Heres a good piece of advice when your wife or significant other complains that your spending to much time in the garage.

You just calmly say. "At least you know were I am. I could be out bar hopping instead."

·
Premium Member
13,687 Posts
I am too old for a partner, I have a wife.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I am too old for a partner, I have a wife.
+1 for Ed.

My first wife would have none of this "hobby", maybe that's why she is an ex. Second and current wife encourages to a certain degree, my collection was 3 Porsches, 2 Alfas and a Dodge prior to our wedding. These days I am looking to scale back. Who needs such excess anyway with 11 grandkids, RV, ....

·
Registered
557 Posts
Here is my story - I had a passion for Volkswagen. I flipped them for income and pay my way through school. When I met my wife I just got into pan on restoration of a 61 ragtop sunroof type 1 bug. At the same my father and I had just finished restoring a Morris Minor Woody Traveler. He was ready for a new car and purchased a 70's GTV light green. He purchased from John Norman of Berkley. When I drove the car it was really fast. Remember I was driving 50 HP at best VWs. It took about a year for me to restore the 61 ragtop and I say it came out beautiful! This was around the year of 1988. I drove the ragtop for a year and sold it for $4k (that was big money for a bug back then). My dad keep on pushing me for my next daily driver to be a Alfa Romeo. I talk it over with my wife and we decided to get our first spider in the spring of 1989. It was a 1985 spider graduate with air. I thought why does a sports car have air. It work great. We took a 2000 mile trip in the spider without one issue and we were both hook.
I wife Jetta was approaching 100K miles and she was ready to replace her car. We purchased a 1986 Milano for her. We had his and hers Alfas in the garage for about 5 or so years. that was the end of your Afla lives. We sold both of them, spider was costing me a car payment in repairs and we grow out of the Miliano (kids). Two minivans and two F 150 Ford trucks later and a bunch of years later I purchased my 1984 spider as a date car. I have had to drop some coin into it and my wife is never happy about it, but she is understanding. I have had the 84 spider since July of 2014 and in the 6 years, we have had a lot of fun with the car. We both belong to the Northern California Alfa Romeo Association and the club is very active with a lot of fun runs and good restaurant destinations.

Stay Safe - Keep the 6' thing going until it is all clear. Clean your groceries when you get home. I work in a Hospital so we are extra careful at home.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
"Drop some coin into it" thanks for the reality check. Rare is the case when anyone can own any 30+ years old car and not. If one can diy, it helps, but many of us are far from experts and wrench for fun. Often times it can break the bank and the "hobby" gets sold and replaced with a Ford

·
Registered
557 Posts
"Drop some coin into it" thanks for the reality check. Rare is the case when anyone can own any 30+ years old car and not. If one can diy, it helps, but many of us are far from experts and wrench for fun. Often times it can break the bank and the "hobby" gets sold and replaced with a Ford
There’s a lot of things people can spend their money on vacations boats etc. I choose a hobby that both my wife and I enjoy. Thanks for your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Ken,

"We have had a lot of fun with the car" sums it up. If something as simple as an Alfa spider can accomplish that, hats off. I have said for years, if we run out of money, I will simply go to work and make some more. Fortunately this has worked for me for many years, but these days at 67 I am starting to slow down a bit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts