Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1841 - 1860 of 1935 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Watched the US Grand Prix from Austin good to see Alfa back in F1. They'll never relive the glory day's of the 50's but it's a great way to raise the profile; we need the next generation to love and cherish these cars.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Nothing like a new set of NGK irridium plugs, new ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor to wake up my S4 Spider. Along with a head torque and chain tension. It has always been a good running Motronic S4, but I think it regained about 5 bhp.

Oh, and I went the LED route for the interior lights, including a period-looking A pillar lamp on the passenger side that I installed back in the '90s.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Been procrastinating for a few years on this.

I had removed the 14 ton bumpers long ago. I had an idea on how to finish off the back.

Yesterday morning I got the bug. This is just a start. I will come up with something to finish it off. In the first photo you'll see things hanging off the back. Those are "bucks" to help me visualize some things for later.

Anyway, I had a rear valence that I'd cut from my parts Spider. I was able to use the ends of it, turned upside down and fitted into the open area left after cutting off the old bumper shock mounts. I welded those pieces in, used kitty hair bondo for a base and then lightweight bondo over that. Primed it and that's where it's at for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Wow that's a lot of stuff done!

Could you post a picture of the LED lighted dash, that has to be pretty darn cool!

Nothing like a new set of NGK irridium plugs, new ignition wires, distributor cap and rotor to wake up my S4 Spider. Along with a head torque and chain tension. It has always been a good running Motronic S4, but I think it regained about 5 bhp.

Oh, and I went the LED route for the interior lights, including a period-looking A pillar lamp on the passenger side that I installed back in the '90s.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just so long as she isn't a roller skater I guess? 😉
That may have interfered with his golf game. He would get his best gal, head to the links and return home smiling and completely decompressed.

His British gal wasn't my cup of tea. Not her fault. British temperament and my temperament didn't blend well. Thank goodness he was patient with ladies who could be difficult at times. I definitely got the prize in our relationship.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Could you post a picture of the LED lighted dash, that has to be pretty darn cool!

Here's my 78 Spider and then my 78 Sport Sedan.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
LED interior light question...

Sorry Murray-- didn't mean to lead you astray, I was referring to the footwell lamps and the A pillar lamp I had installed. No LEDs in the instruments... yet. But wow! No more dim interior!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Finally got the look I've been wanting.
That horizontal body seam was in the way. It consists of 4 pieces of metal spot welded together. Likely somewhat structural so I've been hesitant to remove it.
Ah, I went for it. I used a cutoff wheel to remove about 10" at a time. With that 10" removed, I drilled toward the front of the car through all 4 pieces. I then used my wire feed welder to weld inside the holes. I worked my way across. Went ahead and filled the 3 holes with sheet metal.
I feel like I kept the designer's original styling for the rear of the Spider.

Then the grinding, hole filling and bondo work. It's in primer now and I have some small details to address before spraying color on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Nice video Ken. Good music choice. Is that Bill Frisell by any chance?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
last weekend I washed, polished, waxed and covered my Spider. Side note if you keep your Spider in the garage do you cover to keep the dust off it or keep it uncovered so you can see the beauty of it daily? I got ready for work and went into the garage, uncovered the Spider. As I sat in the my spider in the quietness of my garage it was a wonderful feeling. The smell of the interior, the view of the dash with the two instrument pods and the feel of the wooden steering wheel in my hands. I started the engine and listened to it come to life with a roar. What a way to start a day. It was 6am and I hit the HYW. The roads were clear and I was cruising the Spider at 75 MPH. The car was running smooth as glass. This brings up a second hot topic, shocks. I have KYBs on the front and stock on the back. Not sure how old the KYBs (they came on the car when I bought it) I have own the Spider for 5 years now. This seem to be a good combo. I believe I have stock springs too! The Spider handle the twisties good, but not race car performance. I do have a little dive in the corners. I did get some advice about tire pressure 35psi witch helps a lot, specially since I have a non power steering car. I left work after 6pm so I had a top up ride home too (dark and cold). What another great day for me and my Alfa Romeo Spider. Just one last note: The must unlove model - 3 series come through for me as a car I can drive anywhere and really not worry to much about it. It is reliable and if It gets in a accident, it is not the end of the world.

Have a good day with your Alfa Romeo

Ken,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
The Spider needed a fill-up and even though my regular station is only a mile and a half away I took the six mile route over hill and dale. Gassed up, drove the long way home, parked in front of my shop, and sat in my rocking chair, smoked my pipe and admired Pininfarina's work for a few minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
last weekend I washed, polished, waxed and covered my Spider. Side note if you keep your Spider in the garage do you cover to keep the dust off it or keep it uncovered so you can see the beauty of it daily? I got ready for work and went into the garage, uncovered the Spider. As I sat in the my spider in the quietness of my garage it was a wonderful feeling. The smell of the interior, the view of the dash with the two instrument pods and the feel of the wooden steering wheel in my hands. I started the engine and listened to it come to life with a roar. What a way to start a day. It was 6am and I hit the HYW. The roads were clear and I was cruising the Spider at 75 MPH. The car was running smooth as glass. This brings up a second hot topic, shocks. I have KYBs on the front and stock on the back. Not sure how old the KYBs (they came on the car when I bought it) I have own the Spider for 5 years now. This seem to be a good combo. I believe I have stock springs too! The Spider handle the twisties good, but not race car performance. I do have a little dive in the corners. I did get some advice about tire pressure 35psi witch helps a lot, specially since I have a non power steering car. I left work after 6pm so I had a top up ride home too (dark and cold). What another great day for me and my Alfa Romeo Spider. Just one last note: The must unlove model - 3 series come through for me as a car I can drive anywhere and really not worry to much about it. It is reliable and if It gets in a accident, it is not the end of the world.

Have a good day with your Alfa Romeo

Ken,
Are you sure that your springs are stock? Your car appears to sit higher than stock to me.

Doug

1841 - 1860 of 1935 Posts