Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... engine for Alfas?

The new Orbital/Fiat-GM Powertrain 'Electron' alloy V6 engine which has been heavily revised by Alfa Romeo engineers will come in two specifications: a 230hp 2.8 V6 JTS and a 260hp 3.2 V6 JTS.
I know they say that they will be heavily revised and all, but I would not buy an Alfa with a GM engine ... NEVER!

What I can add to this is that these v6 engines are going to be built in Adelaide, Australia as they have just built a huge new plant for this engine. Do not know who is actually designing it, but I assume it is not Alfa Romeo.

This engine is destined for new Holden Comodores in around about 2004. Now I know this engine is going to be a quad-cam, 4 valves per cylinder wiz bang, blah blah ... but Holden (sorry Australian forum members) have never made an exciting 6 cylinder engine in their life ... thus what is this new engine going to be like?

I have no experience of GM v6 engines, other than Holdens 3.8 ltr
single overhead cam piece of rubbish, which does not like to rev at all, and infact gets very harsh up the rpm scale. The other interesting thing is that it has quite impressive torque at low to mid revs which dissapears to nothing very quickly. Thus not an enthusiasts engine to me.

Now obviously changes can be made but I'm not at all happy with the concept of a non-Italian engine, let alone a non-Alfa engine in any Alfa.

One of the very best things about any Alfa Romeo is the energy of the engine ....

And they call this progress :( :confused: , I personally would rather see the brand retired and no more Alfas than a badge on a GM car.

Pete

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Same here. I got too excited about the 400hp TWIN TURBO and missed that part.

This is one thing I hate about today's motor industry - platform and parts sharing. They focus more on branding and advertising, instead the real DNA of the car.

GM - a Saab WRX and whats next? A Kia Alfa?

SIGH :(

BTW, pete, what engine (V8) are those in the racing Comodores? I was told they're base on the Corvette, is taht true? They're the coolest touring cars in the world - racing wise.

DTM CLK and BTCC GTAs come next. :D

PSk said:
... engine for Alfas?

I know they say that they will be heavily revised and all, but I would not buy an Alfa with a GM engine ... NEVER!

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Commodore race v8 ...

... that they use in the V8Supercars is a 5 litre Chev V8. Thus the pushrod beauty, I think they are called the Chevy small block.

Great little v8. They are heavily modified and all and sound fantastic. They are fuel injected and most run with a belt camshaft drive and roller rockers, etc.

You cannot buy a Commodore with this engine for the road. What you can buy is a Commodore with the new Chevy Alloy 5.7 ltr v8 :).

GM and Holden are now producing a special block for this 5 litre v8 to lower the top of the block to make the engine similar in size, etc. to the Ford v8 ... all in the name of parity for the series.

Thus this new race engine will have nothing at all in common with any road engine wheth GM or Holden ...

I am glad you like the racing. It is good sometimes. Would prefer that they allowed more manufacturers into the series, myself, but can understand what they are trying to do.

Bathurst is a race track that you just have to make an excuse to travel to Australia to see. You have to drive around it to believe the elevation changes ... blew me away when I first did! (BTW, it is actually a normal road most of the year, so you can drive around it easily :) ... just got to watch out for the cops :) :))

Pete

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: The Commodore race v8 ...

Good old Chevy Small Block. I thought it's something more modern.

No wonder they sound like NASCAR. :D
We have a station on cable here calls Speed, they show the Australia Super V8 pretty often, with all those slide and switching positions :D
Unfortunately, they show cars going around in circle and crashing more often. :(

I would love to go to Bathurst. But I just got my email from Ford Australia saying my application for a job over there had missed their deadline by a few days. :(

PSk said:
Bathurst is a race track that you just have to make an excuse to travel to Australia to see. You have to drive around it to believe the elevation changes ... blew me away when I first did!
Pete

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer ...

But I just got my email from Ford Australia saying my application for a job over there had missed their deadline by a few days
Ford Australia missed out eh! ;)

The Ford Falcons over here now come out with a v8 with quad cams and 4 valves per cylinder ... you can also get a single over head cam version with 3 valves per cylinder!!!

GM though seem to still prefer the push rods. I did notice in a magazine that they are going to produce a push rod v8 with 2 cams, one for the inlet and the other the exhaust cam. This will enable them to alter the valve timing, etc. Quite clever, and pushrods as Nascar and the v8Supercars have shown can reliably handle the work all race long.

Unfortunately, they show cars going around in circle and crashing more often
The crowds love that sort of action, and with the racing being so even (thanks to parity rules) we do get a lot of this sort of action. I must admit that I would be a very grumpy racer in that class, if I got bashed of the race track like they do ... best to stick to the TV then I guess :p

Pete

·
Registered
484 Posts
Don't worry dominicana, Alfa will not come with GM engine. No problem. Seguro!!!!!! El general.

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha

Heh General if only you really had that much power

Don't worry dominicana, Alfa will not come with GM engine. No problem. Seguro!!!!!! El general
The end of Alfas individualism is coming ... :mad: , owe well atleast I will still have my 1750 :p

Pete

·
Registered
98 Posts
Doubtful 4 the states

The point is probably moot, at least here in Hawaii, we didn't even have a real Alfa dealer when they imported them to the US. Oh well, it just means us guys with Alfas out here have exotics.
Cool.
Chevy though? Sounds like what they're doing with Jaguar. Not all bad, not all good.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Pssst Kingpin, Ford owns Jaguar. Or did you mean Saab? :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
In general

I meant more in general terms of putting Detroit pig iron engines in a more sporting marque. I guess if you were specifically talking Chev it's kind of a new strategerie.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Like most other industries, the auto industry is globalizing. There's another word for it . . . mongrelizing. Faster and cheaper is the alter that the corporate leaderships pray at. Note I didn't include "better."

Like it or, I think the corporate leadership in the future and just going to use marques like Alfa just for the name . . . . and the character of the marque be damned.

I have no interest whatsoever in the new cars. For one thing they all look alike, and secondly, the cost of repair for these highly complex and computerized beasts virtually guarantee obsolence and difficulty in restoration and future parts supplies.

I'm sure, eventually, they'll all be made in China, and everybody in the west will either be poor or have the only available jobs . . . . lawyers, politicians, or burger flippers.

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
I've been driving a GM 4.3l Vortec V6 since '95 (in two separate pickups). Dead *** reliable! Doesn't leak, doesn't break. Doesn't make lots of power either but enough torque to snowplow the company parking lot and pick up parts for the Alfa that does break. Sure, it's pushrod design is decades old but newer technology is no guaranty of improvement - Alfas snafu with the V6 timing belts is proof of that!
It always starts in the coldest winters and the hottest summers without missing a beat. IMO, the engine management system is by far the best on the planet and the easiest to diagnose if there ever is a problem.
BUT, it's no fun to drive. It has no soul. There's no joy in fixing it cause the **** thing never breaks. The only time the hood gets opened is to change the oil!
Do I like GM V6s? Absolutely. Would I buy an Alfa with GM V6? Absolutely not!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts