Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1921 - 1924 of 1924 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Took mine out for a drive today, got back to the shop and adjusted the idle, and was going to go out for another drive to check the new idle setting when the car started to stutter (the computer was cutting the fuel) look down and my temp gauge was at 250F.

Lucky I was less then a block and uphill from the shop so I was able the turn around, shut off the engine and coast back home while listening to my coolant boiling and hissing out of the expansion tank.

Found out that my cooling fans aren't working, when I was adjusting the idle the temp was climbing to the boiling point.

After it cooled down I took it for a ride around the block, everything seems fine except the fans still didn't work and would have over heated again.

Now it's time to run some tests to see why the fans aren't working.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Now it's time to run some tests to see why the fans aren't working.
make sure both fans turn freely by hand...
remove the 2 wires to the sender on the radiator and join them together, key on...do fans work now?
if yes, the sender is bad (or connections bad at the sender, check/clean these first before condemming it)

if no, check the the relay (the white one with the built in fuse, 2nd position from left, top)...I have seen these relays with melted fuses (fuse should be a 30A)

sender PN is: alfa 60506988

1921 - 1924 of 1924 Posts