Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Looks nice, but check the 164 buyer's guide before you go out and take a look.

·
Registered
596 Posts
That same listing caught my eye too! Looks nice from the pics. It says "super reliable" so he should have a comprehensive stack of maintenance records to go with it. Go check it out, price is right!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
"Super reliable" except he had to put in a $2000 auto tranny that is more than the asking price :confused:? Well, he didn't say how long ago, but "new"! However, I don't think one can buy an auto tranny "new" for that money - even a rebuilt one by a good ZF shop will cost more than that if replacement labor is included. There's (IMO) a higher failure rate for these ZF auto trannies than, say, the norm; so swapping in a used tranny is somewhat a gamble.

There's always some rust when a car is of this age especially at where (NY?) this car is located. I rather believe sellers who disclose that there is probably some rust here and there - could be just minor or surface etc.

The car looks good/ok from the pictures. But you should really get a detail look and test drive the car. Buying a 164 (at their typical age) is a crap shot (IMO), a couple typical problems can cost you big bucks (e.g. windshield, heater core, ...). If there's engine or tranny problem, you might be looking at write-off or salvage. So, the more you know about the car the less risk since this will reduce the number of surprises!

We bought our 164L verde with double that mileage (210K) for $800! I went for it because it was owned by a long time Alfisti and the car has been maintained reasonably well. I knew what the outstanding problems were (e.g. heater core was bypassed) so there wasn't a lot of surprises!

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the price just seems to good to be true.

anyone else looking at it?

i currently have a 92 veloce with 11k miles and for the price of this 164 it caught my interest.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
If you're close enough, it wouldn't hurt to take a look. Just read the 164 buyer's guide.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Auto 164's never seem to fetch the value of their manual counterparts. Thats about fair market value, maybe a little on the low side. Make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done recently, if so, could be a great buy.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Just wait till I get my Peugeot MI 16, I will eat that 164S of yours alive in those twisties!

·
Registered
7,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is the 164 buyers guide?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
the price just seems to good to be true.

anyone else looking at it?

i currently have a 92 veloce with 11k miles and for the price of this 164 it caught my interest.
That's the price range ($1K-$3K) depending on condition and how much the seller is willing to let go! IMO, the more knowledgeable 164 owners tends to ask for more reasonable prices!

A S4 spider (91-94) would fetch about $10K (higher in top-down season), a 91-93 164 would be like $2K :rolleyes:! Interesting? Well, they are completely different cars and intended for completely different market. I do notice that spiders always turn heads but not necessary the 164's (unless you have some bright color scheme or sport trims etc). You get a lot more car if you buy a 164 but then you might also get a basket of problems or things needed to get sort out with it. Unless you plan to do most of work yourself, a couple visits to a shop can cost you more than the purchase price of the car! So, it can be a car that is cheap to get in but not necessary cheap to keep on driving it especially in the early "sort out" period.

Start here for buyer's guide:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=45657

·
Premium Member
27,323 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,323 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts