Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Andrew. I am currently deployed with the National Guard, But I have been able to purchase a few things while I have been here. I had both of them picked up by my parents. I haven't seen either one in person yet. Both are waiting for me in california.

First is a 1974 Spider. I spent $3,300 to purchase it. So far I have had the seatbelts replaed, an air filter installed (PO didn't have one in) had a few rubbers and gaskets replaced.

Check out my photos!

Next was a really good find. A Hardtop for my spider. I have been looking for one for a few months now. Found a really good deal. $150.00. Some hardware was on it, not sure what it is missing yet though. It is in good condition other then a very small crack on the window. It will be an easy fix.

Camper Shell Alfa Romeo Spider 1991

If anyone has an suggestions or comments, I would like to hear them. Thanks

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
very nice spider.. looks allmost new, great find..and one more thing.. as a u.s. miliatry member, you have what some people don't have but wrap them selfs in the american flag, you have .... HONOUR...my respects( x us army member)

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
:):):):).. i like that ' camper shell' for a alfa romeo spider.... just as a safty upgrade, you might want to look for a gas tank cover/shield, for you spider, they cam on later spider.. i think 78 and later, easy to bolt in, just instale a few blind nuts in the floor.and to keep that nasty alfa killer ( rust)away from you spare tire well, get 4 peices of rubber, 1" wide by 1" thick bu 2.5" long, and rubber cemnet these at 90 degrees apart, this way your spare tire will not sit on the floor, but a little above it, this will allow the air to circulate arond the tire, so any water that might get traped in there, will evaperate away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
-bianchi1- Thank you for the reply. So far it seems to be a relaly nice car. I was looking at an oil pan guard already. Sounds like I will have to get one now. I will go ahead and work on the spare tire well when I get back. I know that there was some rust damage to it before, it looks like it was restored though. Yeah I don't think the guy that was selling the hardtop knew what he had, It was a very good deal, and without the keyword of "Hardtop or Hard top" most people would have missed it. Thanks again for the suggestions, first time I have really owned a classic car that I wanted to work on.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
Car looks like it was a steal for $3300. Well done.

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
oil pan gaurd yes, but there is a cover for the fuel tank also

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oil pan gaurd yes, but there is a cover for the fuel tank also
Oh okay, I haven't seen that. I am sure in California I will need as much protection for the bottom of the vehicle as possible. I will look into that also. Thanks again.

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
... ,, the tank guard, my mistake, the tank gaurd goe's above the tank, inside the trunk. sorry about that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very nice. The older they are the rarer they become. If you plan on keeping it for many years you may want to look into the rust happening on the inside of hte hood, the trunk lid, and truck itself, specifically at the joints. At $3300 it does look impressive.

Bob

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
KUJO
A clean looking re-sprayed Spider for reasonable $$$ - Good Find !
It appears as if some parts swapping has been done by a Previous Owner ... the seats and door panels are not original for a 74 - but they look good. The engine compartment appears pretty unmolested ... is that A/C working ???
Your hardtop is a Parrish Plastics after-market production (they're still in business) - a good buy considering the cost of a new one.

My thanks for serving your country - enjoy your new wheels when you return.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Original seats?

Just out of curiosity...are those seats original to a 74? The contours (front extension, side bolsters) look like some sort of an upgrade to what I thought the base S2 seats were like.

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for the replies. I do plan on keeping the car for some time. So when I get back I am going to address the rust issue. I am not sure about the A/C yet, if it works or not. I like the way the seats and door panels look, but I think I am going to replace them with something a little more period correct. I was very happy that the top was Perris plastic, they are now under the name Smoothline custom, and it looks like even if I need to buy new hardware it shouldnt be over about $150 to get it installed.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Welcome to the Group

One vet to another (USAF, 64-68). Thank you for keeping up the tradition!

Nice Spider, a good purchase. Treat it right and it will reward you with many miles of driving pleasure.

Jerry in Phoenix

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the posts and PM's. I have already ordered the tank guard and oil pan guard from a member here. Thanks again for the deal. Any other ideas, or comments.

·
Registered
what part?
9,994 Posts
..............MORE POWER..............................................thats all i have to say,on this matter..

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hoo-Aah, soldier.

You also have your "Honor" as we spell it this side of the pond...

Once a Marine, Always a Marine...

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Excellent buy for $3300. Body and bumpers look great. The Tubina wheels need center caps, which are available and just tap in using a socket close to the same diameter. Seats are from an 80's Spider, it looks like. Fuel tank outlet has been modified, and it probably has an in-tank booster pump installed. Looks like the plastic fuel expansion/evap tank has been removed. The hardtop, if serviceable, is a good buy as well.

Lots of help here on the BB when you get back and start to clean up the little details on the car. And again, thanks for your service and sacrifice for the rest of us.

John Stewart
USAF ret 1976-1998

1 - 19 of 19 Posts