Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been busy pulling apart my engine today... for the first time... and discovered an interesting hose that I hadn't discovered in my research.

It's a very small hose, situated near the breather hose on the camshaft cover, and if I recall, connects to the intake manifold (???).

The curious thing for me though is that it appeared to contain a metal pellet? Or maybe two of them? When I removed the top end of the hose I thought I heard something hit the floor. Then when I removed the hose I noticed something rattling around inside.

So I'm curious what this hose is for and if there's meant to be more than one of these "pellets" or has something just deteriorated with age.... ???

Sorry if it's been covered.. hard to know what to search for!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
It just put oil crankcase gases in to the inlet to be burned again, so "emision control" thing, no really needed, i plug it at the manifold always

·
Registered
145 Posts
At the time (as today), by law, crankcase gases could not be vented to atmosphere, so they are fed in to intake system. Most of the gas go via the main breather pipe in to the air filter housing. At idle/on the over run, there isn't much airflow/pressure drop, so to keep some gas flow going there is this secondary tube. Crankcase gas is fed in to #1 cylinder via the inlet manifold at a point after the throttle plates (high vacuum with the throttles closed). There is a small diameter hole on the fitting on the manifold to limit the flow. On mine, the small hole appears to have blocked up.

It look like yours have been plugged by those pellets.

I'm not aware of any particular pros/cons of leaving blocked or opening it up again.

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
The pellet is actually a Pawl from a transmission. Its one of several that go into the trans case and shifter rods to keep you from engaging 2 gears at the same time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback gents! Interesting.

Sounds like that pawl is not in it's natural habitat then! Someone must have figured this was a good option once upon a time...

I guess these old cars have a lot of history as different mechanics have worked on them over time! Keeps things interesting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts