Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1481 - 1500 of 1875 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I started working on a refresh of my 1978 spider's center console, which quickly turned into a repair job. I started a thread about it in this sub-forum, if anyone wants to read a lengthly rant about center console minutia or chime in with your two cents.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Good old Skyline. Many fond memories ripping from Highway 9 to San Francisco to have buffalo stew and beer at Tommy's Joint. Datsun 2000........

·
Registered
346 Posts
Try 32 front and 30 year and see how it feels in the twisties.

Bay Area. My old stomping grounds. Where do you run for fun?
Highway 9? Skyline Boulevard?

Through Bonny Doon?

Yes I feel very lucky some of the best roads to run on like HWY 1, Skyline, HWY 9, the great redwoods in Marin county. The also make a practice of driving the Alfa to work on Friday.

I all most bought a 2000 Datsun bought but it was a bucket of bolts and not worth the money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes I feel very lucky some of the best roads to run on like HWY 1, Skyline, HWY 9, the great redwoods in Marin county. The also make a practice of driving the Alfa to work on Friday.

I all most bought a 2000 Datsun bought but it was a bucket of bolts and not worth the money!

Quite the opposite.......

·
Registered
346 Posts
Quite the opposite.......

I always had my eye on a 1967 1/2 Datsun 2000. It still had the old style dash and the 5 speed. Unfortunately when I was looking for a sports car back in 2014 I was originally looking for a Datsun 2000 since I already had owned a couple of Alfa’s (85 spider and a 86 Milano). The Datsun 2000 I was looking at was owned by some tech guy didn’t know anything about cars aand when I took it for test drive it was rattling from bumper to bumper. My families” have own few Datsun over the years and they were good cars. Only if we know the 510s were going to be worth so much!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I always had my eye on a 1967 1/2 Datsun 2000. It still had the old style dash and the 5 speed. Unfortunately when I was looking for a sports car back in 2014 I was originally looking for a Datsun 2000 since I already had owned a couple of Alfa’s (85 spider and a 86 Milano). The Datsun 2000 I was looking at was owned by some tech guy didn’t know anything about cars aand when I took it for test drive it was rattling from bumper to bumper. My families” have own few Datsun over the years and they were good cars. Only if we know the 510s were going to be worth so much!

I was Parts Manager at Palo Alto Datsun from 1975 to 1980?

I specialized in Datsun Roadster and Nissan Patrol parts.

Had a 510, 610 hardtop, 521 pickup I autocrossed in Watsonville, numerous Patrols and a 260Z I built up with Frank Leary's help.

Remember him?

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Always liked the roadster 2000, use-ta, could-a, would-a,,,
Yup, I remember too.
But today I finally finished refurbishing main wire loom on my ‘73
Now to re:install

Attachments

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Today marks exactly 4 years of Spider ownership. We have a bottle of Cava to celebrate tonight. I plan to change the oil and filter tomorrow. It was too hot to be outside today.

It is off to the shop Monday morning for a pre-trip check before we drive to Pittsburgh in a week. Do not want any surprises.

John

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Always liked the roadster 2000, use-ta, could-a, would-a,,,
Yup, I remember too.
But today I finally finished refurbishing main wire loom on my ‘73
Now to re:install
Install is easy now!!

Did you make it from scratch or what?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I finally installed the starter relay. I never was able to access the connections at the starter solenoid but slowcreek pointed me at another way to skin this cat. I didn't have to disassemble a thing and it went smoothly. It took quite a while as I've not had a lot of experience in automotive electrical work. I went slow and quadruple checked everything and then checked it all two more times before connecting the battery and firing her up.

Thanks slow creek:clap:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I finally installed the starter relay. I never was able to access the connections at the starter solenoid but slowcreek pointed me at another way to skin this cat. I didn't have to disassemble a thing and it went smoothly. It took quite a while as I've not had a lot of experience in automotive electrical work. I went slow and quadruple checked everything and then checked it all two more times before connecting the battery and firing her up.

Thanks slow creek:clap:
Musta worked. I didn't see any smoke or hear any fire engines.......

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Slowcreek

no, not from scratch. Had the loom I removed from '73 & checked each line, repairing where needed & replacing when needed. I worked on it with "spare" time as allowed.
velocedoc knows when I started, says 2 yrs to complete, not really sure at this point. Kinda lost tract but glad its done :grin2:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
no, not from scratch. Had the loom I removed from '73 & checked each line, repairing where needed & replacing when needed. I worked on it with "spare" time as allowed.
velocedoc knows when I started, says 2 yrs to complete, not really sure at this point. Kinda lost tract but glad its done :grin2:
I had an under dash fire on my 78 which extended all the way to the coil. No flames. Just smoke.

I took a harness from my donor car and did pretty much what you did, using Papajam's diagram. I eliminated a bunch of crap for the Spica etc and installed it into my car. Wasn't that bad. would I want to do it again? Hell no!!!!

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
I must be a sucker for punishment, I like doing the re;wires.
:nerd:
guess that says it all

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I do also. It's kinda relaxing, isn't it?

Who are you referring to when you mention Velocedoc?
Not sure why, but I have always enjoyed fixing wiring issues. These days not so much and it's tricky with corroded connections 30, 40, 50 years old. Deoxit has become my friend.

Got the engine/transmission in yesterday. Maybe exhaust and carbs today.

1481 - 1500 of 1875 Posts