Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1861 - 1880 of 1935 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The S-4 Spider body design has got to be the most beautiful of them all, the tail just drooping a touch, the perfect nose and those perfectly place head lamps.

Doesn't get any better then that!

·
Registered
989 Posts
The S-4 Spider body design has got to be the most beautiful of them all, the tail just drooping a touch, the perfect nose and those perfectly place head lamps.

Sorry, but, nope. It does have a great look, but my ‘69 has waaaaaaay better body lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ken, is that the garage at the Westfield Mall?

last weekend I washed, polished, waxed and covered my Spider. Side note if you keep your Spider in the garage do you cover to keep the dust off it or keep it uncovered so you can see the beauty of it daily? I got ready for work and went into the garage, uncovered the Spider. As I sat in the my spider in the quietness of my garage it was a wonderful feeling. The smell of the interior, the view of the dash with the two instrument pods and the feel of the wooden steering wheel in my hands. I started the engine and listened to it come to life with a roar. What a way to start a day. It was 6am and I hit the HYW. The roads were clear and I was cruising the Spider at 75 MPH. The car was running smooth as glass. This brings up a second hot topic, shocks. I have KYBs on the front and stock on the back. Not sure how old the KYBs (they came on the car when I bought it) I have own the Spider for 5 years now. This seem to be a good combo. I believe I have stock springs too! The Spider handle the twisties good, but not race car performance. I do have a little dive in the corners. I did get some advice about tire pressure 35psi witch helps a lot, specially since I have a non power steering car. I left work after 6pm so I had a top up ride home too (dark and cold). What another great day for me and my Alfa Romeo Spider. Just one last note: The must unlove model - 3 series come through for me as a car I can drive anywhere and really not worry to much about it. It is reliable and if It gets in a accident, it is not the end of the world.

Have a good day with your Alfa Romeo

Ken,

·
Registered
39 Posts

Sorry, but, nope. It does have a great look, but my ‘69 has waaaaaaay better body lines.
Have to agree that the S1 is the pinnacle in pure design.......last car designed by the main man, Farina. They chopped the tail off to improve aerodynamics. Like a cat, It's still pretty without it's tail but it lacks the elegance of the complete animal......Besides, the S4, whilst being a good looking car, is far too heavy and practical, like giving the Mona Lisa a backpack. All spiders are great to drive and still contain enough of the original design to make them eye-catching today.......I took my S3 for a drive around Windsor Great Park today and Hampton Court before sitting in my lounge, polishing my 68 S1's bumpers, (fenders)....life's good!

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Finally got the look I've been wanting.
That horizontal body seam was in the way. It consists of 4 pieces of metal spot welded together. Likely somewhat structural so I've been hesitant to remove it.
Ah, I went for it. I used a cutoff wheel to remove about 10" at a time. With that 10" removed, I drilled toward the front of the car through all 4 pieces. I then used my wire feed welder to weld inside the holes. I worked my way across. Went ahead and filled the 3 holes with sheet metal.
I feel like I kept the designer's original styling for the rear of the Spider.

Then the grinding, hole filling and bondo work. It's in primer now and I have some small details to address before spraying color on it.
That looks great! My plan was to change my '81 rubber bumper to the chrome model. Did you make any changes to the front?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That looks great! My plan was to change my '81 rubber bumper to the chrome model. Did you make any changes to the front?
Bumperless in front also. Has been for a year. I added a center grille and I'm gonna come up with some kind of mesh grille.

Getting ready to head out into the garage for some more sanding on the rear. I removed the taillamp assemblies and the Alfa Romeo script to do some tidying up. I went ahead and painted the script and the taillamp housings with a Metallic dark metal color. I also did the side marker chromes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Bumperless in front also. Has been for a year. I added a center grille and I'm gonna come up with some kind of mesh grille.

Getting ready to head out into the garage for some more sanding on the rear. I removed the taillamp assemblies and the Alfa Romeo script to do some tidying up. I went ahead and painted the script and the taillamp housings with a Metallic dark metal color. I also did the side marker chromes. View attachment 1603497 View attachment 1603499 View attachment 1603500 View attachment 1603501 View attachment 1603502 View attachment 1603511 View attachment 1603512
That's great! I'm bumperless in the front too. I've got tons of other things to do to the car, but I've still been brainstorming for over 2 year as to how to pull it off so that it has a "factory-like" look to it. Let me know how things evolve.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That's great! I'm bumperless in the front too. I've got tons of other things to do to the car, but I've still been brainstorming for over 2 year as to how to pull it off so that it has a "factory-like" look to it. Let me know how things evolve.

I will keep things up to date.

·
Registered
364 Posts
oday I went to Frank Zucchi Restorations tech session. I learned a new trick! When detailing your car. 1. wash with soap and water 2. wipe down with glass cleaner to remove grease and old wax. 3. apply wax. 4. dress the rubber trim. 5. clean the glass. 6. remove the wax and buff to shine. What I like about this method was, when you dress the rubber you always get some stuff on the paint. If you leave the wax on and buff it off after you finish detailing, all the residue is removed as you buff off the wax!!!! Here is a couple of photos I took today.

1861 - 1880 of 1935 Posts