Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been about a year and 8 months since I bought my project GTV 2000, and the other day I realized I have actually never driven one or been in one, ever. I know I'm going to like it when I DO finally drive it, but in the meantime I'm wondering (and this is a on open ended question...) what are they like?!

I looked at some stats and realized that the GTV is dimensionally nearly identical to the 91 miata I used to own. Power to weight ratio isn't far off either but the 2000 is torquier. I'm setting mine up all stock as far as suspension / bushings are concerned (well adding Koni Reds but that's it). Wondering how comfy vs sporty it'll feel compared to modern cars.

Also wondering what youalls experience has been on longer trips or use approximating daily driving.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
humm, that's almost trying to describe the color blue to someone whos never seen it but i'll give it a shot. I've always said the faster you go the smooher they get. There is a fair amount of body roll built into the handling but it keeps the wheels on the road, this is a stock car we're talking about, it will understeer but with the application of some throttle you can make it pretty netrual. It's a forgving car, it will let you know your in trouble long before anything bad happens. they stop better than just about any car on the road or at least back then. I'ts a live rear axle which is bad and good and as far as live rear axle cars go it's probably the best one ever made. That's Road&Track talking not just me. Your biggest problem is going to be keeping your eyes on the road and not waving back so much to everyone that goes by that you lose your situational awareness:)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have a 79 Spider and a 78 Alfetta GT and a GTV. For some reason the GTV feels like it wants to go faster. I find myself driving at much faster speeds through the same roads, and I think to myself I am in no hurry why am I going so quick??!? In any case they are a ton of fun to drive quickly :D
Of the three I have the most fun driving the GTV.:confused: The Alfetta feels the smoothest.
my 02:)
Luis

PS- forgot to mention I have AIP springs and Centerline header on the GTV

·
Registered
896 Posts
Just some additional comments.

The steering is not power assisted, which results in hard steering at low speeds. At higher speeds steering is very smooth. However, due to the absence of power steering you have to turn the wheel much more degrees as compared to a modern car.

Suspension gives feedback on the road condition. You feel each bump on the road. On modern cars you can have a flat rear tyre without noticing it. The GTV 2000 is a very fast car.; much faster than later spiders (those with bosch motronic; 1991-1993). Later spiders are nicer to cruise around.

The car makes lot's of noise (driving, wind and engine noise). The engine noise makes you aware that it is a engine of about 40 year old, but very powerful.

All the above make it a very nice car to drive, and you want to drive it every day...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Given that I own a '93 Miata along with a street/track '69 and a stock '67 GT Jr. - I think I can give you some pointers that can refer to a Miata - even if my Miata is slightly lowered and was used as my street/track car for a long time.

The best feature of driving any classic Alfa, imho, is the steering box. It is fantastic and rarely duplicated - one of the only cars that have as good a steering feel and feedback, imho - are manual steering early Miatas - like the one I have. I would categorize the steering as better than most Miatas (power steering) - and as good as a well set manual-steering Miata - which imho is a big compliment. Tactile feel is also dependent on the steering wheel - my '67 has the thin stock wheel which adds to the feel of a vintage car - not sure what a 2.0L car came with originally.

A stock GTV will roll quite a bit - as mentioned above - like most 60s sporty cars. GTVs are also somewhat nose heavy - so they are not as tossable as a Miata (or, for that matter, a Giulia Super that has better weight distribution).

The gearbox is clearly different from the Miata's very short sweet throws. A good box is just as sweet to row - but it has much longer travel.

Engine feel - My '69 is a 1750 very happy to rev engine but feels like it has a lot of torque compared to a Miata - the '67 1300 is a torqueless wonder - but it is happy to rev. Either will make better noise than a Miata - but the early Miata engines (the 1.6L versions) are very happy to rev and I believe that they have a positive Jerk which makes them delightful to drive - as the faster you go - the faster they accelerate up to about 5000rpm - my 1750 does it also but to a lower RPM and the 1300 does not feel like it has this feature - this makes the Miata feel faster - even if it is not much faster than my '69.

Noise is fantastic - I do not think there are any 4 cylinder engines that can really compete with the classic Alfa when it comes to noise, especially given that overrun carb burble.

Brakes are very good for the period - but braking performance really improved over the years - my wife's Subaru feels like a supercar when it comes to braking compared to most any old cars - even compared to my almost entering adulthood Miata.

I think that the correct way to discuss a GTV feel is "vintage" and "special" - they are not as fast as modern cars or even good 20 years old cars - but every drive is an occasion. They also have that "old car smell" that modern cars just do not have - carbs I am sure will have more of the gas smell and smoke than fuel-injected cars - but there are, at least in stock cars - these smells of old-fashioned seats and the like.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've had my '74 since '86...It was my daily driver through high school and college. As a young fool, street racing around town, my friends VW Beetle would stay with it stop light to stop light, then when the Alfa tached up and hit third gear, it would beat all competitors like Porsche 356, 912, 914, BMW 2002, etc, even Mustang 5.0 on the freeways! Now I look at it as a Vintage Italian, Early 1960's technology, weekend cruiser; finicky and somewhat fragile, though back then I beat the beejezus out of it and it held up surprisingly well. If you want to race new BMWs, Subarus and Mazdas, well forget it, but if you want the '60s-'70s fun, then you're in for good times. Still, I get the most kicks just by looking at it! Good luck

·
Registered
431 Posts
Best fun/$ ratio of anything (on 4 wheels) I've tried. Owned it since 1978 :)

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,632 Posts
"as a young fool" that brought a grin to my face.... what do Alfas drive like???? I'd probably be dead if I'd had anything else:)

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Well I can't answer accurately as I've driven less than two hundred miles in little segments in between projects. And now I'm in the middle of the front suspension so I haven't driven one that is right yet. But already I can tell you that for me already it boils down to one thing - fun! Not the fastest car on the road. Not the lighest or quickest stopping. Not the best handling (although pretty darn good for its day). Although my Lotus Elan was faster and handled better, I know all the time I had it I was jealous of the build quality of the Alfas I saw, drove and helped people work on. These GTVs are definitely tougher than you might think. It seems like they've found the right blend of light weight, comfort, handling (for its day) and toughness. Spiders are fun but I wanted the ride of a coupe this time. All in all more fun than most of the cars of its day and price range for sure.

·
Registered
415 Posts
nothing else.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I hesitate to answer this question because I only took delivery of my 71 GTV last week. I can give you only some initial impressions. First, (no disrespect intended) it drives like a 40 year old car, but with a lot of character. I had gotten so used to the advances in automobile engineering that I had taken for granted the structural rigidity and dynamic capabilities of even basic modern cars. There are a few areas that have not been improved. The steering feel in my Alfa is superior to anything I've driven in recent memory. There is such a direct and tactile sensation that I can almost imagine feeling a piece of paper under the tires. My 2000 M Coupe feels absolutely dead by comparison. The Alfa is an absolute joy in that area. The car pulls well with reasonable torque - mine has a modded 2000 in it so I can't really address what a stock 1750 feels like. The exhaust note is absolutely beautiful with a nice backpressure burble - makes me want to hold it in lower gears longer than what is practical. There is a lot of wind noise, but otherwise the car feels pretty solid. My biggest problem so far is that I have yet to find a comfortable and efficient driving position. I feel like a ham-fisted gorilla driving this thing. My knees hit the bottom of the steering wheel and adjusting the seat fore and aft does not seem to help. Makes moving between pedals awkward. Pedals are very close together which should make for good heel-toe position, but I am going to have to seriously adjust how I position my feet. The more extreme angles I have become accustomed to in heel-toeing modern cars are all wrong for this Alfa. I have so far had trouble matching the revs properly on downshifts - especially important because I have graunched second gear on the way down a number of times. When I get used to driving the GTV and adapt to its idiosyncracies I'm sure my perspectives will change and my appreciation deepen.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is something about sliding into an overtly Italian car that makes the driving experience very special. The smell of leather and forgotten petrol fumes greeting you as you slide into the cabin to the driving position which favours drivers of more simian proportions. The time-honoured gas pedal pump tradition to prime the carbs and other oddities of that era transport one to a time where things were simpler and the driver was so much more involved.
The driving experience almost overwhelms at least four of your senses. The steering wheel feels so natural and the engine so responsive (aurally at the very least) that even if there was no need to do so, it is unbelievably hard not to race everywhere.
It's also not an entirely bad feeling to leave modern NA cars with the same cubic capacity trailing in your exhaust fumes. Mine still does service as an every-second day vehicle and the pleasure hasn't diminished a bit since.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. In 2002 I bought a 1973 GTV 2000 "project" that didn't run, and after cleaning it up (I'm a better body man than mechanic), I ended up selling it before i was ever able to drive it. For years I regretted selling that car, until last month, when I bought another GTV, a 1971 this time. This one didn't run either, but after some work, I got it running and last week, I took a drive in the GTV for the first time ever. My car needs work, but from what I experienced, the car is amazing. I've driven many classics, including many italian cars, and this is one of the best for it's age. It feels solid and fast. It's hard to describe, but it feels like it has a bigger motor than it does with lots of torque. I've owned Fiat's with the same size engine and they had less torque feel. It feels a little heavy, but balanced. Solid. I can't wait to drive mine some more!

@rloewy - Can you recommend a good year Miata to get (for driving feel)? I've heard the pre-95's are great. What years did they have manual steering? 1.6L or 1.8L?

·
Registered
528 Posts
@rloewy - Can you recommend a good year Miata to get (for driving feel)? I've heard the pre-95's are great. What years did they have manual steering? 1.6L or 1.8L?
I like the 1.6L better - pre-'94 - but the manual steering was available on both the 1.6L and the 1.8L - it's probably easier to find on the earlier cars, however.

I own a '93 -and '92 and '93 are less likely to have problems - but '90 had the best suspension from the factory. It is, however, cheap and easy to change the suspension - so if it was me - I would look for a '92 or '93 - but honestly, the differences are not that big with the later cars - and if you find an R package from '94-96 they had manual steering and very good suspension from the factory.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,048 Posts
Compared to what?? It is not as comfortable as my Bentley, not as fast as my Lambo, not as grippy as my Lotus, not as economical as my Prius, not as pretty as my 8C Monza, not as noisy as my Tipo 159, not as reliable as my Merc, not as practical as my Suburban. But since most folks cant afford all of these, ;) , considering all, it's a good compromise all in one package. ;) ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
My GTV has always put a smile on my face when I drive it. It's nimble, torky, makes music to my ears with the carbs and exhaust, and makes any milk run a lot longer. It's just been a great car.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What do GTV's drive like?
Mine is a 74 2l restored to original including paint color and 165r14 tires.
Here it is:

1. So fantastic to drive that I want to drive it whenever I can
2. The seating position in combination with the looks is right.
3. It is one of those cars that Alfa got just right. It looks as good as it drives.
4. It does not need a radio. The sweet sound of that engine screaming at 5000 rpm is not easily forgotten.
5. Lesser cars are boring in my opinion. Manufacturers try to mask poor handling, poorly designed cars with fantastic sound systems, ABS, Esp and looks that are mostly copied many times over.
6. When I drive with friends, the windows are down at the engine plays wonderful music.
7. My Alfa lets me know when I have reached it's limit with a step out on a corner, which is easily corrected.
8. The brakes are fantastic which passes to the driver all the confidence required in any situation. If ABS existed when it was built, it would not be needed.
9. It is so easy to tell when my GTV is running well and easy to pinpoint what may be going off. This is a car that speaks to the driver.

Alfa just got it so right with the GTV. The Alfa design team matched a fantastic design with an engine and drive train to match. There is no other car that speaks to the driver like an Alfa.

Lawrence

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Past dreams of a 1750

As a young GI stationed in Panama I severely hung out with the local Isthmian Sports Car Assc. I drove my own car in our weekend races for awhile and caught the "ability attention" of the local Alfa dealer/ Long story short,I drove alfa's and a lancia for him as sponsor. WOW what a deal and when I got orders to rotate to 'Nam I ordered a "new" 69-70 direct from Italy in the US version. Proudly I drove it off the boat and around the dock and reshipped to New Orleans. I picked it up and left it with my wife agh! pain, When I got back from 'Nam I drove from Houston to Merced Calif and around that area for about 6 months. Fantastic ride! Then tragedy! I was on Rte 1 just south of Big Sur when driving like an Alfa was made to drive (fast and on the edge) I applied the disc brakes in a drifting curve oops the left front disc locked up =ing one 45 degree to the left (while going north) = leaving the roadside in a mighty flying leap. The angels and Alfa engineering were fantastically on my side. The vehicle and 2 occupants (me and friend) stopped 450 ft down a 700 ft, 60 degree + cliff. The vehicle could best be described as equivalent to a hardboiled egg prior to peeling. However no major injuries to the occupants and Along with authorities and bystanders, major shock and AWE at the results. I would concur with all the other posts FUN, trusty and very safe ride that can bring out the best or worst in driving skills. see my post "wanted"

·
Registered
282 Posts
This has been one of my favorite threads yet! The 105 GTV has seduced me to the point of distraction and yet i have never ridden in one or driven one. It seems silly and a little scary to have such a love affair with a mistress so exotic and unknown. And yet she has all the qualities that i want in my first classic car. All of your descriptions have helped me confirm what i have already understood: this is the car for me.
Thank you all for your descriptions. They mean a lot to me as well as r-mm i am sure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts