Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished reading a long thread about someone putting a T5 transmission in a spider. On the last page he mentioned that when at a stop light the transmission will not stay in first gear because of the weight of the shifting arm.

I have always put the car in neutral any time it is not moving as at a stop light or in a traffic jam. I do this for a couple reasons. One is less wear and tear on the throw out bearing. The other is, in the case of getting bumped in the rear. If the car is in gear with the clutch in, my foot might slip off the clutch pedal and the car will lurch forward into (if there is one) the car in front of me. I keep my foot on the brake pedal. I'm not saying "I'm right", I'm just curious as to the thinking of the older drivers verses the new drivers. I would guess that some of the new (younger) Alfa owners are driving their first car with a stick shift.

Interestingly, it was noted in the news a few months ago that, of the number of cars stolen each year, only a small number are stick shift cars.

Maybe a good thing to have on the window of any car is a sign reading:

"Warning, this car has a stick shift" ..:)

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
If I think the red light will be short I put the car in first and leave the clutch in. If a long red, I do what I did when I had British cars; always take the car out of gear and foot off of the clutch. Their throwout bearing was just a circular carbon rubbing block and you didn't want to wear this by keeping pressure on the clutch. When the light turned green,you "touched" second gear before putting the tranny into non-synchronized first gear without a crunch. I still do this with my Alfas.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Funny how you have those old automatic habits isn't it? I do that....second, into first, then pull away.

The other day a friend stopped by in his early Spitfire, wearing his mask. He stepped out and said, Keys are in it, take a ride! So off I went, grinding gears sadly. But the weird thing is I kept putting my left hand up to the windshield header to flip up the drooping visor.......he doesn't have any visors. I did that every day for all those years, but I haven't driven my car in years while it's been apart. Just a completely ingrained roadster habit! I laughed at myself, flipping the phantom visor up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts