But this morning I lost all my 'cool guy' points... On a steep hill, waiting for a traffic light a loud motor cycle starts rev'ing right behind me (top down). Annoying. But the Spider growls nicely if I ask it, so I check to make sure I'm in first and give her a goose when the light changes.
Pops right out of first. Engine roars, and I roll back a tiny bit. Shove it into first, but the gears don't sync - "grind", ugh.
Foot slips on the clutch and she stalls.
Got back to working on the Spider again. I had it in storage at the Auto Hobby Shop at Ft. Lewis where I completely rebuilt the front and rear suspension and replaced the engine and trans mounts, but that's an hour's drive away from home. My motivation began to wane as the car fought me every step of the way. The final straw was when I tried to remove the thermostatic actuator and broke it, because I had to remove the Spica pump because one of the studs that hold the filter housing cover pulled out; then snapped off the rusted studs that held the TA on the intake manifold.
Life, work and stress got in the way and after I dragged it back to my home in Seattle I just let it sit.
Last week my vacation started and I decided to do something, anything, to get started again. So I washed the car, and spent the next four hours rubbing and polishing it with various abrasives, starting with Bon-Ami. It was that bad.
It's now almost as shiny as the day it rolled out of Earl Scheib 30 years ago. Definitely has "patina" in the form of deep scratches and chips. "Patina" is another way of saying "too cheap to have it painted".
With a burst of motivation, I gathered all the parts I had in various boxes and laid them all out on a table. I started with reinstalling the dashboard. I bought an uncracked replacement dash date-stamped 1984; and it had the later style cowl vents in the front. I wanted to replace those vents with the earlier style, but the openings in the dash were just a little bigger than the original dash, and they wouldn't fit. I ended up gluing a length of black shrink tubing from Harbor Freight to make the outside diameter big enough to fit snugly in the holes.
I had the dash out to replace the blower motor that was completely ruined from being a mouse condo while it was stored in a barn for 15 years.
After studying Papajam's wiring diagram I made sure that all the connections on the back were in place, and stuck it in.
My next major task is to replace the intake manifold with one that doesn't have rusted, broken-off studs. This will entail removing the injectors and throttles and linkage while it's in the car; because that's the only way you can get to the mounting nuts.
While it's out I'll install the used Wes Ingram injection pump.
Pulled out the old intake manifold. It has a bunch of rusty, broken studs and replacing the whole thing is "easier" than extracting the broken studs while it's in place.
I unscrewed 6 nuts and then tapped it with a hammer. It wouldn't budge. I got a bigger hammer and a wedge and started whaling away at it but still no go. I was ready to put away my tools and walk away for another couple of years, but I stepped back, took a deep breath, and assessed the problem.
I removed the seventh and final nut and the manifold popped right off.
While the intake was out I had plenty of room to install the new (used) Wes Ingram Spica fuel injection pump. I did not have plenty of room to tighten the mounting nuts, which are way down on the bottom by the suspension crossmember. I got them on, but I might have to have one of the neighbor's kids tighten them for me with their small hands.
Today i put on Powerflex polybushings on the top arm inner side to body on my S2 Spider. These are the only bushings i havent yet replaced over the last 3 yrs on my car. I have had this annoying and loud clank and rattle noise from the right side suspension which i just can’t locate. So i was hoping these final polybushings would do the trick.
But, unfortunately the old bushings looked just fine to me. I replaced them anyway. Took me an afternoon of fiddlin, not too difficult.
Tomorrow it’s testdrive time. Hope the clanking noise is gone now or else i will be truly bewildered.
Fingers crossed !
Nothing left to do on my car but drive her which is what I did today.
The only problem I have is not spotting any other Alfa's out there!
I'm tired of getting a thumbs up and having to wave back at 911"s coming the
other way. haha
Trying to get my car back together for a long drive to the AROC convention later this week. Fuel rail is out, intake is still out, seats out. One door panel to put back. This is after new motor mounts, complete interior cleaning, SEM spray on panels, new stereo and speakers, new fuel injectors.
Clock is ticking...
Throwing out a pride of ownership note. My gt 1300 jr won best Alfa of the day at the 2014 Tutto Italiano 2014 as entered prior to my purchase.
Back to regularly scheduled ‘Spider’ programming!!!
After camshaft changed and many hours trying to set the weber DCOE right, I finally decided to stop the guess work and purchase a Wide-Band AFR meter. The good news: I was correct when i sensed that I was running too rich when Main Circuit come into action (AFR of 10.9 to 11.1). Idle...
Hello Everyone, firs off thanks to Vin and Rich for their early guidance. I found this site thanks to Vin's "Head Gasket" thread. I myself do not own an AR, but I find myself putting one back together as it were. Since I'm a newbie here I don't know how to link things properly so allow me a...
I did a search, and could not find a step by step procedure.
I think that it will also be very similiar for earlier models, but please check yours.
Firstly, I would like to thank the many various threads and posts by BB members that I used to study from.
Also, I would like to...