Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Can somebody tell me what this sensor does on my 1983 GTV6? There are two wires going to it, but some past owner installed a BLUE connector joining the two wires.(It can be seen in the photo)
I put the cap over the broken up rubber that is on top......maybe this is a MAP sensor?....Its located on the right front fender well.

Attachments

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,106 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the updated version of the inertia switch (it replaced the old cylindrical one). It shuts the fuel pump off in the event of a crash. There should be a spring loaded reset button on the top.

People bypass them sometimes because they either fail or trip too easily. Personally I don't think that's very safe. Aftermarket ones are available (I found one on Amazon and retrofitted it to my Giulia, for example).

·
Premium Member
14,776 Posts
The GTV6 also has a fuel pump cut-off switch in the AFM that works through the combo relay. At least that is how it is in my 85 GTV6. The inertia switch was not used in Milanos and I suspect that it is superfluous in your GTV6.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Confirm that it is a inertia safety switch. Remove it, splice the wires together and heatshrink them.
If it was actually a good idea it would have been included on the Milano.

I've personally revived two "dead" GTV6's that had malfunctioning inertia safety switches. These cars don't need anothere electrical gremlin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts